5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Ecodiesel trip

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I got my truck last Thursday. I put approx 200 miles around town in 4 days and averaged 19.4 MPG. I was really happy with that.
Today I drove from Minneapolis to Omaha for a job and got 25 MPG on the head. I was hoping a little better but im sure we are still on winter blend diesel. About half way thru the trip I found out I get better mileage at 73 MPH than 70.
That surprised me.
Tom

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After break in it will increase quite a bit. Give it a few thousand miles.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

EpicMando27

Reaction score
I got my truck last Thursday. I put approx 200 miles around town in 4 days and averaged 19.4 MPG. I was really happy with that.
Today I drove from Minneapolis to Omaha for a job and got 25 MPG on the head. I was hoping a little better but im sure we are still on winter blend diesel. About half way thru the trip I found out I get better mileage at 73 MPH than 70.
That surprised me.
Tom
I think thats common. I also find that increasing or decreasing my cruise speed by just an MPH or two can have a big change in my current MPG. I also assume that if your truck happens to be going through a regen cycle that can also reduce MPG.

With that said, I couldn't be happier with the diesel.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Best I have seen is 28.5mpg with my 2021 Laramie last September on the Summer Blend.
I am averaging 25mpg using the winter blend on my 30 mile Commutes. 47K Miles on the Truck.

Malodave

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think I put about 15,000 miles on my EcoD Ram and there was no "break in". Mileage stayed identical from day 1. I do mostly a 50/50 split of city and highway and I saw 20-21 MPG consistently. Mine had the 3.92 axle. For the Hemi I prefer 3.92, but for the EcoD the 3.21 is best because it will take advantage of the diesel's narrow powerband better.

At the end of the day the diesel wasn't saving me any money at all when I factored in fuel pricing, filter pricing, oil pricing, DEF pricing, etc. so it went on to greener pastures and I LOVE love love my Hemi. Having said that choice is always good and I hate to see the non-hybrid Hemi and EcoDiesel engines going away.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WX was once a huge EcoD fan. Not so much now. Anyway. I love mine. I average about 24 in the winter in my Reb. Better in the summer. Now that diesel is back to close to gas it’s even better. When it drops to below gas like in 2020/2021 - hell yeah.

Reaction score
Got my truck on a Monday and took our vacation trip on saturday. FYI i work in Houston but live 67 miles way so i put close to 500 miles on the truck before the trip to FL.
got about 29 MPG on the trip over all but did hit 30 MPG close to home. Mixed driving avg. speed 70 did go up and down but mostly suck to at or a little above speed limit.
30 MPG.jpg

66Fuelie

Reaction score
^^^^
What is the difference between the above calculation and the trip calculation?
On my truck the trip is always a lower mpg than the one above.
Tom

drydocked

Reaction score
I'm in NW Wisconsin and usually average 23-24 if I'm driving highway at 70-75 and not on winter fuel. I have the 3.92 gears so I'd expect it to be worse than the 3.21's. When I'm making trips to the lake on the back roads with a 55mph speed limit I'll get a couple mpg better on that tank. Towing the camper I probably average around 12 but that depends on speed and headwind.
I'm currently on an extended trip south and yesterday after filling up we drove 204 mile round trip from Key Largo to Key West and back (without the camper), and the truck was reporting 35.3 mpg so far on that tank! That drive was mostly 45 to 50 speed limit with some stop and go traffic. Today we made another excursion in the same direction but only 138 miles round trip, with more short trips and a lot of stop and go traffic, and a headwind on the way back. I filled up this evening and hand calculated 32.5 mpg for the two days combined. The dash readout was reporting 33.3.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WX was once a huge EcoD fan. Not so much now. Anyway. I love mine. I average about 24 in the winter in my Reb. Better in the summer. Now that diesel is back to close to gas it’s even better. When it drops to below gas like in 2020/2021 - hell yeah.
Yep now he loves to shoot it down whenever he can.

Gets old listening to guys talk about how expensive diesels are.
DEF is almost a cost I don't even consider. I'm in Canada and to fill my DEF tank at a truck stop is $15 or so ever 7-8k kms.
Oil pricing? Wx has made videos saying he paid $17 for 5 quarts of Quaker state 5w40 from Walmart.
Yes the filters are more expensive than a regular gas engine.
Fuel prices in Ontario have come within 10-15 cents a litre of regular fuel, and if you put midgrade gas like they recommend for the Hemi diesel is the same price right now.

The 26+mpg average and great towing I'll take all day long.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
comparison - gas vs diesel cost

Users who are viewing this thread