5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front end clunk while turning - FIXED - TSB # 23-047-18

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does it regardless of direction. It’s just when there is a lot of articulation.

Mine is different now not the same since the brackets . I know it has to do with the isolators. I’m going to have to start my interview process for dealers. So I can get the isolators replaced. I looked at the part numbers from the earlier post and two isolators are revised parts this the AB at the end . The bolt though is still AA the same not revised. I could buy the isolators for about $60 for both sides.

I’m sure the body is lifting on turns is what is happening. You can see in the previous picture. For that lower mount to be touching the frame it has to be lifting. The articulation is contributing to the lifting because the frame is tweaking. The body should be mounted rigid to the frame as the work in unison to maintain rigidity.

I just have to either find a dealer I trust to work on the truck or fork over the money. Not sure but I have looked at everything. I have put the vehicle on a lift and checked bushings and and every nut and bolt. Nothing looks out of the ordinary other than the four isolators.

Hard to explain but I think the isolators is coming unseated and repeating itself making the popping noise .

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does it regardless of direction. It’s just when there is a lot of articulation.

Mine is different now not the same since the brackets . I know it has to do with the isolators. I’m going to have to start my interview process for dealers. So I can get the isolators replaced. I looked at the part numbers from the earlier post and two isolators are revised parts this the AB at the end . The bolt though is still AA the same not revised. I could buy the isolators for about $60 for both sides.

I’m sure the body is lifting on turns is what is happening. You can see in the previous picture. For that lower mount to be touching the frame it has to be lifting. The articulation is contributing to the lifting because the frame is tweaking. The body should be mounted rigid to the frame as the work in unison to maintain rigidity.

I just have to either find a dealer I trust to work on the truck or fork over the money. Not sure but I have looked at everything. I have put the vehicle on a lift and checked bushings and and every nut and bolt. Nothing looks out of the ordinary other than the four isolators.

Hard to explain but I think the isolators is coming unseated and repeating itself making the popping noise .

Thanks. It’s kinda but opposite. I want the body to be same height what I want to do is close the gap seen in the picture previously. In order to close that gap I either make a space that goes between the isolators and frame or modify the metal spacer in the center of the top mount allowing for the bottom isolator to be tighter to the frame.

A floating body is not something I can imagine is a good idea to anyone. Seriously. That is ridiculous. I’ve built cars and worked on cars my whole life since I was 15. This is an error on their part. I didn’t notice the gap until after I had began taking it apart. It was just assumed that they were tight.

I’d like to get my hands on the revised isolator so I can show everyone the revisions.

I have to get this fixed. It’s driving me crazy. To be clear there was noise being made by the brackets as well. The tapping noise is gone but there is a larger noise now. Not felt in the floor boards . Hard to describe but a clunk none the less

warvet

Reaction score
Thanks. It’s kinda but opposite. I want the body to be same height what I want to do is close the gap seen in the picture previously. In order to close that gap I either make a space that goes between the isolators and frame or modify the metal spacer in the center of the top mount allowing for the bottom isolator to be tighter to the frame.

A floating body is not something I can imagine is a good idea to anyone. Seriously. That is ridiculous. I’ve built cars and worked on cars my whole life since I was 15. This is an error on their part. I didn’t notice the gap until after I had began taking it apart. It was just assumed that they were tight.

I’d like to get my hands on the revised isolator so I can show everyone the revisions.

I have to get this fixed. It’s driving me crazy. To be clear there was noise being made by the brackets as well. The tapping noise is gone but there is a larger noise now. Not felt in the floor boards . Hard to describe but a clunk none the less
Mine is just left hand turns and is never right hand turns but has all but left for now (maybe once in 2 days). Hey, the pic that was posted earlier. Which part is the isolator? Is it that black part. I’m trying to ID, based on the pic, the absorber and isolator that were replaced on mine.

Last edited:

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
its the rubber portion that is shaped like a crown I guess. there are two part top and Botton.. its the rubber

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@demonico19 would you be able to tell me the torque specs for the bolts for the 4 isolator bolts. the two at the front doors and rear doors. ? I want too make sure I torque them correctly before going further

Joker4L

Reaction score
Mine has only ever happened turning right. I have never heard it turning left. I took the driver side isolator off and bracket, cut the long bolt a little bit and put a fat washer on one of the bolts on the bracket and I haven't heard the clunk since. I also sprayed the entire assembly with WD-40 Tacky lubricant and it seems to be working! Fingers crossed. I have driven at least 200 plus miles since and no noise. Even my wife hasn't heard it.

Icecold77

Reaction score
I first noticed the clink/ popping noise at 700 ish kms. Over the course of another 700 kms it has got noticeably worse daily. It almost always does it while turning left out of my driveway or out of a parking lot where the truck is articulated a bit, it has started doing it while driving straight over bumpyish roads. I had the truck in once for the issue and they could only find a loose connector to tie up but that didn't do anything. I have a thread on ram forumz for this issue and a few people over there have said they have it too, but no one knows what is causing it.

I have the same issue... brand new truck..literally ordered it and it just came in.. clunk at low speed.. heard it pulling out of my driveway to many times for a week old...

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue... brand new truck..literally ordered it and it just came in.. clunk at low speed.. heard it pulling out of my driveway to many times for a week old...
I feel your pain. I drove my 2013 so many trouble free miles. Almost didn’t buy a new truck because I loved the old one. Just couldn’t resist. Now I wish I wouldn’t have. This problem has just about consumed me. I’m not a millionaire so purchases like this one are BIG purchases. So I really expected FCA had done their due diligence one this line but they hadn’t.

I’m working hard to find a solution. My bracket fix took care of some of the noise but some remains and am tracking it down as best I can. Ram really let me down.

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
Man, that's concerning. Especially when the dealer is reluctant to do anything without a TSB.
It’s not concerning. It’s just how the system works. It’s just ****ty dealers who won’t do work based on a star publication.

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
@demonico19 would you be able to tell me the torque specs for the bolts for the 4 isolator bolts. the two at the front doors and rear doors. ? I want too make sure I torque them correctly before going further
I can check again when I get home. Been at fiat training all week. For some reason 88 foot pounds is sticking out to me but I’ll check.

Delmonico_19

Reaction score
This may be counterintuitive but would tightening the bolt so there is more preload on the bushing/isolator and where the bolt is always in contact with metal above it also help? Trying to also understand how some trucks have the clunk and some don't since we will have the same parts. Just a thought since maybe it is also something in the assembly process.
Because it’s not a part issue. It’s a stamping of the body problem. There’s a couple spots where parts of the body get spot welded together and it leaves a high spot in the channel. Causing contact with the reinforcement bracket.

Bwarren2

Reaction score
What % of people on this forum have the clunk? I am potentially buying my truck tomorrow, would I hear the clunk on the test drive?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What % of people on this forum have the clunk? I am potentially buying my truck tomorrow, would I hear the clunk on the test drive?
Hard to pinpoint; just over 15% comment about suspension/brake concerns, but not all are clunks some are brake squealers. I plan on doing a long test drive and want to find a turn with an elevation change somewhere to get the truck to roll a little while turning. Seems like that’s what causes it to occur. Try both left and right.

Data: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/how’s-your-2019-ram-running-take-our-poll.1017/

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because it’s not a part issue. It’s a stamping of the body problem. There’s a couple spots where parts of the body get spot welded together and it leaves a high spot in the channel. Causing contact with the reinforcement bracket.
I looked at mine and didn’t see any witness marks. There was no paint rubbed or anything.

I don’t know if you can get your hands on the revised isolators or not and if you can see which ones they suggest get replaced. Because they have revised the isolators as evidence from the AB part numbers

Phiefer

Reaction score
I will soon be taking delivery of my new truck soon. I also want to take a pre delivery test drive. My driveway seems to be a good uneven surface to turn into. Can I assume the noise can be heard going forward and also backing up?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will soon be taking delivery of my new truck soon. I also want to take a pre delivery test drive. My driveway seems to be a good uneven surface to turn into. Can I assume the noise can be heard going forward and also backing up?
A tad off topic, but I’m paying attention to how much I worry about this. No question it is a bad problem for some... but not all and not most according to our limited data points. So for me, without knowing how prevalent this problem is, I’m going to give it “the old college try” to make it clunk on an extended test drive and if it doesn’t I’m going to assume my truck is good until proven otherwise and start enjoying the truck. This is a chance I have decided to take.

To respond to your question: Each clunker seems to clunk in slightly different conditions, but the trend is rolling while turning if I’m not mistaken, in one the other or both directions. I wouldn’t assume it would happen backing up.

Phiefer

Reaction score
A tad off topic, but I’m paying attention to how much I worry about this. No question it is a bad problem for some... but not all and not most according to our limited data points. So for me, without knowing how prevalent this problem is, I’m going to give it “the old college try” to make it clunk on an extended test drive and if it doesn’t I’m going to assume my truck is good until proven otherwise and start enjoying the truck. This is a chance I have decided to take.

To respond to your question: Each clunker seems to clunk in slightly different conditions, but the trend is rolling while turning if I’m not mistaken, in one the other or both directions. I wouldn’t assume it would happen backing up.
I'm assuming both directions as well.
I will not let finding the clunk stop me from purchasing the new truck, only want to get it identified for repair.
Based on this forum, it seems FCA should be close to a solution (thanks to this forums help).

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, and at the end of the day this is only an annoyance if you let it get to you. It does not interfere with you getting from A to B, safety, or normal operation of the truck.
My diesel Excursion had a random suspension clunk that took a year to track down. Once I convinced my wife the front wheels were not going to fall off, we both drove it all over and had a lot of crazy discussions on what it could be. Wound up being a decaying upper shock mount even though we swore it was coming from under the floor boards.
Sway bar bushings got a lot of love that year.

Users who are viewing this thread