5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory set PSI

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, so quick question on tire psi. Not looking for pressure recommendations, as I know that’s widely subjective. I have my own as well. But I took delivery yesterday on my rebel. These friggin boulders are set at 60psi, front AND back. I mean, I know theses are load range E, but come on, it’s still only a 1/2 ton.

So my question is, if it’s reading normal at these pressures and I lower it to whatever (even the stuff on the door panel with is 55F, and 45R) am I gonna get a TMPS light? I find it nuts that they’d have a factory pressure on the door and then set them WAY higher. But idk if it’s a range or a minimum.

What I’m getting at is am I in an alpha obd/taser situation here? Or is the set point just a minimum?

Thanks for any info. Cuz I felt like Fred flintstone driving home Hahhaha (still rode like a dream) but the first thing I did was scroll thru to the pressures and was like “ya that’s too high.” Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of the time the tire pressures are high from the factory to prevent flat spots from forming in the tires should the vehicle sit for an extended length of time. This should have been corrected during the pdi.

I run a few psi below the door sticker most of the time, and a few psi above when towing or hauling heavy. Find this works the best for tire wear. I don’t get any warnings until I am about 5psi below specs, and haven’t seen any above.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome thanks so much. Yeah I figured it was like a “shipping” psi for when they crank down on the tires with those straps on the trains and trucks, but great point about the flat spots.

Also sorta makes me wonder what the list is for a PDI and if I should go looking for anything else Hahha.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Recently Ram(Stellantis) changed the dealer PDI procedure. It was done on paper, easy for techs to pencil whip the paperwork and not do a true PDI. Now they do it through witech and it's all done electronically, if the PDI isn't done correctly the dealer will get charged back. What happened here the 2nd part of the PDI that is done right before delivery wasn't completed.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. And yeah it sounds like it’s one of those things that could get missed if they’re doin a bunch of vehicles that day or something.

Anyway, I just set mine down to the factory pressures on the door to try it out like that for a bit then I’ll fine tune.

idominate

Reaction score
When I bought my truck they were at 65psi. I think that is fairly normal especially in the winter months when the pressure can drop with the temperature.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha no. Not when the factory set point is like 15 lbs below that. It’s been confirmed it’s a shipping pressure. My old 3rd gen diesel ram was 60 front and 70 rear on the factory sticker but that’s an HD truck. 1500’s shouldn’t really be up that high. I doubt I’ll even leave the fronts at 55. Anyways it’s all set. I lowered it to the door specs for now and there’s no TPMS light so it’s all good.

Last edited:

tomme12

Reaction score
I picked up my 2022 rebel and I thought they were really high as well at 60-65 lbs . What should they be at?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked up my 2022 rebel and I thought they were really high as well at 60-65 lbs . What should they be at?
55 psi front and 45 rear are what the door sticker calls for. I found the middle of my tires wearing a bit quick at those pressures so I backed it off to 52/42 and it is better.

Last edited:

tomme12

Reaction score
I have about 1k miles thus far.. Im going to air down to factor specs and see how it does. Wonder how MPGs will be affected.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a nice compressor with a fixed hose reel in my garage and a fill attachment with a gauge. Some of my vehicles don't show the tire psi. That's a newer thing. ;)

Since gauges and sensors can all read different, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JL8YB36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is FAR better than the gauge on my filler here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZJ1IK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The tire filler gauge is 3 psi off.

The Jaco digital gauge exactly matches my truck's TPMS reading.

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
20% window of difference below door jam spec before TPMS light goes off. Run my Rebel between 48-50 psi.

Louhound88

Reaction score
20% window of difference below door jam spec before TPMS light goes off. Run my Rebel between 48-50 psi.
Is there some reason why the Rebel would need higher psi? I don't have a Rebel but just a "lonestar", and after chalk test I meek my tires around 35 to 37psi. I can't imagine driving at 50psi on such a light truck. I have Yokohama Geolandar MT 35's.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it's Duratrac specific with the Rebel, and they still have the same spec of 55/45 on the 2022 models, that's 3 previous models years to make a change if they thought it needed to be adjusted.

I did see some Rebels being shipped to Latin America with a completely different tire package, those pics were posted by someone on this forum, I am curious what the door jam said on those trucks.

What's interesting is the 32" Duratracs on the Silverado Trail Boss are factory spec at 41F/41R.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct... but in addition to them being the Duratracs... the Rebels also get the Load Range E version... which have a thicker sidewall (10 ply) and are generally intended for higher pressure/load bearing than regular LT tires. (yippee for us... now we get to spend an extra hundo per tire 😒 )

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Correct... but in addition to them being the Duratracs... the Rebels also get the Load Range E version... which have a thicker sidewall (10 ply) and are generally intended for higher pressure/load bearing than regular LT tires. (yippee for us... now we get to spend an extra hundo per tire 😒 )

Gotcha, that's a good point. I'll check with my buddy on his Trail boss, I wonder what rating his tires have, which could explain their 41 psi rating F&R.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gotcha, that's a good point. I'll check with my buddy on his Trail boss, I wonder what rating his tires have, which could explain their 41 psi rating F&R.
I'm actually at the office right now and my boss... has a trail boss.. too hahahah When we go outside so i can flex my new Rebel G/T muscles i'll check his sidewalls. hahaha

Louhound88

Reaction score
Hm interesting. Normal tires are just passenger tires, LT tires are different though. Mine are LT tires with 80psi max, load range E, but that's intended for true "light trucks" right and to be rated for higher load. I'm not even sure what my door jamb sticker recommends on mine. I originally had passenger tires and kept them around 36 psi or so.

I was always under the impression that 10 ply tires while rated for higher load and psi could safely be used down to any pressure. I used to drive a jeep and my load range E tires (ridge grapplers) were kept around 24psi, and I would drop them down as low as 15 psi when beach driving. Sidewalls were tough and could take the flexing easy.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
indeed, sir. and yes, they can, you are correct... P tires just cannot go the other way. but especially in the case of Jeeps and off roading, and more specifically over beach sand riding you have to drop the PSI way down, and even with that Load range E's can still be "too stiff" just because of the plys... but they are definitely tougher on trails than a P tire in resistance to cuts. My last GMC had P tires and they were 35 psi all around... before that, my Tundra had P's at 30 front, 33 rear, and before THAT my 3rd Gen HD Ram 2500 had load range E LT's and they were 50PSI front and 60PSI rear IIRC. I think the factory decides based on the intent of the trim level and chassis, but that is just an @$$umption on my part haha. Because yes, i was very surprised to see Load Range E's on a 1500, and more surprised to read the door jamb.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So checked my boss’s trail boss’s Duratracs hahhaah they are 41psi set point all around and are load range C LT tires 6ply (max pressure is 50)

My rebel Duratracs are load range E, 10 ply set point 55 front and 45 rear (max pressure 80)

I’ll have to get the specific payload/tow capacity of both by vin compared to see how that stacks up, but bottom line, they are just different tires.

Users who are viewing this thread