5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowmaster Outlaw Direct-fit Muffler

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
It's happened a direct fit muffler for 2019 RAM part# 817846 ....anyone have experience with the outlaw. I want it but not at the cost of drone.

Excerpt:
Flowmaster Outlaw Direct-fit Muffler for 2019 RAM 1500 with 5.7L Engine
Available August 1, 2018
Part# 817846
Application:
2019 RAM 1500 with 5.7L Engine.

Features: Designed as a direct-fit replacement muffler for the 2019 Ram 1500 Trucks with 5.7L Engine and Factory Dual Tailpipe Option. This easy to install direct-fit muffler delivers an aggressive interior and exterior sound level that will appeal to anyone looking for a deep powerful exhaust note. 3.00-inch include 3.00-inch mandrel-bent bright stainless steel tubing mated to a specially designed dual 3.00 inch inlet Outlaw muffler for great sound and maximum performance. Utilizes the factory hangers and connections and installs in about 20-30 minutes. Includes all necessary parts and hardware. Proud to Say Made in the USA.
409S Stainless Steel Construction • Moderate to Aggressive Exhaust Tone • Quick and Easy Installation • Direct-fit System

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For that price, I'd be tempted to pick up the exact muffler I wanted and have it welded in. My Magnaflow was $100 and cost $90 to have it installed. Just something to think about. With MDS turned off (gear selection set to "-8") there's no drone in the cab.

As far as the Outlaw goes, when I was reading around trying to decide which muffler to get, most of the complaints I saw for drone were with Flowmaster - but not necessarily the Outlaw series. Magnaflow seemed to be the most liked/least complained about.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an Outlaw installed on my 2019. Had it welded in. Drone isn't too bad to me, but I need to have some resonators taken out. It's not loud enough for me. I'll probably just wait and do a full catback system. Or get the Craven when it comes out.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
I'm up in the air still. Maybe you could upload a clip of yours :sneaky: @I Love Grits

@ksn240 I don't recall if you had a clip in any of the threads...I'd be interested if you had the time. I feel like you might like more rumble than I. Out of curiosity would MDS on on a long trip be a non issue for you?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm up in the air still. Maybe you could upload a clip of yours :sneaky: @I Love Grits

@ksn240 I don't recall if you had a clip in any of the threads...I'd be interested if you had the time. I feel like you might like more rumble than I. Out of curiosity would MDS on on a long trip be a non issue for you?
I do think I have a small clip I took on my phone after it was installed. I'll see if i can find it. I'm looking to go pretty loud this time around so wanting a little more. As far as MDS, it's not bad with the Outlaw. I can tell when it kicks in but there are so many resonators in this truck it keeps the drone down pretty good. If it gets where it bothers me I'll just turn the MDS off.

Last edited:

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
I do think I have a small clip I took on my phone after it was installed. I'll see if i can find it. I'm looking to go pretty loud this time around so wanting a little more. As far as MDS, it's not bad with the Outlaw. I can tell when it kicks in but there are so many resonators in this truck it keeps the drone down pretty good. If it gets where it bothers me I'll just turn the MDS off.

Now that's a clean sound...and with the resonators still on. That might just be just right for me. I'm gonna have to look through some of the other exhaust threads about that disabling MDS trick @I Love Grits mentioned

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that's a clean sound...and with the resonators still on. That might just be just right for me. I'm gonna have to look through some of the other exhaust threads about that disabling MDS trick @I Love Grits mentioned
Not a whole lot to it. You just use the gear limit selector and set it to -8. It will still shift through all gears like normal, just won't go into 4 cylinder mode. Might make a small hit on fuel economy but it would be pretty minor. The times I have done it and kept on eye on my mpg, it tends to stay pretty close to where it would be if I hadn't turned it off.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Not a whole lot to it. You just use the gear limit selector and set it to -8. It will still shift through all gears like normal, just won't go into 4 cylinder mode. Might make a small hit on fuel economy but it would be pretty minor. The times I have done it and kept on eye on my mpg, it tends to stay pretty close to where it would be if I hadn't turned it off.
Oh... thats too simple, in my ignorance i thought it was the most awkwardly placed "shifter". In my defense this is my first Mopar out of 4 without paddle shifters

NeedMo$

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the direct fit the 2019 comes with both sides for 299 or is it 299 per muffler?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the direct fit the 2019 comes with both sides for 299 or is it 299 per muffler?
This is just a muffler swap only. There is only one muffler and then a Y pipe that splits it to the exits on each side of the bumper.

NeedMo$

Reaction score
This is just a muffler swap only. There is only one muffler and then a Y pipe that splits it to the exits on each side of the bumper.

Thank you for the answer. So are you saying that what I am seeing closest to the exhaust tips on both sides are resonators and not mufflers? I have never seen resonators that far back on any vehicle nor have I ever seen resonators placed after a muffler.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the answer. So are you saying that what I am seeing closest to the exhaust tips on both sides are resonators and not mufflers? I have never seen resonators that far back on any vehicle nor have I ever seen resonators placed after a muffler.
That would be correct. They packed more resonators in these trucks than ever before to help reduce cabin noise and drone. I left mine on when I did my muffler swap but wish I took them out. I was going to go back to get them removed but think I am going to go with a full catback system shortly so it doesn't matter.

NeedMo$

Reaction score
Thank you. I think I will go for the Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back. It makes the Ram or actually the Hemi sound the way it should from factory without overkill and should provide significant weight reduction.

Agitated

Reaction score
Is this replacement muffler a chambered traditional flowmaster? Or some kind of typical turbo/glasspack that sound like a 80s pos chevy? I want the chambered Flowmaster.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this replacement muffler a chambered traditional flowmaster? Or some kind of typical turbo/glasspack that sound like a 80s pos chevy? I want the chambered Flowmaster.
This is a traditional single chamber flowmaster super 10 (outlaw.) The extra resonators make it not sound as good

Users who are viewing this thread