5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Financing / Purchase terms - Looking for Advice

Ericv1980

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on this deal. I'm in Canada.

- 2021 Ram Sport, financed at 0%
- MSRP $82k after options, etc
- Employee discount, down to $75k
- Freight & HST takes final price to $88k

I'm coming to the deal with $6k in equity so the amount to be financed would be around $82k

I plan to drive it for 3-4yrs and see myself putting 40,000km on it per year (25,000 miles per year) so 120,000-160,000km at the end of 3-4yrs (75,000-100,000miles)

Since I'm financing at 0% and am starting with some equity and discounts ($14,000 between my $6k equity from current deal combined with employee discount) my hope is that by the 3-4 year mark, the truck will be worth more than I owe on it and I'll be able to continue to build equity in the next deal, and the next, etc.

If I finance for 96mos and trade at the 36mos mark (with 120,000km), I would owe $55k. If I trade after 48mos (with 160,000km) I would owe $45k. Basically the 96month term has be paying off roughly $10k/year.

If I finance for 84mos, I'd owe $50k at 36mos with 120,000km on it and $45k at 48mos with 160,000 on it.

So I guess my question(s) are:
(1.) generally, what are opinions on this strategy?
(2.) If I go with the 96mos term and plan to trade after 36mos - owing $55k, what are chances that I will protect and grow the $6k in equity that I have in the deal?
(3.) Is this just a stupid strategy that'll never work with such long finance terms? (84/96mos)

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
These are just my opinions, since you asked. I find it amazing that someone is offering 8yr/0% financing. I have not heard of that. Heck, I am not sure any US lenders offer 8yr financing on a vehicle.

I see 3 concerns with your strategy, however.
1. You are planning to put a lot of miles per year on the truck. The depreciation will be higher than normal, given twice the "normal" amount of miles.
2. With an 8 year loan, you are paying down slower than normal. Couple that with #1 above, I would not expect you to have any equity.
3. It looks like your freight and HST (tax?) costs are $13K on the new truck. That puts you immediately in the hole $7K, after factoring in your existing $6K in equity. You are not likely to make that up, especially with payments spread over 8 years and high miles.

Who knows? Maybe all the new cars/trucks offered up in 4 years will be EV, and our gas guzzling dinosaurs will be collector's pieces. I wouldn't count on it though. Good luck.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
If your looking to maximize equity down the road, pay more than your payment... if your payment is 750, pay 8-850 every month. Either let them take the extra of the following months payment and that will slowly get you a few months ahead on payment or have them put the excess towards the principal. Being a 0% loan technically it’s the same for you but the strategy is a good one for any loan.

Ericv1980

Reaction score
These are just my opinions, since you asked. I find it amazing that someone is offering 8yr/0% financing. I have not heard of that. Heck, I am not sure any US lenders offer 8yr financing on a vehicle.

I see 3 concerns with your strategy, however.
1. You are planning to put a lot of miles per year on the truck. The depreciation will be higher than normal, given twice the "normal" amount of miles.
2. With an 8 year loan, you are paying down slower than normal. Couple that with #1 above, I would not expect you to have any equity.
3. It looks like your freight and HST (tax?) costs are $13K on the new truck. That puts you immediately in the hole $7K, after factoring in your existing $6K in equity. You are not likely to make that up, especially with payments spread over 8 years and high miles.

Who knows? Maybe all the new cars/trucks offered up in 4 years will be EV, and our gas guzzling dinosaurs will be collector's pieces. I wouldn't count on it though. Good luck.
Thanks for the response, opinion. I’ve reached a similar conclusion. 96mos is out of the running in terms of options I’m considering. Limiting things to 84mos will improve the situation but with that amount of miles/yr, won’t eliminate the issue entirely.

thanks for taking the time to respond

Ericv1980

Reaction score
If your looking to maximize equity down the road, pay more than your payment... if your payment is 750, pay 8-850 every month. Either let them take the extra of the following months payment and that will slowly get you a few months ahead on payment or have them put the excess towards the principal. Being a 0% loan technically it’s the same for you but the strategy is a good one for any loan.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Good strategy for sure.

appreciate you taking a few minutes to respond.

Users who are viewing this thread