5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First "Mild Hybrid" issue

chad202

Reaction score
Hopefully it's a fluke but had to get roadside assistance to get my truck last night from my house and bring it to dealership. Engine light came on Wednesday evening. Called and made appt for today. Yesterday on my way home from work I got a message saying the battery management system would start shutting off power to certain components. Checked voltage and it was down to 11.7 with vehicle running. Called dealership and they advised to not drive it so called roadside assistance. Talked to service this morning and they said the electrical generator went out. It's part of the mild hybrid system. They getting me a rental cause a new generator wont be in till sometime middle to end of next week. I'm leasing this truck so if I keep after 3yrs will definitely look into extended warranty. With all the electronic crap these new vehicles have it's almost a must to have coverage.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully it's a fluke but had to get roadside assistance to get my truck last night from my house and bring it to dealership. Engine light came on Wednesday evening. Called and made appt for today. Yesterday on my way home from work I got a message saying the battery management system would start shutting off power to certain components. Checked voltage and it was down to 11.7 with vehicle running. Called dealership and they advised to not drive it so called roadside assistance. Talked to service this morning and they said the electrical generator went out. It's part of the mild hybrid system. They getting me a rental cause a new generator wont be in till sometime middle to end of next week. I'm leasing this truck so if I keep after 3yrs will definitely look into extended warranty. With all the electronic crap these new vehicles have it's almost a must to have coverage.

You basically had the equivalent of an alternator go bad. Now I do have a lifetime warranty on my truck with eTorque but when I bought it I mentally made this note that the motor generator was essentially the alternator with no more or less moving parts. They do go out and I wasn't buying a unicorn technology that would break the bank to fix down the road.

dandar

Reaction score
I'm leasing this truck so if I keep after 3yrs will definitely look into extended warranty.

While extended warranty is probably a must if you're going to hold on to it, keep in mind that the etorque components are covered by manufacturer's 8 year / 80,000 mile warranty. It covers: Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly, Catalytic Converter, Powertrain Control Module, Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts.

chad202

Reaction score
While extended warranty is probably a must if you're going to hold on to it, keep in mind that the etorque components are covered by manufacturer's 8 year / 80,000 mile warranty. It covers: Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly, Catalytic Converter, Powertrain Control Module, Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts.
Didn't know that, thanks.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You basically had the equivalent of an alternator go bad. Now I do have a lifetime warranty on my truck with eTorque but when I bought it I mentally made this note that the motor generator was essentially the alternator with no more or less moving parts. They do go out and I wasn't buying a unicorn technology that would break the bank to fix down the road.

How did you get a lifetime warranty?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you get a lifetime warranty?

What @SpeedyV said. It was already rumored they were going to drop it so I snatched it up planning on keeping the truck a long time. In the Mopar account you can look up your coverage and it says my warranty is good through the year 2101.
You can still get the long term warranties (8 years I think?) and they cost less so you're not missing that much. And it remains to be seen if I do keep this as long as I told my wife...

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was offered until late 2018. A number of us early buyers purchased it.

Ah. Right. I forgot that they did not discontinue that until after the DT was already on the market.

I had the Lifetime MaxCare on my '09. It was awesome. I got WAY more than my money's worth out of that.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can still get the long term warranties (8 years I think?) and they cost less so you're not missing that much. And it remains to be seen if I do keep this as long as I told my wife...

I got the 5yr/100K MaxCare. I don't expect to keep this truck any longer than that anyway. I really wanted a diesel. But, I didn't want to wait until the new EcoDiesel has had time to shake its initial bugs - i.e. I didn't want to wait another 2 years for a new truck. And I couldn't pass up the June rebates.

Users who are viewing this thread