5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory installed vs aftermarket brake controllers

SquidQuid

Reaction score
Am I losing software integration going aftermarket and is it critical? The factory controllers are on back order pretty much nationwide. The shop I contacted for the aftermarket uses Draw Tite. Half the cost parts/labor but acknowledge 'you get what you pay for' .. usually. 2020 1500 Bighorn 4x4. Tow package already installed.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never used an aftermarket controller so I can’t speak to that aspect. But I did install the OEM controller and it was super easy. They are in stock on EBay which is where I got mine.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Are you ordering the "kit" or individual parts. Half the price if you just order the parts on your own. There is a nice write up on here with p/n's

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the kit. It’s $156 on EBay. Way less than the Mopar sites.

SquidQuid

Reaction score
I think it's great you guys did the kit but I'm not going to tackle it plus I've heard it's mostly 'miss' as in hit or miss bringing it to a dealer for them to install and flash.

badpewterz

Reaction score
what you are losing is the clean OEM look and the details in the cluster vs aftermarket. also with aftermarket you would wanna take the controller out when not in use most likely depending where you mount it
you can get into a tekonsha primus (90160) and plug n play harness (3024P) for under 100 . it will do everything you need unless your going triple axle or something crazy

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's great you guys did the kit but I'm not going to tackle it plus I've heard it's mostly 'miss' as in hit or miss bringing it to a dealer for them to install and flash.
The install is SUPER easy. And the dealers near me all can do the flash they just range from $126-$189 :cautious:

SquidQuid

Reaction score
Having a heck of a time trying to find the plug somewhere above the gas pedal. They didn't change the location on the 2020's did they?

badpewterz

Reaction score
Having a heck of a time trying to find the plug somewhere above the gas pedal. They didn't change the location on the 2020's did they?
Its up and to the right. 9-18 was easier to get to. Some have said its taped almost where the oem blank panel is

badpewterz

Reaction score
Watch from about 4:50 on. Its tied back with the module wires
Hope that helps

rourky80

Reaction score
I did this the other day on my new 2020, I ended up taking off the panel under the steering wheel as I couldn't undo the tape connecting both plugs with the room I had. Was easy once I took that panel off, carefully sliced the side of the tape and was able to remove the plug and pull it to out. Put the panel back in place and then mounted my tekonsha Primus onto the panel, all same location as my 2017 and out of the way but suitable to use easily.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

rourky80

Reaction score
Also mine wasn't behind center console (where others have said the OEM trailer controller goes), was just up higher than the old ones, near a metal brace.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

txramguy910

Reaction score
I installed a Tekonsha P3, $140 with the harness adapter on Amazon. Had to pull the panel below the steering wheel, and the factory harness was taped up underneath it, and definitely more towards the center console rather than directly above the gas pedal. I ended up wrapping all of the exposed wiring in electrical tape and mounted the controller to the panel under the steering wheel. It's just barely out of the way enough that I don't hit my knees on it. Stays installed 100% of the time, and haven't had any problems with it at all. One thing I really like about it is the presets, so I can have 1 for the trailer empty and one for it fully loaded.

Reaction score
yes thats it but check amazon/autozone/orileys also as etrailer is expensive lately. especially on the controllers.
So I've been reading up on the many brake controllers and I'm looking to get the Tekonsha 90195 P3 as was mentioned here, and the wiring harness y'all mentioned is the Tekonsha 3024-P. I'm getting confused between what amazon says, what o'Rileys says, and the Tekonsha site says. Both Amazon and O'Rileys says it won't fit my truck, Tekonsha's site says it will. I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Classic SLT 5.7L Hemi.

Figured I would go ask y'all seeing as how your discussion directly relates to what I'm trying to do! Can you confirm that the Tekonsha 3024-P (or the one from Amazon that doesn't have the -P on it) are what I would need?

-R

badpewterz

Reaction score
So I've been reading up on the many brake controllers and I'm looking to get the Tekonsha 90195 P3 as was mentioned here, and the wiring harness y'all mentioned is the Tekonsha 3024-P. I'm getting confused between what amazon says, what o'Rileys says, and the Tekonsha site says. Both Amazon and O'Rileys says it won't fit my truck, Tekonsha's site says it will. I have a 2020 RAM 1500 Classic SLT 5.7L Hemi.

Figured I would go ask y'all seeing as how your discussion directly relates to what I'm trying to do! Can you confirm that the Tekonsha 3024-P (or the one from Amazon that doesn't have the -P on it) are what I would need?

-R
the 3024-p fits both the old style "classic" and the new 5th gens. the plug is the same
i had the 3024-p in my 2018 and was gonna use it in my new 2020 5th gen but went the oem route instead and sold the 3024-p and tekonsha controller to a friend with a 5th gen and went right in and works great.

Reaction score
the 3024-p fits both the old style "classic" and the new 5th gens. the plug is the same
i had the 3024-p in my 2018 and was gonna use it in my new 2020 5th gen but went the oem route instead and sold the 3024-p and tekonsha controller to a friend with a 5th gen and went right in and works great.
Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I was looking to go the OEM route but none of the RAM dealers here said they either (a) have the parts or (b) can't flash the 2020s yet.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Braking performance on my CURT spectrum was better than the 2020 RAM 1500 OEM. The Spectrum also doesn’t cut out below 15 mph, and is more adjustable. If I didn’t already have the OEM, I would stick with the Spectrum - super easy install, looks good, easy to use and adjust, only downside is not seeing the associated dash screen (but the Spectrum has 10 LEDs that offer the same info). M2c

Users who are viewing this thread