5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faital PRO 3FE22 8 ohm Bass Blocker with stock 6 speaker system?

yaksushi

Reaction score
I installed the faital PRO 3FE22 8 ohm speakers yesterday without a bass blocker. I think it sounds 10x better than the stock speakers. I installed the passenger side first just to compare the difference. You could barely tell the stock speaker was even connected. Why are some of you installing bass blockers to these speakers? Is it because I still have to stock speakers in the doors that I think it sounds good as is? What am I missing?

spark

Reaction score
I installed the faital PRO 3FE22 8 ohm speakers yesterday without a bass blocker. I think it sounds 10x better than the stock speakers. I installed the passenger side first just to compare the difference. You could barely tell the stock speaker was even connected. Why are some of you installing bass blockers to these speakers? Is it because I still have to stock speakers in the doors that I think it sounds good as is? What am I missing?

I installed the Infinity 3.5 and their resistance is much lower (3ohm I think). This causes them effectively "see" more wattage, which was causing them to struggle with the bass when the volume was turned up.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Alpine and HK systems seem to be similar since they are amplified. Low level signals come out of the head unit and the dash signals have an electronic crossover that filter out the low frequencies (aka high pass filter aka bass blocker). No physical bass blocker is needed for either of these "premium audio" systems.

The base 6 speaker audio is amplified in the head unit so high level signals go straight to the speakers (through the ANC unit under the driver's seat...which is not an amplifier for the base audio). There is no electronic "massaging" of the frequency band prior to going to the speaker so the full range is sent to the dash speakers. There is a capacitor soldered onto one of the terminals of the dash speaker that confirms this.

I'm not sure if you've read this thread but it is all explained in there:

One of the posters mentioned installing the faital PROs without bass blockers initially but went back and installed them and was happier with the sound.

I installed the 8 ohm faital PRO 3FE22 speakes with bass blockers and am really happy with the choice. With my current EQ settings I can crank up the volume to distortion on the door speakers and the dash speakers are still clear.

yaksushi

Reaction score
The Alpine and HK systems seem to be similar since they are amplified. Low level signals come out of the head unit and the dash signals have an electronic crossover that filter out the low frequencies (aka high pass filter aka bass blocker). No physical bass blocker is needed for either of these "premium audio" systems.

The base 6 speaker audio is amplified in the head unit so high level signals go straight to the speakers (through the ANC unit under the driver's seat...which is not an amplifier for the base audio). There is no electronic "massaging" of the frequency band prior to going to the speaker so the full range is sent to the dash speakers. There is a capacitor soldered onto one of the terminals of the dash speaker that confirms this.

One of the posters mentioned installing them without bass blockers initially but went back and installed them and was happier with the sound.
Thanks for the breakdown/info, guess it is a matter of taste? Maybe I'll try the ones from crutchfield and see if I think it sounds better. They are only 10 bucks so figure it would be worth a try.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are right. Everybody's taste is different. What I am happy with may not be what someone else is happy with.

If you are happy then that's all that matters. (y)

JackWaggon

Reaction score

One of the posters mentioned installing the faital PROs without bass blockers initially but went back and installed them and was happier with the sound.

I installed the 8 ohm faital PRO 3FE22 speakes with bass blockers and am really happy with the choice. With my current EQ settings I can crank up the volume to distortion on the door speakers and the dash speakers are still clear.

brian42, I am currently in the works of ordering pretty much the exact same set up with the FaitalPROs, and since I am already there I will be installing the bass blockers as well. Did you buy a specific wiring harness, or just crimp in connections? Also do you have a recommendation on who to purchase the blockers/harness from. I see that Crutchfield has them both. Thanks

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the blockers and Metra connectors through Crutchfield.

My connectors came wired backwards (as mentioned before) but Metra acknowledged they know about that. I would check yours before you start swapping pins/connections to see if you got a "good" set.

The connector snaps into the truck harness and the crimp connections slide onto the bass blockers. The bass blockers from Crutchfield come already "assembled" with crimped connections and a black wire also (all shrink-wrapped together). There are crimp connectors on both ends so one end slides onto the Metra connector wires and the other end slides onto the speakers. Not cutting, crimping, or soldering required.

JackWaggon

Reaction score
I bought the blockers and Metra connectors through Crutchfield.

My connectors came wired backwards (as mentioned before) but Metra acknowledged they know about that. I would check yours before you start swapping pins/connections to see if you got a "good" set.

The connector snaps into the truck harness and the crimp connections slide onto the bass blockers. The bass blockers from Crutchfield come already "assembled" with crimped connections and a black wire also (all shrink-wrapped together). There are crimp connectors on both ends so one end slides onto the Metra connector wires and the other end slides onto the speakers. Not cutting, crimping, or soldering required.

Thanks homey, I appreciate the words of wisdom. Also sorry if it feels like I'm jacking your style, but I like the 8 ohm to 8ohm swap and there does not seem to be too many speakers that fit the bill.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not at all. Glad I could help.

Plenty of other people’s experiences went into my decision. It’s a group effort.(y)

Users who are viewing this thread