5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally Towed With My Ram

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I posted this on the FB group but figured I'd throw it up here as well.

I finally had the chance to tow with my truck over the weekend. All in all, I was impressed with how it did.

I hooked up my 18' car trailer and set out for the gas station. After filling up the truck I pulled the empty trailer about 90 miles down the interstate. I was running with the cruise set at 77 mph on the way to pick up my load. The truck showed somewhere around 12.2 mpg (if I recall) when I reached my destination.

Picture of the tractor loaded up. It's a John Deere 770 and weighs 2200 lbs. or so. Bringing the total trailer weight up to around 4,000 lbs.

On the way back I limited the truck to 7th gear as there is no way it would stay in 8th. I ran anywhere from 75-80 mph on the way back and did not use cruise. When I got home my truck showed 10.8 mpg. While not great, it's about what I expected running the speeds I was. There was also a pretty good crosswind all day which didn't help.

While this load was nothing huge, the truck had plenty of power and rode great. I had no trouble with sway due to the wind.

I can't wait until I can actually hook up or 26' boat to the truck and see how it does. I came from a 2500 Suburban with the 8.1L and it obviously towed fantastic. It would motor on down the road at 75 mph and rarely shift out of overdrive. It got roughly 9.5 mpg towing the boat so if the Ram gets that I will be happy.

SColang22

Reaction score

I finally had the chance to tow with my truck over the weekend. All in all, I was impressed with how it did.

I hooked up my 18' car trailer and set out for the gas station. After filling up the truck I pulled the empty trailer about 90 miles down the interstate. I was running with the cruise set at 77 mph on the way to pick up my load. The truck showed somewhere around 12.2 mpg (if I recall) when I reached my destination.

Picture of the tractor loaded up. It's a John Deere 770 and weighs 2200 lbs. or so. Bringing the total trailer weight up to around 4,000 lbs.

View attachment 22365
View attachment 22366

On the way back I limited the truck to 7th gear as there is no way it would stay in 8th. I ran anywhere from 75-80 mph on the way back and did not use cruise. When I got home my truck showed 10.8 mpg. While not great, it's about what I expected running the speeds I was. There was also a pretty good crosswind all day which didn't help.

While this load was nothing huge, the truck had plenty of power and rode great. I had no trouble with sway due to the wind.

I can't wait until I can actually hook up or 26' boat to the truck and see how it does. I came from a 2500 Suburban with the 8.1L and it obviously towed fantastic. It would motor on down the road at 75 mph and rarely shift out of overdrive. It got roughly 9.5 mpg towing the boat so if the Ram gets that I will be happy.
what gear ratio?

BiLlYDeE

Reaction score

View attachment 22365
View attachment 22366

I’m curious ... the manual states that the first 500 towing miles should be driven under 50 MPH for proper breaking in of the engine. This is my first truck purchase, so not sure if that’s more of a suggestion?

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I’m curious ... the manual states that the first 500 towing miles should be driven under 50 MPH for proper breaking in of the engine. This is my first truck purchase, so not sure if that’s more of a suggestion?

I honestly wouldn’t worry about it but others will disagree. I took my Camaro to the track and started dialing it in as soon as the new engine was put in.

My truck had 3500 miles on it before I hooked anything up to it only because it was middle of winter when I bought it and had no need to tow anything. I wouldn’t have hesitated to tow with it right away though.

Users who are viewing this thread