5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front bumper alignment

Lilhemi

Reaction score
What is the fix for the front bumper alignment? My dealer says there is no fix. Quoted is there response
“there are three bolts behind the front bumper and there is no adjustment to move it so that is as far as our expertise goes as we are not experts on body work”

Attachments

• 5AAEF219-350D-4A20-A457-471EA86D7822.jpeg
    5AAEF219-350D-4A20-A457-471EA86D7822.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 448

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the fix for the front bumper alignment? My dealer says there is no fix. Quoted is there response
“there are three bolts behind the front bumper and there is no adjustment to move it so that is as far as our expertise goes as we are not experts on body work”

Another member had a body shop widen the holes which provided enough play to level it. That's the only fix I've heard of.

Lilhemi

Reaction score
Edwards, thanks for your response. I was hoping to avoid that because along with the bolts/nuts, both sides are also pinned.

Lilhemi

Reaction score
How many rams on this forum have this issue? Is it isolated to the painted bumper with tow hooks?

GrandeGatito

Reaction score
I have the same issue. One side i can barely fit a finger tip and the other i can almost get majority of my hand in.

Bonafide823

Reaction score
I have this issue as well. I do not have the tow hooks and I have the sport appearance package.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
How many rams on this forum have this issue? Is it isolated to the painted bumper with tow hooks?
I have the painted bumper with tow hooks and I have this issue. I can stick one finger under the headlight fender in the passenger side but I can't get the same finger under the driver side fender. It appears that the passenger side gap is larger than the driver side in most cases.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its not the bumper....its the grill. Look at your hood gap. Another member had his fixed with a grill adjustment; there is another thread about this. Mine has it as well and after taking measurements I have no doubt it is the grill and not the bumper. As soon as I get some time I'm going to take mine apart and adjust it (if the dealer wont do it for me). When I get to doing it; I'll take some pictures and post them.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its not the bumper....its the grill. Look at your hood gap. Another member had his fixed with a grill adjustment; there is another thread about this. Mine has it as well and after taking measurements I have no doubt it is the grill and not the bumper. As soon as I get some time I'm going to take mine apart and adjust it (if the dealer wont do it for me). When I get to doing it; I'll take some pictures and post them.
I just noticed my limited has the exact same issue on the passenger side. Let us know how you make out with the grill adjustment. I certainly don't want to have someone widening the holes for the bumper mount.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue as described. Big gap on the passenger side..tight fit on the drivers. Painted bumpers, no tow hooks. Big Horn Sport..Dealer told me the same thing about the bumper not being adjustable. I will check the grill alignment later.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the grill adjusted tonight; now my hood gap is even. I had a tough time removing the fascia that covers the grill bolts. The grill was definitely out of alignment. Interestingly, I found a 1/8" spacer laying on top of the bumper under the fascia. I'm pretty sure that spacer was supposed to be used to align the grill and/or bumper....I just don't know where it should go. Who knows, maybe it was a headlight spacer. I'm going to finish up tomorrow and put everything back together. My bumper is off a bit as well but I'm not sure I'll be able to adjust it. When it's all done I'll post some pictures.

Reactions: Vic

Vic

Reaction score
I got the grill adjusted tonight; now my hood gap is even. I had a tough time removing the fascia that covers the grill bolts. The grill was definitely out of alignment. Interestingly, I found a 1/8" spacer laying on top of the bumper under the fascia. I'm pretty sure that spacer was supposed to be used to align the grill and/or bumper....I just don't know where it should go. Who knows, maybe it was a headlight spacer. I'm going to finish up tomorrow and put everything back together. My bumper is off a bit as well but I'm not sure I'll be able to adjust it. When it's all done I'll post some pictures.

Did you ever get it put back together to your satisfaction? I spoke to the body man at my dealership and he said he could fix the gaps by pulling the grill out some and adjusting the beaver cheeks too. Supposed to drop it off tomorrow for these tweaks; he acted like it wasn't a big job.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you ever get it put back together to your satisfaction? I spoke to the body man at my dealership and he said he could fix the gaps by pulling the grill out some and adjusting the beaver cheeks too. Supposed to drop it off tomorrow for these tweaks; he acted like it wasn't a big job.
Well, I sort of got it worked out. I adjusted the driver's side of the grill upward; which evened the hood gap and lessened the difference in the fascia panels. You now have to look really close to see the difference. The hood gap is now perfect (like it should have been from the factory); the fascia gaps from left to right are still not perfect. However, I can now look at the front of my truck without having and OCD attack. It actually took a bit of tweaking with the grill bolts and the hood stops to get everything right. The "beaver cheeks" or fascia panels are not adjustable; so I don't know how the body shop is going to do that....they snap into the grill and fender. In addition, I didn't see a way of adjusting the grill out unless you were to shim it. The gaps in my headlight trim are even now as well. I still can't get the fascia panels exact in comparison to each other; but the difference is less than 1/8" inch now where before it was over 1/2" difference. After taking measurements of the panels, I swear that there is a manufacturing error in the fascia panels and they are not the exact same size. Here is a picture of the main grill bolt so you can see how far I actually had to move it up (notice the wear from initial installation):
DSC00718.jpg

Here is the "after" picture. For reference, mine looked very similar to the photo posted at the beginning of this thread. I did adjust the hood stops after this picture was taken to get the corner of the hood and the fender tips to line up perfectly.
DSC00723.jpg

EddieB

Reaction score
All these trucks rolling off the lots with crooked bumpers, grills, doors, and sunroofs. Shame on FCA for build quality. I mean how hard is it to make this right? If you can't get precision from your factory line/equipment than you should close up shop until you figure it out. You are only bombarding your dealerships to work on cosmetic issues. My truck went to the dealer 4 times for adjustments of all of the components listed above.

Todd

Reaction score
Just found this thread.... Man so glad I joined this forum!!
I'm in shock as well, I just found out that mine also has this some....noticeable gap, when looking for "it", and wow what a bummer!
With the price on these trucks, you'd think..... What the heck, Right!! I'll be contacting my dealership today! Man ol Man..... Just disappointed on how such stuff slips through quality control, and this is my first full size truck with a dependable name that I trust way more than the other auto makers!
Sorry for the rant, on my part!

Todd

Reaction score
Update.....

Contacted my dealership this afternoon with this issue. Their willing to do anything that they can to resolve this matter. Even if they need to contact FCA to make them aware of this. So I'm booked for Monday of next week to begin the process of repairs. Their response was they'd heard about this issue but haven't had a chance to actually see one. They also told me if repairs were preformed, it would be considered warranty work!

So if there's other members on here..... Check out your front end bumper headlight area, as the OP noted.

I'll update, once I visit my dealership.
Here's mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 187

Vic

Reaction score
For the record (and having had it fixed under warranty), it's the grille and everything else that needs adjustment, not the bumper. I know it looked that way to me too.

Todd

Reaction score
For the record (and having had it fixed under warranty), it's the grille and everything else that needs adjustment, not the bumper. I know it looked that way to me too.
Thanks Vic, Definitely be able to use this forum thread to help my dealership understand the issue and repairs needed.

Users who are viewing this thread