5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excessive amount of recalls?? My truck is now at dealer, should I take delivery?

arizonapaul

Reaction score
So I really want my New Ram 1500 loaded Longhorn that is finally sitting at the dealership as of Friday. This has been a long wait, and also a reorder of a different configuration since Sept 18. They could not built the first 2 tone build!! Shortly after I get the call, that I can come in on Saturday and finally take delivery of the my new truck, I get a second call. They now tell me they can't sell it yet because of the brake pedal recall , and won't know anything about parts or the fix until Tuesday.
Friends have been telling me "look at the signs", you are not meant for this truck after all these delays and what seems like a lot of recalls.
Do you all think that the recalls have been excessive and maybe, just maybe if I have the willpower to walk away from this beauty, I should. Heck, the 2020's are probably coming out in a few months anyways. Also, for you that have owned your truck for awhile, how many times have you had to go back to the dealer for a problem or a recall.
Should I take deliver or make a stand?

geotex1

Reaction score
Excessive? Your kidding! There is not even a handful! I had 98 Chevy C/K thar had more recalls, and that was a model built for 10 years before I bought it.

As for the two-tone, that was the result of FCA production changes because they were getting pre-finished component mismatch and are constructing a new paint facility.

arizonapaul

Reaction score
Excessive? Your kidding! There is not even a handful! I had 98 Chevy C/K thar had more recalls, and that was a model built for 10 years before I bought it.

As for the two-tone, that was the result of FCA production changes because they were getting pre-finished component mismatch and are constructing a new paint facility.

Well, not only recalls, but just look at all the posts we have here about various issues or problems with their trucks. Its concerning...
I'm a hug ram fan, having a 2014 sport and now trading in my 2016 sport for the 19, but I just don't want to be running to the dealer every week. And I never had any problems with these 2 previous trucks.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I really want my New Ram 1500 loaded Longhorn that is finally sitting at the dealership as of Friday. This has been a long wait, and also a reorder of a different configuration since Sept 18. They could not built the first 2 tone build!! Shortly after I get the call, that I can come in on Saturday and finally take delivery of the my new truck, I get a second call. They now tell me they can't sell it yet because of the brake pedal recall , and won't know anything about parts or the fix until Tuesday.
Friends have been telling me "look at the signs", you are not meant for this truck after all these delays and what seems like a lot of recalls.
Do you all think that the recalls have been excessive and maybe, just maybe if I have the willpower to walk away from this beauty, I should. Heck, the 2020's are probably coming out in a few months anyways. Also, for you that have owned your truck for awhile, how many times have you had to go back to the dealer for a problem or a recall.
Should I take deliver or make a stand?
I can’t tell you what to do; you have to decide whether or not you are comfortable moving forward.

That said, a couple of minor recalls (in terms of fixed, not importance) and handful of TSBs on an alll-new generation of vehicle are not surprising at all, given the complexity of the product.

I’ve only had one nagging issue, and it’s a very minor one...I’ve been waiting for a part for months now. If I encountered some of the more severe issues, I’d be second-guessing things. Fortunately, we’re very pleased with our purchase.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a big financial commitment... atleast for me. It’s up to you, I and the family are crazy about my truck. It has to go in for recalls and a list of other things. But atm I don’t have regret.

Yog

Reaction score
Had mine since the end of November. Never had a problem, never had a recall. Not sure why you think your new truck would constantly be at the dealer...

arizonapaul

Reaction score
I'm sure I will get it, I just like to be reinforced sometimes from current owners. thanks

Last edited:

geotex1

Reaction score
Well, not only recalls, but just look at all the posts we have here about various issues or problems with their trucks. Its concerning...
I'm a hug ram fan, having a 2014 sport and now trading in my 2016 sport for the 19, but I just don't want to be running to the dealer every week. And I never had any problems with these 2 previous trucks.

Human nature is the freely complain and rarely complement. You cannot use a forum as a measure. We just hit 8000 members here, and compared to total production built to date, that's a drop in a lake. This modern expectation of perfection at every price point is absolutely ridiculous. Nothing is perfect, and you have to be ok with that and know that TSBs, recalls, warranties are there for a reason. If you cannot, then maybe new is not for you so you start with used imperfection. I get it, I have a friend who can't think any other way. However, if this truck is exactly what you want, passes your test drive and fits your inspection before signing on the line, then don't let the opinion of only this tiny, tiny sample of owners decide for you.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
This is my first Ram in 15 years and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve had 3 Silverados in that time that were loaded with their own problems. My 15 had 3 recalls back to back and that was on a model that hadn’t been changed in a couple of years. I knew going into this Ram, with it being a completely new model, that there was going to be some issues that pop up. To me, it’s how your service department takes care of you on those issues. I’m lucky because I have a great dealer that has an even better service department and has handled my few issues flawlessly. Every vehicle has issues. Talk to Ford guys and they’ll tell you the same. My buddy had to drive home 40 miles with his drivers door bungie corded shut because the door wouldn’t latch shut on his 1 year old ford. I’m only 6 months in on my new Ram but I wouldn’t trade this truck for anything that’s out there now.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Walk away. If anything happens, you'll have to live knowing you were skeptical and should have known better. Sitting at the RAM dealer stewing over your bad decision.

Go get something else and stay out of the forums for whatever brand you decide on. When you are sitting at their dealer getting them fixed, you'll have the piece of mind knowing that you didn't know better. It'll make siting there so much better. You'll not be unhappy at all.

frankismint

Reaction score
This is my third ram. Amy last 3 served me well, but wouldn’t wanna own these things long term. Leasing works well for me. Def some first model year kinks exist.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my truck for 6 months now, I had one recall that I just got for the power steering relay. Not excessive, recalls are up on all vechiles becasue of all the technology and safety equipment in them these days.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked up my ordered fully loaded Longhorn in July, have just under 11,000 miles now and no problems. It has been to the dealer twice, once for the first oil change and the second time for the second oil change and a recall. I have another recall that is a fairly quick procedure and will have it done on the third oil change. I have had many vehicles with many recalls including a ‘08 Honda Accord that had over 200,000 miles on it when it had a airbag recall and a ‘86 Ford Taurus that was 12 years old and had 200,000 miles as well with a recall. Many other recalls with Ford pickups and even a couple with my previous Ram Cummins. Good luck with your decision!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What is your reason for buying the Ram and what is your option if you do not buy the Ram? How long do you plan on owning it?
I have 3 months of ownership, 3300 miles and 21.+ mpg (380 mile highway trip, speed limit) - loving it. I bought the Ram for the ride and interior - no regrets. The coil springs give a superior ride compared to leaf springs. A 2018 Ford F-150 test ride on a NYC pot holed/patched street did do significantly better than my 2001 Dodge 1500 with 82,000 miles.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
The underlying fact here is this

In a world of liabilities each manufacture is going to do 2 things despite pressures to produce and manufacturer competition..to mitigate the risk

1) place an enormous amount of testing and engineering into their project before release. Compared to vehicles of even 10 years ago and with technology and new materials that will improve. Think about CAD design and how far that has come in the last 10 years...amazing.

2) any sign of safety being an issue, new tech and their new flagship trucks having their names impacted will be dealt with. 50 recalls can always be promoted as “at least they are proactive”

Having a major issue that could hurt the company (Ram) as a result of injury or death would really destroy the momentum that have worked to gain. Bad press today in a world of social media can kill a manufacturer.

I could speak to this for a while but no one reads long posts.

Long story short...expect better overall quality, longer lasting trucks and recalls to address small things as well as the big things. There will be some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arizonapaul

Reaction score
What is your reason for buying the Ram and what is your option if you do not buy the Ram? How long do you plan on owning it?
I have 3 months of ownership, 3300 miles and 21.+ mpg (380 mile highway trip, speed limit) - loving it. I bought the Ram for the ride and interior - no regrets. The coil springs give a superior ride compared to leaf springs. A 2018 Ford F-150 test ride on a NYC pot holed/patched street did do significantly better than my 2001 Dodge 1500 with 82,000 miles.

I bought the ram, because I love them, and in my opinion, the Longhorn, especially with the interior is second to none, nothing comes close. So there is not a second choice, its this truck or none. BTW, this is a second vehicle for me as I will never part with my MB 550SL

MJB

Reaction score

I wouldn't get too tied up in all that. People post when something is wrong. There's less cause for a post that says "Everything is perfect with my truck"

I've had my Rebel for a few weeks - I think I've put about 700 miles on it. Zero issues. I'm sure I'm jinxing myself by posting this, but so far it's been a great truck. An absolute joy to drive.

Zebber

Reaction score
I have had nothing but Dodge/Ram trucks for the past 20 years (1998, 2002, 2006, 2009, 2019) with no major problems with any of them. My only new non Mopar truck was a 1996 GMC that had 3 engines replaced in 2 years (traded it on the 1998 Dodge ). Every one of these trucks have had some type of recall on them. The 2009 had the most at 4 recalls over the 9 years I owned it (traded in on the 2019 Rebel) but all of the recalls were for minor things like hood latch, tie rod ends, diff bolts, emergency brake. So far I have had 2 on the Rebel, power steering and pedals. But, like I said earlier no major problems with any of them so far. Always start , run great , lots of towing power , good panel fit and since the 2009 , great interiors. Automobles are complicated machines with thousands of moving parts and I expect to have a few small problems, especially with a brand new design. What I won't tolerate is engines being replaced, transmissions going bad, rearends breaking or something that leaves me stranded hundreds of miles from home.

rdz418

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Double check with your dealer. Don't know why you have to wait until Tuesday about the recall. Had my truck in for the ground cable recall and the dealer told me that they would also do the paddle recall while it was there. I wasn't even aware of that recall at the time. Other than that, I've had no issues. Not even any problems with the air suspension in sub-zero temps

Users who are viewing this thread