5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feedback Request On Airlift 1000HD

tobyw

Reaction score
I recently installed the Airlift 1000HD kit on my pickup, p/n 60828HD, which has a 2,100 pound rated capacity. I loaded up the trailer and then added 45psi to the bags (50psi max rating), and was shocked to see zero, and I mean zero, difference in ride height. The airbags did literally nothing to level the load? I deflated them, unhooked the trailer, and then applied the same 45psi with no load on the truck. This time, the rear of the truck gained an astonishing 3/16" of height... For one more quick test, I had my 13yo son stand on the trailer ball with the airbags deflated, and then again with 45psi in them. Guess what, same amount of squat under the massive weight of a 13yo???? What gives here?

Can anyone else with the 1000HD kit give me any feedback on whether or not they are actually able to level the pickup with them? I've had many airbag systems over the years on various makes/models of trucks, and all of them have been capable of leveling the back of the truck with ease, or lifting it in excess 3" when empty... :unsure:

Monteman1971

Reaction score
Check the ratings on Amazon.... really mixed reviews for the 1000. I was going to get them but think I'll bite the bullet and get the 5000 instead. I've had them before on my 14 and 17 and they were very good and have gotten good reviews.

But to answer your question... there was a guy on the Amazon reviews that said with the Northern edition being an inch higher than the standard rigs, the bags did nothing to raise the vehicle. So I'm guessing they don't expand enough to compensate for the additional lift in your truck... I have the Northern too.

I towed for the first time last weekend and actually did very well without the bags but still thinking of getting them for the support. Trailer1.jpg

tobyw

Reaction score
Ahhhh, see here I was thinking the North Edition factory 1" lift was only pertinent to the front... more or less a leveling kit effect... But you're saying it's 1" taller at all four corners? Now that makes some sense as to why it appears the airbags have no effect!! Thanks for the feedback!!!!

Damion

Reaction score
Not sure about the 5th gens ( although im considering adding them to mine ) But I had a set of the 1000HD's on my '16 Ram. They seemed to work great. I had 3 tubs filled with class A gravel sitting at the tailgate and the truck didn't squat at all. each tub was easily 400lbs. I only had 5PSI in the bags at the time, and while driving you could feel the bags working when I hit a bump or dip in the road.

FYI the bags are meant to be inflated before loading the bed / hooking up the trailer. Then letting enough air out to level everything up. They won't actually lift the rear of the truck like the bigger bags will. They more or less just help resist the squat effect.

tobyw

Reaction score
Not sure about the 5th gens ( although im considering adding them to mine ) But I had a set of the 1000HD's on my '16 Ram. They seemed to work great. I had 3 tubs filled with class A gravel sitting at the tailgate and the truck didn't squat at all. each tub was easily 400lbs. I only had 5PSI in the bags at the time, and while driving you could feel the bags working when I hit a bump or dip in the road.

FYI the bags are meant to be inflated before loading the bed / hooking up the trailer. Then letting enough air out to level everything up. They won't actually lift the rear of the truck like the bigger bags will. They more or less just help resist the squat effect.

Your experience with the bags on your '16 is right in line with what I have seen in the past with all of my others. Even with minimal air pressure they added significant stability, etc. These just, well, don't?

I did read the part about inflating first and then loading, and I tried that last night with about 320lbs of water softener salt (8 x 40lb bags). Unfortunately, still ended up with exactly the same amount of squat with the bags pre-inflated, post-inflated, or not inflated at all. They simply do nothing...

I put a question in to Air Lift tech support describing the issue as well as the North Edition's factory 1" lift, so we'll what they come back with.

I would really like to hear from anyone that has a set of these on a "normal" suspension, ie not a ORP, North Edition, Rebel, etc. and see if their bags are loose vertically inside the coils at normal ride height with the bags deflated? I have about 1/4" of vertical freeplay in them, and as Monteman1971 noted they simply may not be able to expand enough to do their job in this scenario?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like was said above, you are supposed to air them up before you apply a load, they don’t perform like the traditional frame mounted ones. I have them on a non ORP truck and there is vertical free play when unloaded and unpressurized. Also mine don’t raise the truck like the frame mounted bags I’ve owned in the last. It seems to raise it a hair but puts friction on the coils to keep them from freely compressing with a load.

tobyw

Reaction score
Like was said above, you are supposed to air them up before you apply a load, they don’t perform like the traditional frame mounted ones. I have them on a non ORP truck and there is vertical free play when unloaded and unpressurized. Also mine don’t raise the truck like the frame mounted bags I’ve owned in the last. It seems to raise it a hair but puts friction on the coils to keep them from freely compressing with a load.

So what have you experienced regarding measured squat (or heck even a visual comparison) when using the bags versus not? I am getting zero results regardless of how/when I apply air pressure, so I'd love to hear from you what you've seen?

Damion

Reaction score
seeing as how im thinking of putting these on my '19 im interested as to what airlift has to say.

My truck also does not have the ORP, just standard suspension

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I'm mixed on the Air Lift 5000 on the Ram 1500, although all the stainless parts on their Ultimate version are nice. They require cutting the jounce mount while others don't. Potentially an issue if it is removed. Timber Grove, recommended by another poster, is one which doesn't: https://timbergroveenterprises.com/

ylomnstr

Reaction score
Did you ever find out anything about this? I also have a 2019 with the North edition 1" factory lift and was hoping to put these bags in to help with a 6000lb trailer.

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
I have these exact bags on my setup. I air them up before connecting my trailer. the eliminated the sag I had prior almost completely. My trailer is extremly heavy on the tongue plus a 200lb w/d anti sway hitch I'm well over 1300 lbs on the hitch.

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
I installed these on my truck as I haul a ~1100# golf cart in the bed of the truck while towing behind a motorhome. With my install, the airbags keeps the truck bed level. So far, so good for me...

ylomnstr

Reaction score
I have these exact bags on my setup. I air them up before connecting my trailer. the eliminated the sag I had prior almost completely. My trailer is extremly heavy on the tongue plus a 200lb w/d anti sway hitch I'm well over 1300 lbs on the hitch.
This is on a Ram with the factory 1" lift?

2020 Ram NFLD

Reaction score
I bought 1000HD kit for my 2020 Ram 2 years ago. I live in Canada where the weather is very variable. I hardly use the kit only maybe once per year. Last month had my ram in for an oil change and they noticed both bags were busted on the bottom. I know of this happening on other rams in my area. After the second set installed on my ram the actual vendor who installed my 1000HD kit said they actually don't recommend installing these in Canada due to the weather, etc. I heard spraying dish liquid in the bags would make then last longer. Any recommendations to make these last longer in Canada?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought 1000HD kit for my 2020 Ram 2 years ago. I live in Canada where the weather is very variable. I hardly use the kit only maybe once per year. Last month had my ram in for an oil change and they noticed both bags were busted on the bottom. I know of this happening on other rams in my area. After the second set installed on my ram the actual vendor who installed my 1000HD kit said they actually don't recommend installing these in Canada due to the weather, etc. I heard spraying dish liquid in the bags would make then last longer. Any recommendations to make these last longer in Canada?

Are you keeping the minimum air pressure in them at all times? Manufacturer says no less than 5 psi, ever, and is to be checked weekly. Do they salt the roads in winter? Maybe the salt is corroding them. I had a set of these and I was not impressed. All they do is stiffen the spring to keep it from compressing as much. I also found them to make the ride stiff and very bouncy. For them to really work right, it’s best to air them up a good amount first (no more than 50psi), then attach the trailer or load, and then make air adjustments as needed. They are a bag that inserts into the spring, so they do not really raise and lower the truck. If the truck goes up or down at all, it’s just because it’s trying to spread the space between the coils. So, if you have ever tried to compress or spread a truck coil by hand, you know that it’s not going to move much at all. How much will a mere 50 psi adjust the spring, especially when it’s inside the coil just expanding into the coils? Not much. This is why I removed them from my truck. I decided to go with Timber Grove CRM (coil replacement mount) air bags. You can deflate them completely to lower the back of the truck while loading the bed and you can put up to 500 psi (not a typo) into them to support up to 6K lbs of load. Not that I would ever recommend that kind of pressure, nor will you ever need it. The Timber Grove kit is fully bolt-on and very easy to install. They simply replace the coil springs. These bags will actually adjust the rear height of the truck and allow you to level it, no matter the load. I highly recommend the Timber Grove bags to anyone who plans on towing any significant weight. You will also not find any better customer service. Steven is top notch.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Had them on my 2018, they worked well to control squat but sadly did not survive the first winter. Also in Canada, both bags looked like they froze and then just fell apart.

2020 Ram NFLD

Reaction score
Had them on my 2018, they worked well to control squat but sadly did not survive the first winter. Also in Canada, both bags looked like they froze and then just fell apart.
yep thats what I think happen to mine too.

ManBOOYA

Reaction score
I was worried that would happen with mine. So I installed timbrens instead. Solid rubber no air at all

Users who are viewing this thread