5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First long tow of 1150 miles

DDoug

Reaction score
I tow a Prowler double axle 22' travel trailer. Loaded weight is around 5300 lbs.
Our trip to the Guadalupe National Park was 1150 miles round trip. If I remember ; this park is at 6800' ,with the peak mountain at 8200' .
I have to say I was a little disappointed with the gear selection on the flat ground and mountain climbs. Flat ground at 65 mph was 70% 6th gear with 7th with the wind. Mountain climbing was 4th & 5th gear @ 55 mph. Engine oil temp would go 242 degrees and the mechanical fan would kick in with a roar. The fan did its job to lower temps. Water and trans temps never got over 220. Outside air temp was 75.
I felt the downshift points were too sensitive. Making RPM higher than required. I tried normal trans mode and tow haul. Tow haul seemed to help braking downhill, other than that, I saw no difference.
The big plus with this truck is acceleration loaded. No complaints.
Average gas mileage was 8.5 , not too bad for 50% mountain roads.
Now the question I have, is there an aux. oil cooler kit available ? I don't want to listen to the roaring fan all day when outside air is 100 degrees.
000_0876.JPG

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeh, the Guadalupe pass is the steepest section of interstate I have have yet travelled. We towed our travel trailer through there in early March. I got a little concerned as we were climbing, I looked up and saw the switchbacks above us. We just slowed down, took our time and we were fine. I have a completely different rig than you (see my signature) but had the same experience with oil temperatures rising. Transmission and coolant temps are always fine.

I also had the same experience that using tow haul on the interstate had no effect except helping on the downhill.

Johnvan

Reaction score
We just finished a 1500 mile trip with this setup. Traveled to the Smokey Mountains through some hilly terrain. No complaints. It towed well.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I’m glad you all are having good experiences towing. I’m jaded with my truck. I had a 3500 Cummins so everything now feels like I’m in a dance with death which is unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m glad you all are having good experiences towing. I’m jaded with my truck. I had a 3500 Cummins so everything now feels like I’m in a dance with death which is unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha thats a great line... at least you are aware that it’s “unrealistic” or “a whole nother’ world” when you step down from a 1 ton diesel to a 1500 gasser. 2 entirely different platforms yet the cost of a new 3500 diesel vs a 1500 gasser, plus the ride comfort, causes many to downsize. That Cummings has been and still is a great tow beast, however not everybody wants to drive such a rig daily.

A neighbor just got an F450 4x4 CC 6.7 dually, and he tows a mid 30’s 5th wheel. It’s a bit overkill honestly but he had $80K to spend I guess... whatever floats your boat. At least theres some assembly line workers still getting a paycheck. I contributed to a few myself with a $58K Ltd... :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/