5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funny smell after towing ?

Reaction score
I’ve had a bunch of trucks throughout my life ranging from 1 diesel to a lot of gas engines and towed stuff with most all of them. I recently purchased a new 2500 with the 6.4 and just got back from picking up a new heavy travel trailer. I constantly monitored the evic and all operating systems were normal the entire 200 mile trip towing 9100 lbs. I stopped twice during the trip and both times I smelled what my previous experience tells me was a hot transmission or brakes, and maybe hot rubber. I checked everything I could and nothing was out of the ordinary. I don‘t recall this happening with the diesel 2500 but I have CRS which affects my ability to remember..:) Has anyone experienced this and found out what it was ? I’m wondering if it isn’t the factory Firestone tire’s heating up under the pressure and friction. The pin weight of the trailer is 1130 lbs, thats heavy. Overall the truck did great with the gas engine. I averaged around 9 mpg running around 65 mph on I-95 and lower speeds on secondary rounds.

I’m going to post the same in the tires section and anywhere else I think it fits. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve had a bunch of trucks throughout my life ranging from 1 diesel to a lot of gas engines and towed stuff with most all of them. I recently purchased a new 2500 with the 6.4 and just got back from picking up a new heavy travel trailer. I constantly monitored the evic and all operating systems were normal the entire 200 mile trip towing 9100 lbs. I stopped twice during the trip and both times I smelled what my previous experience tells me was a hot transmission or brakes, and maybe hot rubber. I checked everything I could and nothing was out of the ordinary. I don‘t recall this happening with the diesel 2500 but I have CRS which affects my ability to remember..:) Has anyone experienced this and found out what it was ? I’m wondering if it isn’t the factory Firestone tire’s heating up under the pressure and friction. The pin weight of the trailer is 1130 lbs, thats heavy. Overall the truck did great with the gas engine. I averaged around 9 mpg running around 65 mph on I-95 and lower speeds on secondary rounds.

I’m going to post the same in the tires section and anywhere else I think it fits. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

Hey, Appalachian American. Have you had the chance to visit a dealer for this concern? Since they will be in the best position to pinpoint the cause of this, we do recommend scheduling an appointment at your earliest convenience. Send us a PM if you need any assistance.

Kate
RamCares

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
You may want to post up on the 2500 HD forum. We'd need more details about the smell. Did you feel the tires? Hubs/rims for hot brakes? Were your trailer brakes adjusted correctly? Was the smell coming from the ft, back of the truck or the trailer?
Hard to know how to help you, does your truck have a way to monitor trans and coolant temperatures on the dash screens? So many variables...

Reaction score
Hey, Appalachian American. Have you had the chance to visit a dealer for this concern? Since they will be in the best position to pinpoint the cause of this, we do recommend scheduling an appointment at your earliest convenience. Send us a PM if you need any assistance.

Kate
RamCares
Have not had it to dealer, this is the first occurrence. Just wondering if it’s an issue that maybe someone else has had the same experience. Nothing seemed to be wrong with the truck just the smell. Thank you for offering to help me get into the local dealer but I’m not sure they would be able to diagnose. Harnessing the power of a forum like this and everyone’s experience, in my opinion, can be a better and faster solution. I will see a dealer if the problem persists.

Reaction score
You may want to post up on the 2500 HD forum. We'd need more details about the smell. Did you feel the tires? Hubs/rims for hot brakes? Were your trailer brakes adjusted correctly? Was the smell coming from the ft, back of the truck or the trailer?
Hard to know how to help you, does your truck have a way to monitor trans and coolant temperatures on the dash screens? So many variables...
The smell was as described in the original posting, a combination of hot brakes/tranny/rubber, can’t say any single one for sure. Only coming from the rear of the truck, unable to say left or right, it was windy. The trailer brake gain was spot on. I always tow with the EVIC set to monitor all systems at the same time, engine coolant, tans temp, oil temp. Everything was in the normal range which is amazing given the weight of the trailer. The truck is awesome, I love it !!

Thanks for the advice on the HD forum. Good idea, even though it is a Gen 5 version the HD forum will more likely have someone who has experienced towing issues like this.

RamCares

Reaction score
Have not had it to dealer, this is the first occurrence. Just wondering if it’s an issue that maybe someone else has had the same experience. Nothing seemed to be wrong with the truck just the smell. Thank you for offering to help me get into the local dealer but I’m not sure they would be able to diagnose. Harnessing the power of a forum like this and everyone’s experience, in my opinion, can be a better and faster solution. I will see a dealer if the problem persists.

Understood, Appalachian American. If you need assistance at any time though, we are just a private message away.

Kate
RamCares

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Maybe buy one of those IR guns (HF has them for like $30 or less) and check your hubs/wheels and tires periodically.
I‘ve towed for years, some being heavy but never smelled the tires, only occasionally brakes but nothing else.
Maybe you can you hook it up (after getting an IR) and tow for a few miles, pull over and see.
What tires and what inflation psi?
Back in the day before all this fancy temp stuff we would simply touch the rear hubs and the trailer bearing covers as we walked around... crude but it was something.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
How many miles?
Trim level on the 2500?
Smell up front or rear?
Pop the hood at all?
How heavy was the trailer?
Weather conditions and ambient temp?

I’m on the mobile app so I can’t see your sig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread