5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Falken OEM Tires

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks to the pics from @alacombe I noticed that the Off Road Package Falken tires were made in Thailand and that they were rated at treadwear 500 and both traction and temperature were B. I was a bit surprised with the BB rating as I'd not seen that in some time. I then went over to Falken.com and figured out this is a one-off OEM tire that differs from the retail tire they advertise:

RAM OEM
Falken Wildpeak AT3WA
275-55R20 113T
UTQG 500 BB
Max PSI 51
Max Load 2535
Load Range SL?

Falken Retail
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
275/55R20 117T
UTQG 660 AB
Max PSI 50
Max Load 2833
Load Range XL

Not a big deal to those instantly replacing the tires, but I was planning on running these until they need replacement. Was just a bit surprised at how different they are vs what Falken advertises. I found the 275/55R20 in 113T online as low as $149 each but those were 660AB rated.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
RAM OEM
Falken Wildpeak AT3WA
275-55R20 113T
UTQG 500 BB
Max PSI 51
Max Load 2535
Load Range SL?

Falken Retail
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
275/55R20 117T
UTQG 660 AB
Max PSI 50
Max Load 2833
Load Range XL
@Edwards - thanks for pointing this out, as I'm planning to run the factory tires for a while as well. The OEM tires have a lower treadwear rating (500 vs. 660), a lower traction rating (B vs. A), a slightly lower load index (113 vs. 117), and are considered "Standard Load" (SL) vs. "eXtra Load" (XL).

I'm not defending them by saying this, but they should still work well for daily use. I see that Falken rates their retail model at 55K miles. @alacombe - Did you receive a tire warranty from Falken at delivery?

RAM 4times

Reaction score
i wish they would have stayed with the goodyear tires. they went with goodyear for quite a while. that's what i have on my 13 longhorn.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know they ship Goodyear with the 22" wheels but not on the off road package. Not sure about the Rebel.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i wish they would have stayed with the goodyear tires. they went with goodyear for quite a while. that's what i have on my 13 longhorn.
I've run BFG T/A KOs and KO2s for years on my existing truck and really like them. But it's a completely different application (HD truck, E-rated tires, 16" 8-lug wheels) than my to-be-built Ram 1500. Does anyone have experience running these tires on a 1/2-ton truck?

1Raider

Reaction score
Yea I think I remember seeing a spy pic of one with the Off Road pkg and it had BFG AT's on it..

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Edwards - thanks for pointing this out, as I'm planning to run the factory tires for a while as well. The OEM tires have a lower treadwear rating (500 vs. 660), a lower traction rating (B vs. A), a slightly lower load index (113 vs. 117), and are considered "Standard Load" (SL) vs. "eXtra Load" (XL).

I'm not defending them by saying this, but they should still work well for daily use. I see that Falken rates their retail model at 55K miles. @alacombe - Did you receive a tire warranty from Falken at delivery?
not that i am aware of unless its in the glovebox with all my other manuals and docs.

alow

Reaction score
Not to pile up the questions but to those who dump their tires immediately what do you do with them? Do you trade them in or sell them or let them sit as spares?

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
Not to pile up the questions but to those who dump their tires immediately what do you do with them? Do you trade them in or sell them or let them sit as spares?

the one time i did an exchange a a new truck the tire shop gave me a credit for the original one's. (not sure how much?) he said they were an easy sell - even though he didn't even sell goodyears.

whododat

Reaction score
I am running KO2's in factory size (18 inch rims) on my 19 Big Horn. I love them as much as I did on my 2016, which had 20 inch rims.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am running KO2's in factory size (18 inch rims) on my 19 Big Horn. I love them as much as I did on my 2016, which had 20 inch rims.

Did you notice any change in the ride? What spec were the KO2's? LT? Load range?
I'm interested in those as well but the new Ram rides so smooth that I'm now thinking about how different tires will affect it. Never thought about that on any previous truck.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Does the slightly lower load rating mean it won't tow as heavy of a load? RAM website doesn't differentiate the tow capacity on either you get off-road or not. But not sure if they should...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not towing, but weight capacity or payload. These OEM Falkens (aired up to 51psi) support a max vehicle + payload weight of 10,140 lbs (2535 x 4). The max payload Ram lists is 2,300 lbs but you'd have to look at your individual weight ratings as optional equipment subtracts from that.
Make sense? Towing is pulling weight and payload is supporting weight. Obviously you have the trailer tongue weight when towing that deducts from payload as well but shouldn't be an issue with appropriate cargo for a light duty truck. As long as your tongue weight didn't put you over your payload it wouldn't necessarily deduct too much from towing capacity.

I used to have a travel trailer with a 1,200# tongue weight but no light duty truck on earth has any business pulling that beast.

whododat

Reaction score
They are 275 65 18, LT, E rated tires and yes there is a difference. Not drastic but definitely different then factory goodyear tires. A tad bit rougher. I love the way they handle and drive. The wife noticed a diff in ride immediately. She said factory tires rode smoother. A slight hum as well but again, not drastic. I used to set my pressure at 42 ish on my 2016 but I have these set at 39. The factory reccom pressure is 36 psi on my 2019 for an 18 inch tire.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are 275 65 18, LT, E rated tires and yes there is a difference.
The size of KO2 that fits these 2019s (275/55/20) are rated D, so they are probably a little better riding. My current truck runs E-rated KO2s that tow at 80 psi (the factory recommended pressure). I typically run 55 psi unloaded for a 'softer' ride. I'm wondering if anyone here has run the D (non-HD) KO2s.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I've run BFG T/A KOs and KO2s for years on my existing truck and really like them. But it's a completely different application (HD truck, E-rated tires, 16" 8-lug wheels) than my to-be-built Ram 1500. Does anyone have experience running these tires on a 1/2-ton truck?

I've got 285/65/20 KO2's on my truck, not an LT tire but load range E, they ride a bit rougher but are much better tires than the stock Goodyears that came on it in my opinion.

RT70808

Reaction score
I ran KO2’s on my ecodiesel Jeep GC overland, loved them, got lots of looks, but I also got lots of looks pumping diesel into it. I lost about 1mpg gained a little road noise but they we wearing like iron! It drove me nuts that I bought a 4wd diesel with off-road package and it came with crummy touring tires.

Users who are viewing this thread