5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ford F-150 Raptor is getting its V8 back, spy video confirms with obvious V8 sound

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Ford F-150 Raptor is getting its V8 back, spy video confirms with obvious V8 sound​

The Shelby GT500's supercharged V8 is likely under hood​

1610689043109.png

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The talk is the TT V6 as the base motor and Shelby GT500 V8 on the top end. I hope RAM offers a lowered powered and lowered price TRX to match it, a SRT 6.4 with around 500 hp would be nice!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes a double whammy would be even better. The 6.4l SRT in 550hp and the REDEYE in all 790hp.

Then next time the shelved 426 Banshee and the Demon with $1 demon crate to dominate the Baja 1000

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today was the day!

At least on this release, No V8.
I think Ram just sold a few TRXs.
Listen to the exhaust note at 1:44

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, but here's my theory.
I think Ford's having a problem with the V8 raptor holding power to the ground.

How in god's name are you supposed to keep 700+ hp on the ground with a pickup truck?
And not a street truck, a lifted truck. On all terrain tires.

Ram's solutions:
- Fulltime 4x4
- Huge tires, absolutely huge and wide, on all 4 corners. That heavy tire is "harder" to for the engine to turn, and likely helping to keep the tires from spinning past their traction. (If you were to replace them with thinner, less wide, lighter tires - I think the lower rotational mass would make tire spin go up dramatically)
- I'm assuming "torque management" (the computer limiting some HP at launch and allowing more to be used as the truck gets rolling) is part of it. It is for Ford's powerstroke diesel, I believe most of the makers are using it once wheelspin becomes a concern.
- And lastly, I think the TRX's heavy weight plays a role. I believe it does.
There's more weight keeping the truck to the ground, it's 6500lbs right?

So I think the Raptor's got a neat advantage. Being lighter, it would not need to have the same horsepower to be faster to 60.
Having the same horsepower with a ton less weight, should make it FASTER to 60 right?
Sure should. If the factory tires can hold it to the ground.

What's the hangup? The tires spinning. It weighs like 1000lbs less right? Something like that?
Now add more horsepower.
So I think they're trying to tune the V8's torque management software to avoid putting down too much at launch, with more phasing in as the truck gets moving. Which, despite the advantage on horsepower AND weight, all said and done I think they're going to be closer to 60mph than they should be on paper. They've got to try to beat that number.

This will work until Ram offers the TRX's higher horsepower edition, I think we'll get one - apparently a few tweeks will get more power out of the TRX.
And despite the weight, I'll probably put more of the power to the ground because of it.

...........but I agree, the big sleeper for ram would be a TRX with a NA 6.4L V8 and a good exhaust system on it. :cool:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Today was the day!

At least on this release, No V8.
I think Ram just sold a few TRXs.
Listen to the exhaust note at 1:44

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, but here's my theory.
I think Ford's having a problem with the V8 raptor holding power to the ground.

How in god's name are you supposed to keep 700+ hp on the ground with a pickup truck?
And not a street truck, a lifted truck. On all terrain tires.

Ram's solutions:
- Fulltime 4x4
- Huge tires, absolutely huge and wide, on all 4 corners. That heavy tire is "harder" to for the engine to turn, and likely helping to keep the tires from spinning past their traction. (If you were to replace them with thinner, less wide, lighter tires - I think the lower rotational mass would make tire spin go up dramatically)
- I'm assuming "torque management" (the computer limiting some HP at launch and allowing more to be used as the truck gets rolling) is part of it. It is for Ford's powerstroke diesel, I believe most of the makers are using it once wheelspin becomes a concern.
- And lastly, I think the TRX's heavy weight plays a role. I believe it does.
There's more weight keeping the truck to the ground, it's 6500lbs right?

So I think the Raptor's got a neat advantage. Being lighter, it would not need to have the same horsepower to be faster to 60.
Having the same horsepower with a ton less weight, should make it FASTER to 60 right?
Sure should. If the factory tires can hold it to the ground.

What's the hangup? The tires spinning. It weighs like 1000lbs less right? Something like that?
Now add more horsepower.
So I think they're trying to tune the V8's torque management software to avoid putting down too much at launch, with more phasing in as the truck gets moving. Which, despite the advantage on horsepower AND weight, all said and done I think they're going to be closer to 60mph than they should be on paper. They've got to try to beat that number.

This will work until Ram offers the TRX's higher horsepower edition, I think we'll get one - apparently a few tweeks will get more power out of the TRX.
And despite the weight, I'll probably put more of the power to the ground because of it.

...........but I agree, the big sleeper for ram would be a TRX with a NA 6.4L V8 and a good exhaust system on it. :cool:

The Raptor R is expected a year later with a V8. But the price points are rather large, expect $55-75K on the Raptor and $75-100K on the TRX. That's honestly a big price leap with plenty of buyers to go around for the both of them. I honestly would be surprised for the TRX to actually outsell the Raptor due just to the price point.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pop the hood

Says RAM to the RAPTOR.

TRX still has 2 variants and the "demon crate" off road tune.

TRX is just waiting...meanwhile What we gonna do with the Powerwagon...tremor didn't impress us either. And that street slayer...lets bring it out for a show.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I think they made some nice enhancements. BUT... no V8 until 2022 when the Raptor R is supposed to be introduced. Overall, this unveil is a pretty weak and anticlimactic response to RAM's TRX.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, the v8 sound comes from a trombone in the exhaust.

So many disappointed engineers who wanted to take the wind out of Ford's sail...ford never even sent it up the mast.

And to say the RAPTOR R may not be street legal. Damn...RAM may slip the V10 in there from their Baja teams just for fun lol.

RAM wants to drive competition...and I thought for sure Ford would defend its raptor ferociously.
Disappointed

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You know, this may be a good business decision for Ford. So many forum members here expressed interest in a Ram "TR"—a cheaper, less extreme version of the TRX. You could make the case that Ford is offering this type of buyer what they want with the Raptor (both current and next-gen). Ford can sit back and see how those sell before offering the halo Raptor R.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
....RAM wants to drive competition...and I thought for sure Ford would defend its raptor ferociously.
Disappointed

I don't think they really need to. The Raptor will be close to most performance metrics to the TRX but substantially cheaper. It will likely continue to be the best seller in class due to price alone.

I mean personally, I love the specs of the TRX, but it's way more truck than I want even in a Baja setting. I rather it be cheaper with a less powerful V8, so would a lot of us it seems. A 6.4L SRT with 500 hp would fit the bill perfectly.

RiverRocket

Reaction score
You know, this may be a good business decision for Ford. So many forum members here expressed interest in a Ram "TR"—a cheaper, less extreme version of the TRX. You could make the case that Ford is offering this type of buyer what they want with the Raptor (both current and next-gen). Ford can sit back and see how those sell before offering the halo Raptor R.
I was in that exact situation on wanting TR and I agree Ford is making a good decision to put the truck in a market range more consumers can buy at. I just bought a new 2021 limited two weeks ago. I strongly considered buying a TRX, but honestly, it has way too much stuff that I don't need and by the time you option it out with some of the stuff my limited has it is into the 90's. That is way too expensive to beat on and trail ride with...for me anyway. I just want street fast so a 392 in my limited (or a sport or rebel) would be awesome and potentially more economical. More of a street truck if you will.

silver billet

Reaction score
Ram absolutely needs the TRX as a halo truck. It may not be practical or financially smart to purchase, but it gives everyone buying an "ordinary" Ram 1500 that link to the beast. Keeps Ford fans in their place (they are way too smug for my liking) knowing that if money is no option, Ram is still the best you can buy. Actual number of sales is less important, than actually "having the best".

That halo effect is way to undervalued especially in trucks where brand loyalty is very strong.

So yes, expect Ford to answer with even more of an impractical truck. It will take a bit yet, which is fine, gives time for Ram to plan their next release too.

But for now, the TRX is on top.

Users who are viewing this thread