5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experienced Natures Wrath Last Night

cervelo15

Reaction score
So all day yesterday here in eastern PA, not a hint of a thunderstorm. Was nice, breezy and pleasant. Then about 830 last night it started lightning, then rain and then the event in the below picture happened:
4005663D-66B6-4E8B-BF73-577354F71426.jpeg D53D9BAB-3813-4E23-91AA-3DAB106686C2.jpeg
No damage, no marks anywhere. It’s like it never happened, so I have no idea where it struck exactly. Been up and down our yard several times today and zero marks. I was sitting on the couch in our family room which faces where it struck. It looked like pure daylight out there when it struck. Weirdest yet was the time stamp when it struck was 9:11:11. Guess I better make a wish on the 11:11. A big thanks to our neighbor for capturing this footage on one of his cameras around his house.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So all day yesterday here in eastern PA, not a hint of a thunderstorm. Was nice, breezy and pleasant. Then about 830 last night it started lightning, then rain and then the event in the below picture happened:
View attachment 105512 View attachment 105513
No damage, no marks anywhere. It’s like it never happened, so I have no idea where it struck exactly. Been up and down our yard several times today and zero marks. I was sitting on the couch in our family room which faces where it struck. It looked like pure daylight out there when it struck. Weirdest yet was the time stamp when it struck was 9:11:11. Guess I better make a wish on the 11:11. A big thanks to our neighbor for capturing this footage on one of his cameras around his house.
Check your trees. That happened to me many years ago - no sign of damage. But later that year, it became apparent that one of the large trees in my front yard was dead.
Only reason I knew there was a strike was because I came home from work and the power was off. After walking around the house, I called the cops because it looked like someone had taken a sledgehammer to the wall by my front door. Turns out it was because the electrical outlet had exploded. And the phone junction box. And the cable box. And the exterior lights.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I took a lightning hit about a month ago. I saw the lightning, it struck maybe 100 feet away from the house but sounded exactly like a rock hitting the window. Then the KA BLAM. The charge got onto the Comcast internet cable and jumped onto my LAN. Blew out a router, printer, VOIP, wireless phone, music streamer, in house phone line and a USB cable. I spent the next week replacing, fixing and debugging the problems. Freakin technology and lightning don't mix.

Redfour5

Reaction score
We had a big one about a couple of weeks ago. I was out with the garage door open seeing how bad the rain was as I can have it come in the garage upon occasion, well anyway, I hear a loud POP up the hill (forested), see a blue light from the electrical switcher/capacitor up there, then flash and a split second later KABOOM. I later found that the actual strike was quite a distance from us, but the air was apparently extremely charged to have an affect on the "capacitor" on the pole a couple hundred feet from the house PRIOR to the actual strike.

Last edited:

cervelo15

Reaction score
Its amazing (and I'm no climatologist) how unpredictable the weather patterns are lately. There was a lifeguard killed by a lightning strike at the Jersey shore not too long ago. I heard there was a storm well off in the distance, but where he was standing it was sunny and clear. Was struck and died. That's the second one I have heard of this year on the coast. Being a cyclist, I've left my house in clear, sunny weather only to get 5-10 miles down the road and run into a torrential storm. It's happened to me on several occasions. It's just weird how you can draw a line on a map sometimes and only a difference of several miles you have 2 totally different weather patterns.

Users who are viewing this thread