5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First camping trip: Success

bandit

Reaction score
Took delivery of our new 1500 limited a few weeks back and our new Grand Design Imagine 2670MK. We are towing this trailer with an Equalizer WD hitch and took our first trip relatively close to Mohican in central Ohio, about a 90 minute drive for us.

The RAM towed beautifully. The weather was nice, though we did have some wind. There was one spot crossing a bridge when a semi passed us with the wind and we got a bit of sway, but slowing down and using the trailer brake handled it easily. Definitely felt the wind a bit more than our old trailer with our 2500, but it never felt dangerous or worrisome, just saying I noticed the difference. I'm still getting the hang of the air suspension when towing, following the recommended instructions when attaching the hitch etc. It did fine, but when we went to unhook when we got home it raised the back when I was raising the jack to unhook the ball and I had trouble getting it to lower itself and drop off. I probably did something out of sequence or forgot a step. Haven't had time to go back and reflect on that.

On the trailer, since others have expressed interest in Grand Design. This trailer is a huge upgrade from our old Crossroads Zinger bunkhouse as far as build quality and such. Our kids are older now and even though they still live at home they don't go with us as much, so we ditched the bunkhouse for the much nicer living space. It was a solid move. We took two kids with us and simply folded down the dinette bed and used a foldout twin mattress and it worked beautifully, so the wife and I can enjoy a much nicer experience sans kids when we travel that way. I will say that I hate the main door latch though, going to replace that when I get around to it, it just doesn't open/close easy. The bathroom in it is great though, the shower in particular is roomy for a trailer unit and I enjoyed having the island in the kitchen and extra counter space for cooking. It does lack a good "shoe storage" though, going to have to noodle on a mod to address that.

We did a small mod to the power jack on the front of the camper to turn it (pic attached). When it was facing towards the truck, we couldn't open the bed while hitched up, annoying, but it is possible to remove the bolts, turn the head 90 degrees, and drill new holes (being careful not to get debris into the unit). This allowed the bed to open while hitched, which was necessary for us to let the dogs out of the bed (crated in the cap) for potty breaks on long trips without having to unhook. RamImagineCamping.jpeg RamImagineJack.JPG

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Very nice combo you have, colors look good together. Glad the truck towed well. 3.92’s? No E-Torque?
My brother has a 1st year GD, somewhere around 29-30 but he tows it with a 15’ Dmax 2500.
Glad that you felt solid and safe with the Limited. Flatland tows should be fine the way you have it set up.
My bro’ lives in Denver so he needs additional Tq (he says) to pull the passes, as well as the engine braking going down. He too likes the GD trailer.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the update and the experience.

Haven't heard back much about all the camping everyone was going to do.

Looks like you matched your tow rig and your camper well.

Hope you get to enjoy many more trips.

Johnvan

Reaction score
Did you have the truck running when you tried to disconnect? I haven't had that problem but I always shut the truck off.
We have the same problem with shoe storage. Camping World has a good option. It's fabric pockets that attach to the foot of the bed. There's also some nice DIY options that use the back of the seat bench.

2wd

Reaction score
Very nice trailer.

I recently towed a 2019 Alpha Wolf triple bunkhouse floorplan and the hitch weight on that one was almost 1000 lbs despite being slightly lighter overall weight.

This one looks like a really nice setup.

Tim B

Reaction score
I'm curious, what size trunnion bars did you get for your E4 WDH, 1200#?

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
I towed this thing around 600 miles a couple weeks ago, around 6k dry weight, truck did well. Didn't love towing over 65mph because it wanted to stay in 6th gear most of the time, I could've towed at 70, but I didn't want to get the 7mpg the display was claiming. So pulling it around 60 most of the way I averaged 10.2mpg. But didn't struggle up or down hills in Pennsylvania. I don't have the air suspension but I did install helper bags to level it back out a bit.

IMG_4491.jpg

bandit

Reaction score
Did you have the truck running when you tried to disconnect? I haven't had that problem but I always shut the truck off.
We have the same problem with shoe storage. Camping World has a good option. It's fabric pockets that attach to the foot of the bed. There's also some nice DIY options that use the back of the seat bench.

It was actually. I had it off today and it behaved appropriately. I'll float the pockets by the boss (wife). Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online