5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flame red Bighorn Built to serve tow hooks and calipers

Patamaran

Reaction score
Looking for some advice, I just got my 2021 Flame red built to serve, and I'm thinking about having my tow hooks painted red, along with my calipers. I'm scared it might be too much red. anyone have anything similar? opinions?

91234960.jpeg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I painted mine with plasti-dip first so I could see what it looks like, before using actual paint. I like how it looks with Patriot Blue Pearl, so I peeled off the plasti-dip and used a darker red paint for the hooks. Not sure how it would look on a red truck, but you could always go with the plasti-dip to see if you like it or not.

Patamaran

Reaction score
I painted mine with plasti-dip first so I could see what it looks like, before using actual paint. I like how it looks with Patriot Blue Pearl, so I peeled off the plasti-dip and used a darker red paint for the hooks. Not sure how it would look on a red truck, but you could always go with the plasti-dip to see if you like it or not.
yeah that's a good idea, if only the stores were actually open for non essential business here at the moment. going to have to amazon some Plasti-dip.
I've never used it though, is it hard to get off after?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
yeah that's a good idea, if only the stores were actually open for non essential business here at the moment. going to have to amazon some Plasti-dip.
I've never used it though, is it hard to get off after?
My advice is to watch a few youtube videos on using it. You need a nice thick coat of it if you want it to peel off easily. The thicker the better. This requires many light coats. It will run if you spray it too heavily. Just keep layering it on. If you apply it correctly it's not difficult to peel off.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My advice is to watch a few youtube videos on using it. You need a nice thick coat of it if you want it to peel off easily. The thicker the better. This requires many light coats. It will run if you spray it too heavily. Just keep layering it on. If you apply it correctly it's not difficult to peel off.
Great advice. Thicker is def better with PD for peal away later.

Patamaran

Reaction score
I actually came up with an easier way. I'm an electrician, and we use colored vinyl tape for phasing conductors. I have an almost color matched roll of red vinyl tape I'm going to wrap the hooks with temporarily. I figure, from 25ft away, ill be able to gauge the look of it pretty well.

plus, I'm cheap. lol

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I actually came up with an easier way. I'm an electrician, and we use colored vinyl tape for phasing conductors. I have an almost color matched roll of red vinyl tape I'm going to wrap the hooks with temporarily. I figure, from 25ft away, ill be able to gauge the look of it pretty well.

plus, I'm cheap. lol
LOL.
Here's my take before you even put tape on them. It will be too much red (in my opinion).

Cheers,

Wsmith

Reaction score
Plasti dip is an awesome way to test. It peels off so easy. Order it on amazon if your stores are still closed.

Patamaran

Reaction score
I threw on the Vinyl tape just to see what it would look like. I think it's a go. I like it, and it just got ceramicoated, so it's looking particularly sharp right now.

Attachments

• 20210420_185128.jpg
    20210420_185128.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210420_185122.jpg
    20210420_185122.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210420_185141.jpg
    20210420_185141.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 54

Patamaran

Reaction score
Painted them with VHT caliper paint and cured them in the oven. I'm very happy with the results.

I'm thinking dark grey, black, or red for the calipers. I just don't want them rusted up by next year.
20210421_144810.jpg

Attachments

• 20210421_144824.jpg
    20210421_144824.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 12

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks great... (y) ♨️

I wanted to see how your grill looked with RED RAM letters.

What do you think?

Red_Ram_Grill_Letter.png

Users who are viewing this thread