5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excessive lifter noise not resolved by dealer / Chrsyler

mootspoints

Reaction score
Who else has this problem? Super bad lifter noise on startup. Mine is random (cold and warm start). The dealer “can’t replicate” even though I’ve sent both them and Chrysler multiple videos. I understand intermittent problems might not show up while it’s at the dealer, but it’s frustrating. 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab with 5000 miles on the odometer.

here are a few of many instances with my truck:

So far no move to resolve my problem by Chrysler. 5000 miles on odometer.

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the tick randomly for a second or two just like your videos. Also 5k on the clock. After looking around quite a bit it seems that it's normal as long as it goes away very quickly after startup.

mootspoints

Reaction score
I have the tick randomly for a second or two just like your videos. Also 5k on the clock. After looking around quite a bit it seems that it's normal as long as it goes away very quickly after startup.
I know that it’s common, but I’m definitely not ready to call it normal. It’s not normal for hydraulic lifters to not do the hydraulic part in the lifting...

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know that it’s common, but I’m definitely not ready to call it normal. It’s not normal for hydraulic lifters to not do the hydraulic part in the lifting...

It's "normal" for the hemi to tick upon startup for a few seconds; ie, dealers won't fix as there is nothing they can do to fix since the vast majority do it right from day 1.

Boston

Reaction score
More than initial start up, is cause for concern. Can you monitor your oil pressure in real time?

mootspoints

Reaction score
More than initial start up, is cause for concern. Can you monitor your oil pressure in real time?
I could buy an oil pressure gage I suppose, but I wish the dealership would just do that work instead of me having to do it. The oil pressure monitor in the dash doesn’t read for several seconds after the truck starts by design.

Scram1500

Reaction score
It could be a leaky check valve in the oil filter. Also, there is a post about start-up noise being related to pressing or holding the brake down during start-up

silver billet

Reaction score
It could be a leaky check valve in the oil filter. Also, there is a post about start-up noise being related to pressing or holding the brake down during start-up

The start up noise related to brake pedal is a different noise, that's a single solid clang/clunk whereas the lifter noise in those videos is highspeed clacking/ticking which lasts a few seconds.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I had over 200000 miles on my first Hemi (2003), over 120000 miles on my 2012, and 20000 on my 2019. The only problem I has was with my 2012, the exhaust manifold had a crack in it, and once warmed up, it sealed. the 'tick' went away. changed oil 5000-9000 miles, mobil one full synth, and oil filter. I do not hear it in mine 2019..

Firebird

Reaction score
I don't see how this can be "normal"
Have owned 7 Hemi Rams, and none have ever ticked at startup. However, I do not use 5w20 oil, I always use 5w30

mootspoints

Reaction score
I did read those posts previously and changed the oil and filter with Amsoil / K&N. I was hopeful, but It didn't change it. It's been making the noise since day 1 and has continued through 5000 miles.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may switch to 5w30 to see if that works with mine. In 5000 miles I may have heard it 10 times, but I've still heard it.

cbiery71

Reaction score
Who else has this problem? Super bad lifter noise on startup. Mine is random (cold and warm start). The dealer “can’t replicate” even though I’ve sent both them and Chrysler multiple videos. I understand intermittent problems might not show up while it’s at the dealer, but it’s frustrating. 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab with 5000 miles on the odometer.

here are a few of many instances with my truck:

So far no move to resolve my problem by Chrysler. 5000 miles on odometer.
Noticed it once and awhile on my 2019 Limited as well with 16K miles. Does go away rather quickly after a few seconds. Came on here to see if anyone else had the tick.

Users who are viewing this thread