5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETorque Starting

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Ok, so I understand most start/stop systems just use a beefier starter motor, but Ram uses a generator and still has a starter. I know the starter handles initial startup and eTorque start/stop wont go active until certain parameters are met.
What I dont know and am curious about is if the generator ever handles push button startup? For instance, if I been driving for an hour or so, I stop, for whatever reason, for a few minutes, turn truck back on. Is that always a starter start or could it be a generator start?

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I 'think' any manual start, as in you pushing the start button, is handled by the starter. It sounds / feels different no matter how long the vehicle has been off due to the starter motor engaging.

Any AS/S is handled by the Etrq system and is much smoother.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Thanks! That was way better wording than what I was coming up with! Manual start.
I totally can tell/feel the difference when I start in morning and when it starts off a stoplight. Way smoother. I wouldn't mind more smoother starts, throughout the day, tho. I guess I kinda feel smug and superior when my truck starts quickly and quietly vs other start/stop systems

Users who are viewing this thread