5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust leak anyone

Duran

Reaction score
Ive complained the dealer that my truck has a weird sound while in low rpms and while accelerating. To me seems clear to be exhaust manifold leak. But of course id have to make it clear as day to the dealer in order for them to begin to look at it.
Does anyone have a def way to tell me what an exhast sounds like.
My truck sounds loud driving by under the vehicle.
Any visual cues as well ???

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Broken exhaust manifold bolts have plagued the Hemi for years. Cracked exhaust manifolds have been been reported by quite a few members here as well. It shouldn't be something you need to prove to your dealer if it has an obvious exhaust leak. If they deny there's an issue you might want to find another dealership to work with.

NewRamGuy20

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie is about to have the passenger side exhaust manifold replaced due to a hairline crack between the middle two pipes. waiting for the parts to come in and it's all under warranty but shocking none the less on a 2020 with 44K. dealer said they're seeing about 3 per month from the 19-21 years for cracked passenger side manifolds and broken studs.

For anyone diagnosing a similar issue, the sound would go away after about 10 minutes of driving because the manifold would expand from the heat and close the crack.

Last edited:

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Add mine to the list.. Dropped her off this morning for the same problem along with a clunking front end.. Exhaust manifold is cracked as well and the front swaybar end links are trash. Ordered both, ETA is some time in J U L Y!!! WTF?!?!?!?!

****35,600'ish miles, 2 1/2 yrs old

Last edited:

Duran

Reaction score
Im at the dealer as i read the last post. Im here for an oil change and to check for the exhaust manifold. Im hoping they find it and hoping they dont at the same time . I will check in after

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to find an exhaust leak yourself, all you need is a cheap stethoscope like this one. I usually take off the end and put in a new brake line for listening to leaks, or put on the solid end for listening to bearings going bad.

Nels

Reaction score
Add mine to the list.. Dropped her off this morning for the same problem along with a clunking front end.. Exhaust manifold is cracked as well and the front swaybar end links are trash. Ordered both, ETA is some time in J U L Y!!! WTF?!?!?!?!

****35,600'ish miles, 2 1/2 yrs old
I brought my 2019 to the dealer suspecting a cracked manifold on the passwnger side because i could hear the tick. They determined it needed to be replaced, along with the drivers side and informed me when done that the front sway bar links had also been replaced because they needed. I didn't even know that part when I brought it in. All covered under warranty. Guess I should be thankful for a proactive dealer.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only thing they were proactive about was trying to charge me $180 to update 9 modules on my truck.. that aren't covered by warranty. Told him thanks, but no thanks.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2017 has two broken manifold bolts on the passenger side right now. Started around 100,000 miles so I’ve been luckier than most. It’s plenty loud at cold start. Not even gonna bother to fix it since my new truck should be here soon. Really annoyed they still haven’t figured this problem out all these years later. 😡

Duran

Reaction score
Its confirmed. I have a cracked manifold. The maintenance supervisor went ahead and ordered me 2 new ones. Should have an ETA here soon.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Parts on the "updated" manifolds with tie bars are hard to get right now.

Raminit

Reaction score
I just had both done after waiting for months and months then when they finally come in The clowns at the dealership ended cutting my air suspension line :/ doing the install

Duran

Reaction score
finally
got my truck back with 2 new exhaust manifolds. I am so happy not to hear that wreched noise.
i will say i am very disappointed with chryslers rental car reembursment program. I was told if i rented a car for the 2 days it took to install these parts that i would have to submit the work order amd invoice from the rental to either be approved or denied for reimbursement. To which she couldnt tell me on what basis i would either be approved or denied. I was told that department could only be contacted via email.

Users who are viewing this thread