5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Sway Bar Enhancement

z51hdtp

Reaction score
I installed a Hellwig rear bar on my 2020 Ram Laramie 4x4 and it greatly improved the handling but I was still not satisfied with the front end lean. My truck has a 1 & 3/8ths (35 mm) front
sway bar. There is no after market bar and no type of enhancement kit. By accident I ran across a Prothane sway bar bushing kit #19-1503 sold by suspensions.com for $32.00 all in. The kit contains 2 metal brackets, 2 urethane bushings and 2 grease packs. The bushings fit a 35 mm bar and the brackets replace the stock brackets.

I was able to slide under the truck on the driveway and remove the two 15 mm bolts holding the stock bracket to the frame, one on each side of the truck and pull the sway bar away from its mounting point. Discard the stock brackets, the stock bushings are not split and would need to be cut to remove, I just slid them up on the bar and out of the way toward the end link mounting point, they can be cut off but I left them there to test the effectiveness of the mod. The new bushing are split - they need to be thoroughly greased on the interior area that surrounds the bar, I use marine grease rather than the included grease packs as I have had better success with it in the past. With some effort, open and twist and push the new bushing on the bar and relocate the bar to the original mounting point and place the new brackets over the bushing. Reinstall the 15 mm bolts and tighten.

I was pleased with the results, took the sway out, better and smoother ride and more responsive handling, just what the truck needed and the way it should have come from the factory. An easy mod with pleasing results. I have done this mod to many other vehicles with the same positive results, glad I found this kit that is a perfect fit on the RAM 35 mm front bar.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I installed a Hellwig rear bar on my 2020 Ram Laramie 4x4 and it greatly improved the handling but I was still not satisfied with the front end lean. My truck has a 1 & 3/8ths (35 mm) front
sway bar. There is no after market bar and no type of enhancement kit. By accident I ran across a Prothane sway bar bushing kit #19-1503 sold by suspensions.com for $32.00 all in. The kit contains 2 metal brackets, 2 urethane bushings and 2 grease packs. The bushings fit a 35 mm bar and the brackets replace the stock brackets.

I was able to slide under the truck on the driveway and remove the two 15 mm bolts holding the stock bracket to the frame, one on each side of the truck and pull the sway bar away from its mounting point. Discard the stock brackets, the stock bushings are not split and would need to be cut to remove, I just slid them up on the bar and out of the way toward the end link mounting point, they can be cut off but I left them there to test the effectiveness of the mod. The new bushing are split - they need to be thoroughly greased on the interior area that surrounds the bar, I use marine grease rather than the included grease packs as I have had better success with it in the past. With some effort, open and twist and push the new bushing on the bar and relocate the bar to the original mounting point and place the new brackets over the bushing. Reinstall the 15 mm bolts and tighten.

I was pleased with the results, took the sway out, better and smoother ride and more responsive handling, just what the truck needed and the way it should have come from the factory. An easy mod with pleasing results. I have done this mod to many other vehicles with the same positive results, glad I found this kit that is a perfect fit on the RAM 35 mm front bar.
https://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/191503. The Prothane website has them listed for $20.97 for the set. Looking back at site, this is the one without greaseable zerts on the mounting bracket.

Universal - Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings - 35mm (1.37 inch)​

Manufacturer: Energy Suspension
Part Number: 9.5168 Price on these is $22.96.
You ordered the 19-1503 and it had the zerts? I am thinking about trying it. Just double checking before I try and order them.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Great tip. Thanks for posting.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed a Hellwig rear bar on my 2020 Ram Laramie 4x4 and it greatly improved the handling but I was still not satisfied with the front end lean.
What tires do you have? That is also another hidden/unknown fact about vehicle lean. Larger tires with soft sides will allow lean (and other drivability issues at times).

z51hdtp

Reaction score
https://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/191503. The Prothane website has them listed for $20.97 for the set. Looking back at site, this is the one without greaseable zerts on the mounting bracket.

Universal - Greaseable Sway Bar Bushings - 35mm (1.37 inch)​

Manufacturer: Energy Suspension
Part Number: 9.5168 Price on these is $22.96.
You ordered the 19-1503 and it had the zerts? I am thinking about trying it. Just double checking before I try and order them.
No zerks, have never had an issue with squeeking using marine grease, the $32.00 included shipping and tax.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so /70 series? Your tires can cause a lot of "roll" as the edges are larger and softer. My 20s are 55 series so a lot less sidewall and less roll in turns .. I can take turns much faster than my co-workers with more tread on the sidewalls .. I also have the Air Suspension as well which is more stiff than my co-workers' stock suspension (which theirs also sits higher as well).

1lowcab

Reaction score
Awesome. (y)
I did this to my old 08 Nissan Armada with great results also. I ran the poly bushings front and rear, stopped it from feeling like a huge marshmallow.

Zeeya

Reaction score
No zerks, have never had an issue with squeeking using marine grease, the $32.00 included shipping and tax.
Do you think the Rebel sway bar would be the same diameter? I'm going to try it. I drive a lot of lease roads in W Texas and they are nasty to say the least.

z51hdtp

Reaction score
Do you think the Rebel sway bar would be the same diameter? I'm going to try it. I drive a lot of lease roads in W Texas and they are nasty to say the least.
Easy to get under the truck and measure the bar, most are 1 3/8ths.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Check the 2500 and 3500 front bars to see if they are larger diameter and would fit the 1500. Ram puts the part number right on the part.
When I had a Tundra, I replaced the front bar with one from a Sequoia. Same front suspension, but fatter front sway bar. Noticeable improvement.

Steve

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those interested the energy 9.5168 does not fit on my rebel. The bolt hole spacing is not wide enough.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those interested the energy 9.5168 does not fit on my rebel. The bolt hole spacing is not wide enough.
That's odd, didn't know they were different swaybars on the rebel. What are you asking for the kit?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bushing fit the sway bar just fine, but the bolt holes were not spaced far enough apart. I am going to see if they fit my dads Silverado before returning them to Amazon. Those can have 32mm, 34mm or 36mm sway bars tho.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like the prothane bushing is the way to go.

Attachments

• A5578E5A-EE9F-4EA5-B6F0-FCB18A563CBB.png
    A5578E5A-EE9F-4EA5-B6F0-FCB18A563CBB.png
    243 KB · Views: 54
  • 0EB9742C-FE3A-4D7E-8E4C-53C7C8D62A0D.png
    0EB9742C-FE3A-4D7E-8E4C-53C7C8D62A0D.png
    294.3 KB · Views: 54

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got finished installing the prothane sway bar bushing in red on the front sway bar, I don’t know what kind of grease the ship with them but that stuff is like glue! Very sticky.

Haven’t driven with it yet but will post an update when I do.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t notice any difference in body roll or ride quality from the poly bushings, no extra noise or vibrations either. I like the idea that these bushings are greased, time will tell how long it lasts before it needs to be re-greased. I may add a grease fitting in the future.

I also ordered a set of factory bushings in case I had any issues with the poly ones, one thing I find odd is that the factory bushing and replacement mopar bushings are a one piece design, meaning they’ll have to be slid onto the sway bar for replacement.

To me it also feels like the replacement mopar bushing are extremely hard, even harder than the poly bushings. Mopar bushings are fabric lined on the inside meaning they are designed to be installed dry without grease, the lining reduces friction enough to not warrant grease.

Reactions: c3k

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After 5 months of using the prothane bushings I started hearing a clunk in the front end again. Turns out one of the brackets used to hold the bushings on has bent allowing the entire bushing to move within the bracket itself. The flat metal bracket just isn’t strong enough for our trucks I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread