5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excited to tow my racecar with my new (to me) 2020 EcoDiesel

iStubz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New forum member here,
I just picked up my Billet Silver 2020 Laramie/Sport EcoDiesel to replace my 2017 GMC Sierra 1500.
I drive quite a lot, (mostly highway) and have put 100k miles on my previous truck in just over 2 years. A lot of this is while towing, as I tow my racecar(s) to the track a few times a month when life allows it.

I’ve heard quite a few horror stories of the second gen ecodiesels but not much of the third, I’m hoping my experience is a good one - as the 5.3 Gas Sierra never skipped a beat with me, even towing as far as 48 hours round trip.

Anyways, if you have any tips / pointers, let me know. The new truck is at 29k miles, but I do not have warranty as it is a rebuilt salvage title truck, so anything I can do to make the truck better, is free game, short of California’s emissions (which can be a little overlooked ;))

Thanks guys!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know why it was totaled? With insurance companies paying over $25-$30k to fix these trucks. Had to be something major. Who rebuilt it? What is their reputation? The last salvage title vehicle I bought had wood screws holding the front bumper on. I did look it over real good before I bought it. Got in a wreck the month after I bought it and that's how I found the wood screws. Luckily for me, insurance totaled it again, and gave me almost double what I paid for it

iStubz

Reaction score
Do you know why it was totaled? With insurance companies paying over $25-$30k to fix these trucks. Had to be something major. Who rebuilt it? What is their reputation? The last salvage title vehicle I bought had wood screws holding the front bumper on. I did look it over real good before I bought it. Got in a wreck the month after I bought it and that's how I found the wood screws. Luckily for me, insurance totaled it again, and gave me almost double what I paid for
Have no fear, we’ve been buying salvage cars and trucks direct from the insurance auctions for years. I’ve had 30+ salvage vehicles, and I have had less problems than most of my friends with new dealership bought cars. It’s currently being rebuilt still actually, by us and will be painted by a top notch bodyshop when done. The damage is light, passenger bed side and rear door, and corner of the cab between will be repaired. No frame damage, etc.
Insurance companies can easily total anything for any reason - I’ve seen it all. Super high inaccurate bodyshop quotes, my sierra is a salvage from flood - I didn’t have to repair or replace or fix a single thing, I drove it home and it’s been flawless for 110k miles. It was in water that was up to the center wheel line - and there’s no rust either, yet it’s salvage.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have no fear, we’ve been buying salvage cars and trucks direct from the insurance auctions for years. I’ve had 30+ salvage vehicles, and I have had less problems than most of my friends with new dealership bought cars. It’s currently being rebuilt still actually, by us and will be painted by a top notch bodyshop when done. The damage is light, passenger bed side and rear door, and corner of the cab between will be repaired. No frame damage, etc.
Insurance companies can easily total anything for any reason - I’ve seen it all. Super high inaccurate bodyshop quotes, my sierra is a salvage from flood - I didn’t have to repair or replace or fix a single thing, I drove it home and it’s been flawless for 110k miles. It was in water that was up to the center wheel line - and there’s no rust either, yet it’s salvage.
Good that you know the history, and doing the work yourself, you know it will be done to your standards

Users who are viewing this thread