5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

immersivenc

Reaction score
Awesome news! Hopefully it doesnt re appear, did they say if they were going the take the rack and pinion apart to forsure out why it was clunking, regardless it's great news!

I did not ask that question, but they did say they were going to move the issue up the chain to FCA. There was another 5th Gen truck in for service the day after mine came in for the exact same thing. Service advisor indicated he thought it was something FCA would be looking into in short order due to the cost of repair. Curious how long it will take for a TSB on this.

warvet

Reaction score
I did not ask that question, but they did say they were going to move the issue up the chain to FCA. There was another 5th Gen truck in for service the day after mine came in for the exact same thing. Service advisor indicated he thought it was something FCA would be looking into in short order due to the cost of repair. Curious how long it will take for a TSB on this.

I hope it's soon. That's an expensive fix, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone finds the exact "part" on the rack/pinion that's causing the issue. I really appreciate your feedback man. I'm glad that my service advisor actually gladly accepted my comments about the forums and possible fixes.

immersivenc

Reaction score
I hope it's soon. That's an expensive fix, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone finds the exact "part" on the rack/pinion that's causing the issue. I really appreciate your feedback man. I'm glad that my service advisor actually gladly accepted my comments about the forums and possible fixes.

I almost feel like the truck drives better now than it did when I got it. Steering seems a little more articulate and the alignment seems better.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I almost feel like the truck drives better now than it did when I got it. Steering seems a little more articulate and the alignment seems better.
Hi.. I wanted to ask about yours because mine is doing it. So I wanted to see if they were the same. I can easily replicate the problem if I perform a fairly aggressive quick turn to either direction. Just wanted to know so I could give the dealer some input when they say they haven't heard of this yet

immersivenc

Reaction score
Hi.. I wanted to ask about yours because mine is doing it. So I wanted to see if they were the same. I can easily replicate the problem if I perform a fairly aggressive quick turn to either direction. Just wanted to know so I could give the dealer some input when they say they haven't heard of this yet

Yes, exactly the same here. I feel like I may have heard it again a time or two even after having the rack and pinion replaced. However, it is tenfold better than it was, so I'm wondering how that could be... seems like it would have either fixed it 100% or not. Wondering if it's just some kind of design flaw with the steering geometry or the rack and pinion assembly they're using. I will definitely be monitoring this closer.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok. I think I will wait. You may be having the exact same issue. I think its a bad Rack then. They may have replaced it with a unit that developed the same exact issue. Mine was not immediate. it was over time. It is worse now. I can actually replicate it. I could not before. I would really appreciate if you can keep us up to date with your truck as you are the first to have attempted to have it fixed. You said it was gone at first so thats what leads me to the statement I made.

Since it is a new problem they have not made a change in production yet. They are all electric racks. Thanks so much for the update. Good luck with yours.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
That's how mine was at the start, started around 700 kms, couldn't replicate it all the time, only did it while turning to the left on uneven ground. Now 800 kms later it does it both ways, and while going straight, it is FAR worse now and getting worse by the day it seems. I can feel it in the floor and don't feel it at all in the steering wheel which is why I have a hard time believing it is steering related. I have already had the truck in once and nothing was figured out. Going back in Thursday.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I now have the same issue, when turning left. Like almost a knock one time. I will take it in if it gets a little worse.

immersivenc

Reaction score
I urge anyone who has the issue and can replicate to please take your truck in to the dealer. The more of us that bring up the issue the more likely they are to jump on it. Drove mine earlier and no clunking. If it gets worse again, leads me to believe a redesign of the rack and pinion assembly is needed. It has nearly vanished for me (for now) but I have heard it at least once after repair. I will probably sit back and wait for a while to give some of you time to go in for the issue and see if FCA comes up with anything.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost can guarantee that the upper and / or lower intermediate steering shafts need to be replaced. The symptoms are exactly what describes a shaft with play in it. Usually what happens is the grease in the joints is moved around when replacing other components, like the steering rack, and it makes it seem like it's fixed. I bet after a few hot days in the sun you'll notice the clunk again after all the grease ends up at one end of the shaft and allows more play at the joint.

immersivenc

Reaction score
Almost can guarantee that the upper and / or lower intermediate steering shafts need to be replaced. The symptoms are exactly what describes a shaft with play in it. Usually what happens is the grease in the joints is moved around when replacing other components, like the steering rack, and it makes it seem like it's fixed. I bet after a few hot days in the sun you'll notice the clunk again after all the grease ends up at one end of the shaft and allows more play at the joint.

I have heard this has been an issue in the past generation trucks. The whole steering clunk seems to be nothing new with the Rams the more I look into it.

warvet

Reaction score
I have heard this has been an issue in the past generation trucks. The whole steering clunk seems to be nothing new with the Rams the more I look into it.

is yours still doing it after the rack replacement? I saw you say you've heard it a time or two. Mine ---it's mostly on irregular turns.....turning left/right on an angle as the trunk is going down out of a parking lot onto the road where the truck rocks left/right from the wheels not hitting the bump at the same time. Some regular turns, I can feel it......but not most of them.

immersivenc

Reaction score
is yours still doing it after the rack replacement? I saw you say you've heard it a time or two. Mine ---it's mostly on irregular turns.....turning left/right on an angle as the trunk is going down out of a parking lot onto the road where the truck rocks left/right from the wheels not hitting the bump at the same time. Some regular turns, I can feel it......but not most of them.

I heard it once or twice right after, but it wasn’t nearly as pronounced as before... been driving the truck for several days now and haven’t heard it, and I’ve been trying to make it clunk. It is leaps and bounds better, not able to duplicate now. I’m real curious as to whether it will worsen over time back to how it was. At this point I’m almost more confused about what could be causing it than I was before. I’ll be having them check he steering shaft as riccnick suggested if it continues.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
I'm curious too, especially considering mine, and most
Peoples from what I have seen didn't start as
Soon as they get the truck, and the clunk had worsened over time. Mine is going in again Thursday for the clunk and a list of other stuff that isn't right.

immersivenc

Reaction score
I'm curious too, especially considering mine, and most
Peoples from what I have seen didn't start as
Soon as they get the truck, and the clunk had worsened over time. Mine is going in again Thursday for the clunk and a list of other stuff that isn't right.

Keep us posted!

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, exactly the same here. I feel like I may have heard it again a time or two even after having the rack and pinion replaced. However, it is tenfold better than it was, so I'm wondering how that could be... seems like it would have either fixed it 100% or not. Wondering if it's just some kind of design flaw with the steering geometry or the rack and pinion assembly they're using. I will definitely be monitoring this closer.
Bring it back and get it fixed. No reason you should have a clunk at all

warvet

Reaction score
I just filled out a super long survey I received from ram and mentioned this clunk at least 10 times. I'm not sure if you guys have received the survey yet. It was emailed to me

Ken1085

Reaction score
I test drove a dealer demo Laramie locally last week with 5,000 miles on it and I heard a strange noise on two occasions while turning. Might be same thing happening to it that you guys have described.

immersivenc

Reaction score
Well, drove the truck last night and the clunk has returned. Did it several times. Usually happens on low speed turns near full-lock of the wheel. I’ve already got a call into the dealer. My service advisor has already uttered the words “buy back.” I really hope it doesn’t come to that. I love my truck but am super disappointed in this issue that we are having a tough time resolving.

Anybody have any updates on their trucks? I know several of you were going in for service for this issue.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im able to go a while without it then once I lower it all the way to entry level it returns. Leads me to believe its a suspension issue versus rack. I cant duplicate it all the time. I was trying to show my wife and it wouldn't do it. Then I went to the mall and had to lower it to get under a entry point and it came back as soon as it went down and turned. Im sure there will be a fix. they just have to identify it get a truck with the issue and fix it in house. Im sure they are already in the process and will release a TSB about it. It takes time when these things happen.

They have to identify the fix. Get the fix outlined. Get the corrected parts if needed in manufacturing verify the amount of trucks with the issue. Then send it out.

I had been through this before with a Cadillac and was not patient. I sold the car back. I was done with it. If you cant wait it out then sell it back. I understand the frustration. I've been there. Ive said it before and I said it when signing the papers. I bought a warranty because of it. First year issues are normal. The 2018 Mustang guys with the manual and the auto trans are pulling their hair out. The manual keeps breaking shift forks. The auto keeps failing. They JUST released a TSB on the manual. Its been a while. They are also having a batch with ticking engines.

All brands have issues. The amount of parts being made by the various manufacturers all coming together one final product. They all have their various issues. Ram or FCA doesn't make all parts put in the truck so those various companies get a bad batch of castings such as the case in the Ford manuals. It ends at Fords door but could Ford really have prevented that? They test and drive the trucks but then they go into production and then the real parts start to get made.

I hope they fix it. I know they will but Ill give it some more time. I called my dealer and made them aware. They said they are aware of the issue. That tells me FCA is starting the process.

Users who are viewing this thread