5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ETorque Issue

Dan Baynton

Reaction score
I just read most the posts and comments related to the Etorque issues that some of you are having or had. I wish I would have read these before I bought my 2020 Limited. I had my truck for less than a week and put on about 900km when the service engine light came on then shortly afterwards the battery light came on. Took it to the closest dealership on the very next Monday and it has been there now for close to 4 weeks waiting on a replacement etorque generator. Basically they tell me that it needs to be replaced because it’s not charging the 12v battery. I escalated the case with Chrysler Canada at the advise of the dealership and they have no idea when the replacement part will be available. I find it hard to believe that Ram are building new trucks on a daily basis and have no idea when replacement parts will be available for existing customers.... in my opinion Chrysler needs to look after their existing customer before potential new ones. This is my 4th ram truck and I have loved them all but this experience has left me less than impressed and I’m not sure if I’ll by another one. I had a 2014, 2016 and 2018 limited all with the Hemi and had very little issues with any of them. My 2020 at $100K Canadian is now sitting at the dealership with no solution in sight and no one within Chrysler Canada seem to care or have any idea when it might be fixed. At least they are covering the cost of a rental.... I hope that those who have had this issue and their trucks have been fixed that the problem didn’t come back or any other problems related to the etorque system.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry that you are having this problem with your new 20 Ltd! I thought the ET issues were pretty much gone now. The earlier ET 19’s had some of the same but for quite awhile (say past March) there hasn’t been any that I’ve seen here. In fact, if I were buying a 20 (and yes its standard), it wouldn’t have bothered me like it did (so I didn't get one) in 19.

Hopefully your escalation will resolve it. It does suck that you are in some loaner when your bee u tiful Ltd is stuck in their lot.

Please keep us posted!

Dan Baynton

Reaction score
I just read most the posts and comments related to the Etorque issues that some of you are having or had. I wish I would have read these before I bought my 2020 Limited. I had my truck for less than a week and put on about 900km when the service engine light came on then shortly afterwards the battery light came on. Took it to the closest dealership on the very next Monday and it has been there now for close to 4 weeks waiting on a replacement etorque generator. Basically they tell me that it needs to be replaced because it’s not charging the 12v battery. I escalated the case with Chrysler Canada at the advise of the dealership and they have no idea when the replacement part will be available. I find it hard to believe that Ram are building new trucks on a daily basis and have no idea when replacement parts will be available for existing customers.... in my opinion Chrysler needs to look after their existing customer before potential new ones. This is my 4th ram truck and I have loved them all but this experience has left me less than impressed and I’m not sure if I’ll by another one. I had a 2014, 2016 and 2018 limited all with the Hemi and had very little issues with any of them. My 2020 at $100K Canadian is now sitting at the dealership with no solution in sight and no one within Chrysler Canada seem to care or have any idea when it might be fixed. At least they are covering the cost of a rental.... I hope that those who have had this issue and their trucks have been fixed that the problem didn’t come back or any other problems related to the etorque system.
I spoke with my local dealership last Friday and they told me that was going to have to wait until mid to late Dec before the part would be available and shipped to them. I didn’t have much faith in that information so I decided to have my truck towed (at my expense) from the local dealership to where I have bought my last 4 trucks from. Thankfully the owner of this dealership appreciated my business and made arrangements to pull a new etorque generator off of one of his brand new 2020’s that he has on his lot for sale. They weren’t able to look at my truck by the time I got it there late Friday but they did look at it first thing on Monday. They swapped out the etorque generator Monday afternoon and I was able to pick it up late Monday evening. I’ve since put on about 350km’s and it appears to working perfectly now. I have been told that as of lasy Friday there were 130+ trucks in North America that are waiting for new etorque generators and that zero (0) units were currently available. When I asked why; the answer I got lead me to believe that RAM had changed the part number which I’ve been told means that they changed something with the design. Assuming they identified an issue with the original design and were now in the process of manufacturing new ones that likely fix the problem. I’m not sure if this is the very early start of a recall or not but only time will tell. Fingers crossed that all will continue to work perfectly with my 2020.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
A bit scary for Cdn owners at this time. Nice that your dealer helped you out, you should consider giving him props on the forum.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I spoke with my local dealership last Friday and they told me that was going to have to wait until mid to late Dec before the part would be available and shipped to them. I didn’t have much faith in that information so I decided to have my truck towed (at my expense) from the local dealership to where I have bought my last 4 trucks from. Thankfully the owner of this dealership appreciated my business and made arrangements to pull a new etorque generator off of one of his brand new 2020’s that he has on his lot for sale. They weren’t able to look at my truck by the time I got it there late Friday but they did look at it first thing on Monday. They swapped out the etorque generator Monday afternoon and I was able to pick it up late Monday evening. I’ve since put on about 350km’s and it appears to working perfectly now. I have been told that as of lasy Friday there were 130+ trucks in North America that are waiting for new etorque generators and that zero (0) units were currently available. When I asked why; the answer I got lead me to believe that RAM had changed the part number which I’ve been told means that they changed something with the design. Assuming they identified an issue with the original design and were now in the process of manufacturing new ones that likely fix the problem. I’m not sure if this is the very early start of a recall or not but only time will tell. Fingers crossed that all will continue to work perfectly with my 2020.

Now THATS a dealer I would stick with. Top notch customer service.

skracus

Reaction score
Yikes! Hoping the eTorque flu doesn't hit my 2020 Limited!:sick:

Dan Baynton

Reaction score
A bit scary for Cdn owners at this time. Nice that your dealer helped you out, you should consider giving him props on the forum.
Kawartha Chrysler in Peterbourough, Ontario, Canada is the dealership that I’ve been dealing with since I bought my 2014 and three other trucks since then. These guys have been great to deal with and they are the ones that got my truck fixed up. Contact Jason in sales or Ian or Ed in service. Great customer service! Can’t say enough about these guys.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If they were not in another country I would seriously think about driving there for sales and service. Dealers in general are pathetic, and a few are outright thieves. Finding a good dealer in Michigan for any brand is darn near impossible. Often the service manager is great, but the sales side is not, or the other way around. Find a hands on owner who wants to do the right thing by his/her customers and grow their business. Hard to be hands on from a golf course in Florida.
Our Canadian members likely have gotten or will get crap from the border agent when they cross back over if they get work done that is not warranty... little things like optional non-emergency service work, new parts etc are sometimes "duty-able" and depending on the border crossing and the officer, they can be sent in to pay for it.
Canada is actually quite strict about that sort of thing. The actual regs they have to observe can be quite confusing, here's a sample:

Begin copied portion of regulation:
Reporting and Summary Accounting of Vehicle Repairs by Highway Carriers
Memorandum D8-4-2

ISSN 2369-2391

Ottawa, February 15, 2017

Guidelines and General Information
1. Paragraph 12(3)(b) of the Customs Act requires that all repairs to vehicles performed outside Canada must be reported by the drivers to the nearest Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) office when these vehicles are returned to Canada. Paragraph 32(1)(a) of the Customs Act requires highway carriers to account for repairs to their vehicles performed outside Canada when these vehicles are returned to Canada. Highway carriers can obtain authorization to account for such repairs on a quarterly basis.

2. All highway vehicles that are exported and then returned to Canada without being repaired, altered in condition or advanced in value by any process are customs duty-free when classified under tariff item No. 9813.00.00 or 9814.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff.

3. Highway vehicles that are repaired after being exported from Canada are subject to duty and taxes, including the Goods and Services Tax (GST), on their full value for duty when they return to Canada, unless they meet the conditions of one of the following pieces of legislation:
4. Under certain conditions, vehicles repaired in a non-free-trade partner country may be re-imported under paragraph 101(1)(a) of the Customs Tariff Act. The vehicle is customs duty free, but duties and taxes, including the GST, are payable on the value of the repairs performed abroad. To qualify for paragraph 101(1)(a) of the Customs Tariff Act, the carrier must be prepared to provide proof that the vehicle was exported, was imported back into Canada within one year after leaving Canada, and the repairs performed on the vehicle could not have been done in Canada within a reasonable distance from the operating area of the carrier.

5. Subsection 101(2) of the Customs Tariff Act grants relief from duties and taxes owing, including the GST, on both the vehicle and the value of emergency repairs done outside Canada, whether or not the emergency repairs are performed in a free-trade partner country. Further information about emergency repairs can be found in Memorandum D8-1-1, Administration of Temporary Importation (Tariff Item No. 9993.00.00) Regulations.

6. Under tariff item No. 9992.00.00, vehicles repaired in a free-trade partner country are customs duty-free. The value of the repairs is not subject to customs duties, but, unless the repairs are performed under a warranty arrangement, the value of the repairs is subject to the GST.

End of copied portion

Now mind you, all this can change anytime depending on if the US is a "free-trade partner" or if the 2 countries are in a pissin' match over something (like lumber, dairy, eggs). This is not meant to say what a Cdn can or cannot get done in the US... blah blah blah

brewdad

Reaction score
This is why one should buy from the dealer where the truck will be serviced, even if it means paying more for your truck; I was service advisor/warranty administrator at a FCA dealership after my Army retirement and if a customer bought from us and a part was not available, we would remove the needed part from a new unit in stock and install on our customers vehicle.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
This is why one should buy from the dealer where the truck will be serviced, even if it means paying more for your truck; I was service advisor/warranty administrator at a FCA dealership after my Army retirement and if a customer bought from us and a part was not available, we would remove the needed part from a new unit in stock and install on our customers vehicle.
Buying from a dealer where you intend to request service doesn't guarantee you anything. I've had great service and terrible service from same. I buy where I get the best deal.

brewdad

Reaction score
I forgot to mention this---when I retired a second time in 2011, only the selling dealer was required by law to perform warranty work according to our service manager; don't know if the law has changed since then.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I forgot to mention this---when I retired a second time in 2011, only the selling dealer was required by law to perform warranty work according to our service manager; don't know if the law has changed since then.
That's never been correct.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Have a 2019 with ET no issues what so ever 15000 miles and 10 months old.
Thats great. These failures aren’t that frequent but they seem to be kinda’ long duration and render the vehicle undrivable when they do go down due to parts availability.

Users who are viewing this thread