5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fold down rear seat mod tutorial

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Since I couldn’t find any good Information on modding the rear seat to fold down, I decided to tackle the mod and share. Ive done this on a dakota and a 4th gen ram and the 5th gen is very similar.

Why do this? The basic trim levels of this truck have seats that fold up, but the backs do not fold down. On bighorn trim there is actually a bit of room back there for storage. It looks small but the liner can be pushed in and/or removed and its a good amount of hidden storage space back there. Perfect for a bug out bag, first aid kit, long gun in a case, you get the idea.

Tools required: 18mm socket, E12 star socket, measuring tape, cutoff wheel or hacksaw, ear and eye protection.

Time required: ~1 hour.

The pics will explain most but basically you remove the rear seat by removing the bolts. You measure out the hooks on the rear 1.5” from the end and cut them off on a slight angle. You reinstall the seat then enjoy being able to fold down the back to access the “hidden” storage area. The bottom must be raised to about a 45* angle to unlock or relock the rear. I only did the drivers side but the passenger side is the same method.

Happy RAM modding!

Attachments

• 69D8C11D-1D7C-4894-904C-98ECE820CBDD.jpeg
    69D8C11D-1D7C-4894-904C-98ECE820CBDD.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,273
  • 16FFB0FF-9C68-4E1C-8106-4358EE58DF4B.jpeg
    16FFB0FF-9C68-4E1C-8106-4358EE58DF4B.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 1,224
  • 1E4335E8-8877-430F-BF4E-6AD75F96E8E0.jpeg
    1E4335E8-8877-430F-BF4E-6AD75F96E8E0.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 1,227
  • 20BA74EF-043C-4BF7-9170-FC6AC9F75A9B.jpeg
    20BA74EF-043C-4BF7-9170-FC6AC9F75A9B.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 1,232
  • 0C8E9BA5-AB28-4EBE-958A-CAA3FAECE7CA.jpeg
    0C8E9BA5-AB28-4EBE-958A-CAA3FAECE7CA.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 1,255
  • 5F967F9E-4934-44F4-B16F-EBB4D2D741C1.jpeg
    5F967F9E-4934-44F4-B16F-EBB4D2D741C1.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,274
  • 5808928C-9596-4EC9-81FF-277337E8BB25.jpeg
    5808928C-9596-4EC9-81FF-277337E8BB25.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,279

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos, I haven't seen that part of mine (yet). Wow, those hooks look way over-engineered for what they do. Makes me wonder if the extra shapes have any function. Does the seat back rattle or anything after the modification?

Have you had the cab liner out? Wondering how much additional room is available. I'm thinking about air assist bags on the rear axle, and looking for somewhere to mount a compressor, does that sound like a possibility?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos, I haven't seen that part of mine (yet). Wow, those hooks look way over-engineered for what they do. Makes me wonder if the extra shapes have any function. Does the seat back rattle or anything after the modification?

Have you had the cab liner out? Wondering how much additional room is available. I'm thinking about air assist bags on the rear axle, and looking for somewhere to mount a compressor, does that sound like a possibility?
That would be obnoxiously loud in the cab and there’s a threat of overheating. Under the driver’s front cab area would work if you don’t have an ecodiesel.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Nothing rattles at all, locks in the same way as the Uncut hooks. This is my 3rd truck dodge/ram truck doing this to and I’ve never had any long term issues. My other ram I had both sides done to fit a sub, but this 5th gen has a factory alpine sub in the corner of the pass side.

Also, Looks like you could fit a small compressor in there easily.

20 Ram North

Reaction score
I'm going to do this, just for making it easier to run the strap for a car seat easier! No more forcing the buckle between the head rest and glass.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
When you do this mod, can you still put the seat bottoms in the upright position and drive, or do the seats fall back down since the backs are no longer connected?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is this a crew cab? I was going to do this mod but the quad cab seatbacks are locked in place and do not move when folding the seat bottom.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome! Did this to my 3rd Gen, but that mod involved just flipping the hook.
Need to do this…thanks for the write up. 👊🏽
Mods, thanks for sticking this thread. 👍

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This all makes me wonder what Ram had in mind with this setup. Why make hooks that slide if they don't slide far enough to do anything? :unsure: Is this a leftover from some more elaborate design where they actually did something? Just curious, sometimes things make me say "hmmm..."

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This all makes me wonder what Ram had in mind with this setup. Why make hooks that slide if they don't slide far enough to do anything? :unsure: Is this a leftover from some more elaborate design where they actually did something? Just curious, sometimes things make me say "hmmm..."
Maybe it’s something to do with the rear reclining seat option? That’s my bust guess, and they just use the same hooks for all setbacks regardless of if the truck has that option.

Or its just to make factory install of the rear seats quicker, I have no idea 🤷‍♂️

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it’s something to do with the rear reclining seat option? That’s my bust guess, and they just use the same hooks for all setbacks regardless of if the truck has that option.

Or its just to make factory install of the rear seats quicker, I have no idea 🤷‍♂️
That’s what I assumed also.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
When you do this mod, can you still put the seat bottoms in the upright position and drive, or do the seats fall back down since the backs are no longer connected?
They still stay upright, there seems to be a detent built into the raised position. Its not quite as tight but it still stays up. If you really want to make it tighter you could probably cut slightly less, like 1.25” off the hooks and then its really tight to get it to fold down or reattach. Thats how my 4th gen was but it just makes it harder to fold down and binds up a bit, which is why I think the 1.5” is the sweet spot.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Supposedly the reclining seats have a built in release you can access through the arm rest hole.

GP-TEK

Reaction score
Since I couldn’t find any good Information on modding the rear seat to fold down, I decided to tackle the mod and share. Ive done this on a dakota and a 4th gen ram and the 5th gen is very similar.

Why do this? The basic trim levels of this truck have seats that fold up, but the backs do not fold down. On bighorn trim there is actually a bit of room back there for storage. It looks small but the liner can be pushed in and/or removed and its a good amount of hidden storage space back there. Perfect for a bug out bag, first aid kit, long gun in a case, you get the idea.

Tools required: 18mm socket, E12 star socket, measuring tape, cutoff wheel or hacksaw, ear and eye protection.

Time required: ~1 hour.

The pics will explain most but basically you remove the rear seat by removing the bolts. You measure out the hooks on the rear 1.5” from the end and cut them off on a slight angle. You reinstall the seat then enjoy being able to fold down the back to access the “hidden” storage area. The bottom must be raised to about a 45* angle to unlock or relock the rear. I only did the drivers side but the passenger side is the same method.

Happy RAM modding!
Is there a finished product photo? Thanks for all the info!

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I'm going to do this, just for making it easier to run the strap for a car seat easier! No more forcing the buckle between the head rest and glass.
I run car seats too… 😀 I actually removed the headrests on the first day of ownership despite being told they “couldn’t be removed” If I remember correctly I used a paperclip to unlock them.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
If I end up cutting out the liner ill post up the pics!

Users who are viewing this thread