5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front left clunk

Bighorned

Reaction score
Hey guys, here is the deal. Its been extremely cold and recently I have developed a non metallic clunk not loud when hitting small rapid bumps like on my dirt road. I checked all bolts and they seem tight. the rubber in the sway bar bushings seems like it has a bit of a gap all around the metal bracket. Body mount was checked for tightness too. I removed the sway bar links when installing leveling kit a few months ago.

Ryderbiker

Reaction score
I noticed something similar on my 2019 and was told by a mechanic friend that it’s usually ball joints that make this sound. My truck is lifted with ridiculously large wheels and my components wear much quicker than a stock truck would.
I’ll be pulling it apart this weekend to check everything.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since you said non metallic it could be the fender liner

Volman197020

Reaction score
Same issues. They have already greased every fitting and tightened every bolt. Also made the adjustment to the fender liner. It's actually louder than when I originally took the truck in. They are now doing the A pillar body mount TSB replacement. Fingers crossed. Will update.

DrBob18

Reaction score
I had a similar noise that ended up being a sway bar end link that was a little loose on the driver's side front. Tightened it up and clunk went away. Was most noticeable with the steering wheel slightly off center/turning.

Volman197020

Reaction score
Happy to update that with the A pillar body mount replacement the truck is quiet so far. Here's hoping it will stay that way.

Bighorned

Reaction score
thanks guys. Its weird. Happens when first driving in morning. I turn the steering wheel the other day when parked and I hear a faint clunk when I aggressively go back and forth. Checked all bolts on front suspension and all is tight. As I drive for a while and things warm up the noise isn't nearly as bad. Im stumped.

dannymcd

Reaction score
Ahh the "Chrysler Clap" I've had that issue on every chrysler product I've owned with the exception of my 1988 Dodge Aries. My 2003 caravan, my 2005 seabring, my 2018 pacifica...well I haven't gotten it on the Ram yet but I figure it's only a matter of time, I'm guessing it's the swaybar link bushings. Once it starts its nearly impossible to get it to stop, sure you'll get it to go away, but like that bad ex that you know you should stay away from but don't it'll be back.

ImageX

Reaction score
thanks guys. Its weird. Happens when first driving in morning. I turn the steering wheel the other day when parked and I hear a faint clunk when I aggressively go back and forth. Checked all bolts on front suspension and all is tight. As I drive for a while and things warm up the noise isn't nearly as bad. Im stumped.

Refer to the TSB above. I had this issue before the TSB even came out. Due to multiple posts on this forum..... I helped dealer find the problem. 👍 They fixed it nearly years ago and it hasn’t been an issue since. Take her on in.

ImageX

Reaction score
Ahh the "Chrysler Clap" I've had that issue on every chrysler product I've owned with the exception of my 1988 Dodge Aries. My 2003 caravan, my 2005 seabring, my 2018 pacifica...well I haven't gotten it on the Ram yet but I figure it's only a matter of time, I'm guessing it's the swaybar link bushings. Once it starts its nearly impossible to get it to stop, sure you'll get it to go away, but like that bad ex that you know you should stay away from but don't it'll be back.

Negative. It’s not the sway bar bushings. Refer to the TSB above. THAT is the issue and once corrected..... it’s good from then on out.

ImageX

Reaction score
I’d have to check my build date but my truck was purchased new in July 2019. The A-pillar/floor TSB fixed it. Try rocking the truck back and forth quickly. Hear the thud/knocking/tapping coming from driver floor area? If so, it is highly likely that it is the same thing. Complain and show dealer this TSB.... if they can;t figure it out on their own.

Bighorned

Reaction score
Would the body mount stop making the noise in warm weather or after I drove for a while. This is killing me

ImageX

Reaction score
Would the body mount stop making the noise in warm weather or after I drove for a while. This is killing me

It could. There is only one sure way that it’s going away though..... the dealer has to fix it. Show them the TSB or have them look it up so they can fix it right the first time. Before the TSB came out and we were trying to diagnose it.... they literally tried to blame my ball hitch, saying it was clunking around. 🤣

Bighorned

Reaction score
It could. There is only one sure way that it’s going away though..... the dealer has to fix it. Show them the TSB or have them look it up so they can fix it right the first time. Before the TSB came out and we were trying to diagnose it.... they literally tried to blame my ball hitch, saying it was clunking around. 🤣
Wow. Thats a dealer for ya. Thanks bud.

Users who are viewing this thread