5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found CarPlay USB Glitch

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am almost positive I have discovered a glitch.

I have a dashcam, specifically a Viofo a119. If I connect that dashcam (for power) to any of the USB ports in the front or the one in the console (haven’t tried the rear ports), it will cause CarPlay to glitch. It happens all the time. I am not sure if the glitch is in the CarPlay software or in the usb hub. I believe the hub or the CarPlay software is trying to view the camera as a storage device and it’s causing the glitch. You should be able to plug a usb device into any USB port and have it recognized as either a media device or simply just for power. Evidently that’s not the case and since the camera is a non media device, it causes this glitch. I am not sure if this happens with every camera, with other “non-media” usb devices, or possibly even older usb media devices. My suggestion would be if you are having CarPlay/usb issues, try unplugging all usb devices other than your phone, then unplug/replug your phone to reset the connection.

I still think there is an issue with bad media hubs but believe this to be a separate glitch.

Dirty Steve_FSU

Reaction score
I have a dash cam and use the right usb to power the camera and the left usb to charge phone or use car play and in the 8 weeks I have owned the truck have not had a single issue or “glitch” when using car play. I have a 2019 with 8.4 with Nav.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a dash cam and use the right usb to power the camera and the left usb to charge phone or use car play and in the 8 weeks I have owned the truck have not had a single issue or “glitch” when using car play. I have a 2019 with 8.4 with Nav.

Interesting. Happens to me every time. Not only with my camera but also an external power pack when I try to recharge it. I’ve even tried using a different usb, the one in the center console and it does the same thing. Gremlins

Users who are viewing this thread