5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Window Tint % Preference

Jawzz

Reaction score
I did 15% on front two and the installer placed tint on the back two and the rear glass to make them all match. I did 50% on the windshield. I used LLumar CTX nano ceramic and I could not be happier. I think that there is a higher quality tint by 3m “formula one”, but my installer did not have that product. The 15% on the sides doesn’t look too dark from the inside day or night but it looks very dark from the outside (in a good way). I have had 5% in the past
b8764b481355bd9f6a9a5e682ba47a83.jpg
71762a570ada58413587ab7143e6bd6a.jpg
and it made it difficult to drive at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks great! I'm less than an hour away from you in Muskogee and looking for a good tint shop to do my truck. Who did the great work on your truck? Did you have any problems with the computer going bad with windshield window tint? One guy I called said he had 2 Ram 1500s go bad like that.

Brenden A

Reaction score
Looks great! I'm less than an hour away from you in Muskogee and looking for a good tint shop to do my truck. Who did the great work on your truck? Did you have any problems with the computer going bad with windshield window tint? One guy I called said he had 2 Ram 1500s go bad like that.
Itegrity Customs Address: 8532 E 41st St, Tulsa, OK 74145

I saw on this forum that some people have had issues with the computer going bad. I did not know about those issues before taking in my truck. That being said, I have not had any issues with my tint. I would recommend their work.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I get the need for something on the windshield but for nightime visability you all need to be careful how much tint you use. Its all good for UV rejection howevernight driving with older eyes, you could have some safety issues.
With all those concerns and at age 63 I went clear ceramic on the ws, it does help cool (and our trucks need that thanks to the AC problem) but won’t try anything darker (plus its illegal here in NC).

shrubs2000

Reaction score
My local shop said I would've had to sign a waiver if i had my windshield done.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
Has anyone done 35% on the front windows. It's illegal to add ANYTHING in NY, but I'd like to see how different it is from the rear. I'd love to do 20% to match the rear, but my thought is if I have a little contrast instead of a match, it may not draw as much attention. It's not like 15 years ago, when I doubled up 5% on my mustang, and they are writing tickets for revenue!. At that point I should have just spray painted the glass with black paint! Love the value of keeping the heat out of the cab, but trying to be somewhat legally illegal.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone done 35% on the front windows. It's illegal to add ANYTHING in NY, but I'd like to see how different it is from the rear. I'd love to do 20% to match the rear, but my thought is if I have a little contrast instead of a match, it may not draw as much attention. It's not like 15 years ago, when I doubled up 5% on my mustang, and they are writing tickets for revenue!. At that point I should have just spray painted the glass with black paint! Love the value of keeping the heat out of the cab, but trying to be somewhat legally illegal.
I did a 35 ceramic front and there’s 20 ceramic on the back over the factory 20, so whatever % that is. I’ll try to get you a pic.

Find out if NY is a state where they can just write a tint ticket without first stopping you for anything else, meaning is it a “primary” or “secondary” issue. If secondary then you have to be stopped for a primary reason (speed etc). But knowing NY’s finances, they probably will write anything. Then there’s the annual inspection. NY has one and so does NC, so you have to find a shop that will “ignore” the extra tint, and they are getting fined for that (though not very many here in NC).
Lastly if you get a Dr’s note that could save you.

Attachments

• 1C6E6386-B32F-4DE0-85A9-F256FC3F55DC.jpeg
    1C6E6386-B32F-4DE0-85A9-F256FC3F55DC.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 238

Jawzz

Reaction score
Itegrity Customs Address: 8532 E 41st St, Tulsa, OK 74145

I saw on this forum that some people have had issues with the computer going bad. I did not know about those issues before taking in my truck. That being said, I have not had any issues with my tint. I would recommend their work.
Thank you for the info brother!

2Fast-4U

Reaction score
I did a 35 ceramic front and there’s 20 ceramic on the back over the factory 20, so whatever % that is. I’ll try to get you a pic.

Find out if NY is a state where they can just write a tint ticket without first stopping you for anything else, meaning is it a “primary” or “secondary” issue. If secondary then you have to be stopped for a primary reason (speed etc). But knowing NY’s finances, they probably will write anything. Then there’s the annual inspection. NY has one and so does NC, so you have to find a shop that will “ignore” the extra tint, and they are getting fined for that (though not very many here in NC).
Lastly if you get a Dr’s note that could save you.
I like the looks of that. I'll be honest, I love the 20% on the front to match the rear, but the 35% front my be my way to go.

Jawzz

Reaction score
My local shop said I would've had to sign a waiver if i had my windshield done.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Do you think the benefits of having the ws clear tinted for heat rejection is worth it for the possible risk of frying the computer? I'll be honest, I was Gung ho before but once I learned of the computer issue I went limp.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
cdb73b4c6d9e0f46b09e8c139f885145.jpg

20 all the way around. I have to say barely made a dent in this California heat.

R

Rob5589

Do you think the benefits of having the ws clear tinted for heat rejection is worth it for the possible risk of frying the computer? I'll be honest, I was Gung ho before but once I learned of the computer issue I went limp.
The shop I used mentioned that it takes an extra 90 mins for the windshield due to all the covering needed to keep the elec's safe.

JRD

Reaction score
I prefer 5% on the windows & 35% on the windshield. I had this on my Durango I just traded in last week and plan on doing the same to my Laramie. After 5 years with that set up I’m going blind with factory tint

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
I prefer 5% on the windows & 35% on the windshield. I had this on my Durango I just traded in last week and plan on doing the same to my Laramie. After 5 years with that set up I’m going blind with factory tint

I don’t tint the windshield or a top strip. I should have.

IceStormz

Reaction score
I ended up tinting my Limited with 5% on the fronts, 15% on the rear and back windows. With a 5% visor strip on the front windshield. As an added bonus, I also got the panoramic sunroof at 5%!

My installer here in Mississauga, Ontario said he was extremely nervous about doing the front windshield. He said the electronics cost $1700 alone (CAD) and that doesn't include the labour to replace. He said it's best to go with a visor strip and avoid the trouble of getting the 95% on the windshield. I ended up agreeing with that. If the installer doesn't feel confident, I have no confidence either.

With that being said and having it on for 5 days, the 5% is extremely dark during the nights when driving on unlit/country roads. A simple solution would be to roll down the windows but if you live in a cold/snowy region, that won't be realistic.

I would suggest 15% to be on the safe side in terms of visibility and prevent being pulled over for tint. I drive cautiously and respectfully on the road so typically officers don't have a reason to pull me over.

Of course, local laws differ. 35% is considered acceptable under the Highway Traffic Act in Ontario and we do not have yearly "state/provincial" inspections.

Klute

Reaction score
Always had the darkest allowed (35% in MO). Looks nice and fairly close match. Now that I'm getting a bit older and my eyes not so good I get an awful reflection from the cluster when driving at night, even worse if it is raining. If it's dark w/o any street lights I have to roll down the windows to see.

Users who are viewing this thread