5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EPA Releases Fuel Economy Ratings For Hurricane Twin-Turbo Grand Wagoneer!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

EPA Releases Fuel Economy Ratings For Hurricane Twin-Turbo Grand Wagoneer!​

More Power, Not So Much Better Fuel Economy...​

1652143824808.png

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has released its official fuel economy numbers for the 2022 Jeep® Grand Wagoneer (WS) equipped with the all-new 3.0-liter (Hurricane) Twin-Turbo 510 inline-six-engine. As the first Stellantis equipped with the all-new Hurricane engine lineup, we have been curious to see how the new Hurricane stacks up against the HEMI engine lineup (which it might eventually replace).

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's actually not surprising.
Gasoline has a certain amount of stored energy, and getting a certain output is going to require pretty close to the same input.

Off peak the smaller displacement should outperform a larger displacement, but at peak power they all gobble fuel like a fat kid on Halloween.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Still feels disappointing. It seems like a missed opportunity to be ahead of the pack in two ways: 1) they didn’t make mpg of the non-h.o. mid-20’s, and 2) there’s not hurricane hybrid.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Surprise, Surprise

All that with no better gas mileage and the mighty roar of a six banger to boot. What a deal. 🤨

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn't really add up IMO. They spend who knows how much developing these new I6 engines to improve CAFE, and get almost nothing out of it? The 6.4 HEMI is over a decade old - beating its efficiency should've been pretty doable. Regardless of that, I understand every MPG counts on mass produced vehicles, but throwing a 6 banger in a $100K+ vehicle seems idiotic - let the V8 die on that hill, not right out the gate.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Surprise, Surprise

All that with no better gas mileage and the mighty roar of a six banger to boot. What a deal. 🤨

Well, I mean it has quite a bit more power than the 6.4L Hemi while still get a bit more mpg.

I mean that would make the HO version a significant improvement compared to the 5.7L Hemi in terms of power, though not sure it's mpg in a RAM 1500 compared to the 5.7L.

We don't know how it sounds yet, though I suspect it won't sound as good as the V8, but quite a bit more power than a 6.4L V8 while still getting better mpg, seems like a worthy trade-off.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Doesn't really add up IMO. They spend who knows how much developing these new I6 engines to improve CAFE, and get almost nothing out of it? The 6.4 HEMI is over a decade old - beating its efficiency should've been pretty doable. Regardless of that, I understand every MPG counts on mass produced vehicles, but throwing a 6 banger in a $100K+ vehicle seems idiotic - let the V8 die on that hill, not right out the gate.

It's not really the CAFE numbers based on what Stellantis is saying, it's based off the CO2 numbers for future emission targets, which is substantially better with the I6 motor. The older generation V8s not meeting future emissions greenhouse targets is the problem they have that the 3.0L is supposed to help fix.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
The reported numbers are also on premium gas. I wonder if all Hurricane twin turbo engines will call for premium.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Still feels disappointing. It seems like a missed opportunity to be ahead of the pack in two ways: 1) they didn’t make mpg of the non-h.o. mid-20’s, and 2) there’s not hurricane hybrid.
Agreed on that second point. I'd actually prefer a dual (or more) motor EV with a range-extending IC (or hydrogen) generator, but a TT V6 hybrid would be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread