5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fob Mod

Quigs

Reaction score
So I was surprised how big the fobs are for these 5th gens. I hated how the key ring flopped around in that giant slot at the top. I keep my fob in the watch pocket of my jeans and the rest of my keys in a Swiss army style key holder.

I like to mess around with paracord so this is what I came up with. I gutted all the paracord to cut down on the bulk. Then I wrapped the slot at the top of the fob. Then I basically made a small bracelet with mini carabiners on each end that I can snap to the ring.

Here's how it came out. Not much of a mod but it solved a problem for me.

IMG_20191220_044332390.jpg

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Working out of the back seat with my tools (locking / unlocking the truck) proved annoying reaching into and out of my pocket. This was the best I could come to "passive entry". Clips to my belt loop and I "fish" it out. Picked the clip up at an Ace hardware store for I believe $5.00. There are other clips available but I find this particular one has a pronounced latch button and crosses over.
When I'm in "dress mode" aka "cleaned up/going out" (vs work mode) I just unscrew the the attachment. Most of the time it is work mode.
Ram key ring.JPG

Last edited:

Dark Matter

Reaction score
I had a different solution... I use a separate Keysmart also, but I NEVER have to take the FOB out of my pocket. All I use is a 3/4" x 2.5" scrap of kydex that snaps into the wide mouth to clip it inside my pocket. Using tactile feedback I can feel the buttons thru my pocket. I lose the option to easily access the "I forgot where I parked" button, but other than that, for me, it's perfect, and on the off chance that it breaks, the FOB is still in my pocket..
IF I need a splitring, it wouldn't take much modification. My first design was cut giving access to the wide mouth, but ended up scrapping it.
The last image is my second design, that I used for almost 2 years until i somehow snagged it on belt and broke it.
20200315_144447E.jpg 20200315_144534E.jpg 20200315_144733E.jpg

Metallic Blue wrap
20200315_144800E.jpg

I know that at the bottom edge of the clip is the start button. I can slide my finger down and feel the lock/unlock buttons.
Works well for 'dress mode' too
20200315_144916E.jpg

Second design. The FOB snapped into the shell and still clipped to pocket like above.
20200118_124326E.jpg

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a different solution... I use a separate Keysmart also, but I NEVER have to take the FOB out of my pocket. All I use is a 3/4" x 2.5" scrap of kydex that snaps into the wide mouth to clip it inside my pocket. Using tactile feedback I can feel the buttons thru my pocket. I lose the option to easily access the "I forgot where I parked" button, but other than that, for me, it's perfect, and on the off chance that it breaks, the FOB is still in my pocket..
IF I need a splitring, it wouldn't take much modification. My first design was cut giving access to the wide mouth, but ended up scrapping it.
The last image is my second design, that I used for almost 2 years until i somehow snagged it on belt and broke it.
View attachment 49638 View attachment 49639 View attachment 49640

Metallic Blue wrap
View attachment 49641

I know that at the bottom edge of the clip is the start button. I can slide my finger down and feel the lock/unlock buttons.
Works well for 'dress mode' too
View attachment 49642

Second design. The FOB snapped into the shell and still clipped to pocket like above.
View attachment 49643
Nice job Shark Tank, you need a patent.

antwon412

Reaction score
Would you sell these? I don’t even have my ram rebel yet, but I would buy one of these in advance of getting it. Seems perfect

derp

Reaction score
Nice job Shark Tank, you need a patent.
the problem here is that even if he did, the solution is so simple that the cutthroat market would race to the bottom and it wouldn't be profitable to pursue a patent.

Thermoforming plastics are CHEAP and super easy to shape to tasks like this with a heat gun and a little bit of patience. once you have the first one done, you lay it back out and use that to make a stamping template. This makes it as easy to copy as a pissing calvin window sticker.

Dark Matter

Reaction score
What he said. . . its not that it's difficult to make, it's literally a 2.5" x 3/4" rectangle, molded. The shell is a little more obviously, but how much would someone actually spend on a imperfect, homemade
Keyfob-clip©

I might make a few more, with slightly modified patterns, maybe they'll sell, till I'm out of kydex

antwon412

Reaction score
Out a down payment on my Rebel yesterday. Still interested in one of these if you’re willing to make and ship!

i don’t have access to a heat gun so cannot make one myself at the moment.
thanks!

Dark Matter

Reaction score
I am currently working on making a jig to have some kind of conformity when molding . I have enough scrap kydex to make 3 or 4. I tell you, making something that just works is a lot harder than making something that works AND looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread