5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ez pass, toll card

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was reading this thread:

post #3
"I keep my toll road card in there, since I don't like attaching them to the windshield with that permanent glue they use."

Made me wonder what a "toll road card" looks like and how toll collection varies from state to state or geographic areas.

NYC metro area is E-ZPass and I am able to place them so the mirror obscures their presence. The Verrazano bridge is $19.00 without it (photo and mailed) or $12.24 with it. There are also other discounts. Port Authority tolls specifically advise not to hold the E-Zpass when paying the toll.
EZpass (1).jpg
NYC tolls are way beyond reasonable and used to supplement mass transit where people are not paying there fare with no repercussions. Last I read 1 in 5 do not pay for the bus and some drivers would say it is higher.

What NYC is #1 in:

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

post #3
"I keep my toll road card in there, since I don't like attaching them to the windshield with that permanent glue they use."

Made me wonder what a "toll road card" looks like and how toll collection varies from state to state or geographic areas.

NYC metro area is E-ZPass and I am able to place them so the mirror obscures their presence. The Verrazano bridge is $19.00 without it (photo and mailed) or $12.24 with it. There are also other discounts. Port Authority tolls specifically advise not to hold the E-Zpass when paying the toll.
View attachment 41202
NYC tolls are way beyond reasonable and used to supplement mass transit where people are not paying there fare with no repercussions. Last I read 1 in 5 do not pay for the bus and some drivers would say it is higher.

What NYC is #1 in:
I used to cross that bridge all the time, but from the bottom - I was on a ship stationed at the Naval base in Staten Island :D . If you live in SI and have to work in Brooklyn, or vice versa, damn that's $400 per month just in that toll. That's crazy. I used to complain about the toll over the Outer Bridge going in to work every day (I lived in NJ when not on the ship) and it was probably $2 or something like that.

Anyway, I use my center pocket there for nothing except a pen unless I'm driving on a long trip, then I park my radar detector up there since it uses a regular 12v socket.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

post #3

View attachment 41202

What NYC is #1 in:
LOL - that was my post.
Here in Houston, we have "EZ Tags". It's an almost paper-thin RFID card that you glue to your windshield. If you sell your vehicle, card gets destroyed when removing since the adhesive is pretty strong and the card so thin. Tolls here vary from 30 cents to a buck or more per station, depending on location.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use that center pocket to store an inexpensive folding pocket knife.
So glad I don't have to deal with tolls on a daily basis where I am. That one on the Verrazano bridge would dictate my decision of where I live and work for sure. I don't have a problem with paying them if the sole purpose is to pay for the structure, and once it's paid off it goes away. The problem is, once it's in place, crooked politicians decide it's a good source of revenue. So they not only keep it in place, they periodically raise the fees until you get what you have in NYC. Using it for whatever pet project flavor of the month.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I use that center pocket to store an inexpensive folding pocket knife.
So glad I don't have to deal with tolls on a daily basis where I am. That one on the Verrazano bridge would dictate my decision of where I live and work for sure. I don't have a problem with paying them if the sole purpose is to pay for the structure, and once it's paid off it goes away. The problem is, once it's in place, crooked politicians decide it's a good source of revenue. So they not only keep it in place, they periodically raise the fees until you get what you have in NYC. Using it for whatever pet project flavor of the month.
Agree, it is such a sham. So much money wasted. New road project, let's waste millions and millions of dollars on consultants which may or may not have ties to these people running the show for these "consultants" to lay out the framework for telling the county to put up less new roads and urge everyone to dirty, crime ridden, head on a swivel and time consuming public transportation to solve all problems. Where is all this bridge money going!? It is on top of all the transportation/gas taxes we already pay. So much is wasted. Let's train and develop the people that work for the transportation departments already to actually solve traffic problems with fundamental traffic simulators and such and stop wasting on consultants and urging everyone towards public transportation. So much waste is why I always vote no on new taxes. Sort of like the state lottery, lets do this great lottery to add money to fund our school systems, ok cool we have that money now lets get rid of the existing funding we were giving to the schools and purpose that for our politicians pockets or some other bs. But on the bright side, the weather is nice where I live lol.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL - that was my post.
Here in Houston, we have "EZ Tags". It's an almost paper-thin RFID card that you glue to your windshield. If you sell your vehicle, card gets destroyed when removing since the adhesive is pretty strong and the card so thin. Tolls here vary from 30 cents to a buck or more per station, depending on location.

Since I've got the tinted windshield (clear but UV & IR blocking) I used the cell phone screen protectors. Just stick the EZ Tag to the finger side of the protector and then static cling it to the windshield. Works great and hasn't moved in well over a year. Did the same for the registration sticker.
Also will be handy if (when) I need a new windshield due to excessive chips/cracks.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
In SoCal, we use FasTrak to pay for toll lanes or let us use the carpool lanes. It's a little plastic transponder that sits on the dash. You set it for 1, 2 or 3+ passengers. Shortly after you enter the toll lane, you pass under a sign that has the hardware in it and you hear the transponder beep to let you know it has been read.

You just set up an account and it bills your credit card. When its not being used, we keep ours in the door pocket.

transponder_front_angle12.jpg

Jako

Reaction score
LOL - that was my post.
E-Zpass attaches with 3M dual lock. A lot of people think it is velcro.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Watch the YT videos on toll evaders sometime... some great ideas there, revolving license plates, all kinds of James Bond stuff.

I remember down in Houston the media would report on toll cheats who had racked up tens of thousands in overdue/fines for going through...

Jako

Reaction score
In SoCal, we use FasTrak to pay for toll lanes or let us use the carpool lanes. It's a little plastic transponder that sits on the dash. You set it for 1, 2 or 3+ passengers. Shortly after you enter the toll lane, you pass under a sign that has the hardware in it and you hear the transponder beep to let you know it has been read.

You just set up an account and it bills your credit card. When its not being used, we keep ours in the door pocket.

transponder_front_angle12.jpg
Port Authority (PA) of NY/NJ eliminated car pool discounts after they went to cashless tolls (photo & mailed/EZ). Used to go through for a $1 quickly rose to $3 and now PA has an excuse. Politicians getting involved to bring it back. Obviously it can be done. I believe "Authorities" are created to take the heat off the politicians, in this case NY/NJ governor. Some nice jobs if you are part of the "connections". PA police is a sought after job that has an opaque hiring process.

Users who are viewing this thread