5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

rugger1869

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn and want to install one of these drain valves when I hit 5000 miles. Have any of you installed one in your 5th gen and if so what is the part number? They don't have anything newer than 2017 for Ram on their website.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Valvo max is another option. Waiting for my next oil change to install.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, many have, search Fumoto F106SX, that's what I have installed and attached a short piece of tubing to avoid the sway bar. Keep in mind the first time you remove the oil drain plug, the oil will come out VERY fast, have a funnel/catch ready for the event.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed with the F016SX - the odd location behind the sway bar makes the first flow hard to catch and the last wispy flow to drain on the bar... so yeah, add a piece of hose.

as for other types of valves (i've owned Fumoto, Fram, Valvomax, and some rando knockoff) - I only suggest Fumoto as it's the only one which flows the free-est (look at any spring loaded valve type bolt and there's a bit of hardware in the flow line) plus anything that is spring/seat loaded has a passive failure point. From an engineers standpoint there's a reason why ball valves are the tried and true valve allowed on high pressure applications like boilers etc

Isopure24

Reaction score
106 is what you need. Think of that as what thread fits the trucks. All variants like “SX” or “N” is just the type of nipple. Personal preference

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Went with an EZLube tonight. That front sway bar just plain stinks for location.

Attachments

• IMG_3323.jpeg
    IMG_3323.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3324.jpeg
    IMG_3324.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3326.jpeg
    IMG_3326.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_3325.jpeg
    IMG_3325.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3322.jpeg
    IMG_3322.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 148

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One tip when draining before you install the valve:
I push the plug in (gently) as I loosen it and I used a piece of cardboard to act as a ramp to guide the oil. Once the plug is off the thread, pull the plug away and let the cardboard do its thing.
Be sure to fold the carboard into a v-shape first to avoid making a wide waterfall of oil.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One tip when draining before you install the valve:
I push the plug in (gently) as I loosen it and I used a piece of cardboard to act as a ramp to guide the oil. Once the plug is off the thread, pull the plug away and let the cardboard do its thing.
Be sure to fold the carboard into a v-shape first to avoid making a wide waterfall of oil.
I did that (pre-Fumoto) using an old plastic, flexible cutting board. Easy to wipe down and reuse, too!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Since 2006 I've had three trucks with the Fumato valve. I always let the dealer do the first oil change and they also install my valve.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did that (pre-Fumoto) using an old plastic, flexible cutting board. Easy to wipe down and reuse, too!
basically anything that you can use as a ramp for the oil to follow.
We use carboard because we have a crap ton of empty boxes at the shop and it's getting too warm to do bonfire lol

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
basically anything that you can use as a ramp for the oil to follow.
We use carboard because we have a crap ton of empty boxes at the shop and it's getting too warm to do bonfire lol
Yeah - irrelevant after installing the Fumoto, though.

Now the oil filter…that’s another story.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah - irrelevant after installing the Fumoto, though.

Now the oil filter…that’s another story.
oh yeah. the oil filter is such a pain in the back.

i used the same method to guide the oil down and it went well until time for me to fully take the filter off. My hand slipped and spilled oil from inside the filter everywhere LOL

Insanity

Reaction score
I bought an oil udder for the filter. I haven't used it yet still have about 2000 miles before I change the oil.

Insanity

Reaction score
Maybe you’ll have better luck with it than I did.
Will see when it's time. I have changed a lot of oil on lots of machines. The Polaris rangers and rzrs were the worst even a oil udder would not help there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online