5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fill up at Semi pumps

swaldrep

Reaction score
Looking into some to the Diesel fuel programs. I know the 5th gen have a new filler with the ribs. All the programs require you to use the semi lanes. Will the larger nozzles fit into our filler necks?
I'm only 2 tanks in, but loving the 3.0.
Thanks for info!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looking into some to the Diesel fuel programs. I know the 5th gen have a new filler with the ribs. All the programs require you to use the semi lanes. Will the larger nozzles fit into our filler necks?
I'm only 2 tanks in, but loving the 3.0.
Thanks for info!
Larger nozzles IDK about but the fill speed could overwhelm your filler tube.
A post on an older Dmax forum said:
“I agree. At a true high speed diesel pump upwards of 50 gpm... any size filler neck is to much of a restriction where as a semi is one big open tank without a filler neck.”

And from ramforumz,com:

Discussion Starter • #1 Dec 1, 2019

I’ve had a 2011 and 2018 Ram 2500. I haul a 5th wheel and in the past I always used the truck stop diesel bays.
When refuelling My 2019 3500 dually at the truck area, the filler nozzle frequently gets stuck and jams in the trucks filler tube and I have work like hell to extract it and risk damaging the tube to extract the nozzle.
Is there any aftermarket filler tube I can swap out? Short of disconnecting the trailer and going to the car diesel pumps, I can’t think of way not to eventually damage the truck. Does anyone know what causes the jamming and is there a workaround?? Really frustrated.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ive used them with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear. Guess it depends on what brand or station.
Today I filled the work 30’ 5 ton Penske rental at a Sheetz, low speed pump took awhile for 50 gallons and DEF only available in the 2.5 gallon box for $20.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The nozzle for the big boy pumps will fit. if it has springs or a vapor thing on it, don't shove it in far or hard. It can get stuck.

Also go easy on the fill, don't open the nozzle wide open, you won't even have a second to react before diesel is gushing everywhere. I can fill my 33 gallon tank in a minute flat, vs 3-4 minutes as a regular diesel station.

The big pumps also do not shut off quickly. you will spill diesel. make sure you are wearing gloves and have something to clean up any spillage from the paint. Smelling diesel all day is not fun.

myles

Reaction score
Used one once on a road trip, but I couldn't open the nozzle all the way. Still filled up way faster than a regular pump.

Vaughn

Reaction score
I've also heard back in the 2nd Gen Rams, the higher flow of the semi pumps could damage the float/sending unit causing an inaccurate or inoperable fuel gauge... A diesel mechanic warned me about using them.

YMMV

stixrg

Reaction score
Used them quite often on the 2014... just had to watch how hard you pull the nozel, but worked well. Plan to use them again on the 2020...

Users who are viewing this thread