5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F-150 Lightning

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im not really impressed.... 300 mile range on the extended battery and if you actually use it as a truck to tow/haul you are likely getting 100-150 miles per charge. Real world 1-1.5 hours to go from 15%-80% charge so you will be stopping a bunch and waiting. I'd have been more impressed if it had 500 mile range and then you would be 200-250 range towing which is on par with a gas truck. The ability to use it as a power bank for your house is pretty legit but other than that meh.

doolin64

Reaction score
Stripped out trucks are $30k now. Plus this truck will have the $7500 credit. Just like the truck market now...there's no 1 truck solution for everyone. This won't help the guys who travel far and haul a lot. But honestly, I'm a homeowner, I work locally, at most I tow a couple quads around or my mower. This thing would be great for me. I put on 10k miles a year and most of my trips are 10-20 miles round trips. Yes, as a family I'd still need a gas vehicle for those long road trips I take once or twice a year (or I could just rent). Honestly, I'm intrigued. I drove the Ford Powerboost and was impressed. Financially it didn't make sense for me to swap out of my '21 Ram for one, but in a year or two that may not be the case. I'm curious how bad mileage truly does drop with towing and coldweather. Then again in the winter, I'm not driving far.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Range isn't a factor for me for my daily driving and we could likely add a charging stop along the way on our annual road trips to see the kiddos' grandparents, but I'm a bit concerned about the handful of times I'm likely to start towing again beginning next year. Those aren't heavy tows (likely 4-6k lbs), but stretch from DC to Chicago and up/down the east coast. If this were to get, say, 100-150 miles while towing, that would get really old really fast.

Price isn't an issue for me, but I'll probably stick with a diesel for my next truck this fall and look at electric or hybrid for my next truck after that in a few years.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sheesh.... 90k for an electric F-150. Cool but not worth that type of money. Also not familiar with Ford so I don't know what the other trims would include below a Platinum.

ben b

Reaction score
The Frunk is a pretty cool concept if the truck had longer range. I agree with doolin64 that the F150 Lightening won't satisfy many (most?) truck buyers. Won't be OK for me because I bought my RAM for road trips. But it can be handy for people with multiple vehicles who can dedicate one for around-the-town only.

My preference for local hardware store runs would be to have a much smaller version. Get rid of the crew cab & reduce the frunk (keep the bed) -- make it more optimized for city & suburbs, including smaller parking spaces. Keep driving the price down lower with the simpler version.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love my carbon spewing v8 vehicles. But, if I could get the boss to run a line down to the garage for a charging station, I would be a greenie weenie all the way! Probably look for a sedan though.

Drewster

Reaction score
I hope this will be one of those that gets America's charging infrastructure off its ***. I love that the truck can adapt its range and charging advice based on your driving and towing, and it seems like a *great* option for fleets that do work around town.

Ram Ranch

Reaction score
Did you see where it can power your house for three days?

"The F-150 Lightning will enable a feature called Ford Intelligent Backup Power. As the name might suggest, this enables the pickup truck to act as a reserve of energy storage for homes during their most crucial times, essentially giving owners a Tesla PowerWall on wheels. If a weather event knocks out power, or if a car happens to hit a nearby electrical pole, the F-150 will seamlessly transfer its stored energy back into the home and automatically notify the owner via a push notification sent to their phone."

Source

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
41-minutes to charge from 15% to 80%. So that is assuming 65% of battery capacity as the usable range. Towing cuts that in half.

That means 41 mins of charging would net you only 65 miles (200 mi battery) or 98 miles (300 mi battery) of range when towing.

That’s basically drive for an hour then change for an hour. Repeat.

Sorry, doesn’t work for me.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe Lightning refers to another method of charging? You know like Back to the Future, 1.21 gigawatts anyone? That would get you down the road

ben b

Reaction score
41-minutes to charge from 15% to 80%. So that is assuming 65% of battery capacity as the usable range. Towing cuts that in half.

That means 41 mins of charging would net you only 65 miles (200 mi battery) or 98 miles (300 mi battery) of range when towing.

That’s basically drive for an hour then change for an hour. Repeat.

Sorry, doesn’t work for me.
Actually, range may even be a little worse. My wife has a Prius Prime hybrid. Its all electric range is around 34 miles in summer (50-90 degrees typically in SF Bay Area). But it falls to around 27 miles in winter (32 - 55 degrees typically). I believe the range was advertised to be 32 miles. As far as I know, all electric vehicles exhibit this behavior.

So if you drive in a cold area, expect range to be significantly shorter than typical.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
🧞‍♂️shazammmm looks like a lot of half truths! but it has to start somewhere. In ten years it will be perfected, maybe. the green idea is great, but they never tell you the enviromental cost of digging for rare metals and processing them into batteries etc. list goes on. so either way unless you are going to walk everywhere we make the environment worse off. but can we really control the worlds temperature? the world has done resets( ice heat ages)over and over even when human were not around, and it will continue to do so. i love electric vehicles for the insane torch and speed. SHAZAAMMMA mama ding dong.
:ROFLMAO::alien:🛸maybe spacecraft is the way to go

Awood05

Reaction score
It looks cool. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not hating on any brand trying to electrify it’s product offering. BUT the infrastructure to support EV’s and the charging capacities are pathetic. This doesn’t even take into account the “Range Anxiety” factor.

On a side note, as an actual Lightning Owner and Enthusist I am VERY disappointed in Ford for tagging this as an L for marketing purposes. I now know how the Mustang Faithful felt when the Mach-E came out.....bullish....t

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It looks cool. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not hating on any brand trying to electrify it’s product offering. BUT the infrastructure to support EV’s and the charging capacities are pathetic. This doesn’t even take into account the “Range Anxiety” factor.

On a side note, as an actual Lightning Owner and Enthusist I am VERY disappointed in Ford for tagging this as an L for marketing purposes. I now know how the Mustang Faithful felt when the Mach-E came out.....bullish....t
The BIG difference here is that Lightning actually makes great sense...Lightning is electric!

Users who are viewing this thread