5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine tick upon starting since new

Bpiet378

Reaction score
I’ve had a 2019 Bighorn with the 5.7 for about three weeks now and the other day was the first time starting it with my window down. Within a few seconds of start up I can hear some light ticking and a slight metallic clang coming from the front end and somewhat lower in the engine bay. Happens every time I start it up. Is this normal?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve had a 2019 Bighorn with the 5.7 for about three weeks now and the other day was the first time starting it with my window down. Within a few seconds of start up I can hear some light ticking and a slight metallic clang coming from the front end and somewhat lower in the engine bay. Happens every time I start it up. Is this normal?
Yep. Normal for the Hemi. Every truck I’ve seen does this (mine included).

Last edited:

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Scared me to death from the moment I left the lot with my newly built BigHorn (drove it off AFTER the dealership had closed and the salesperson locked up). Turns out it is inherent to the vehicle. Clicks in the same rhythm maybe 7 times every time I turn the truck on. I have 800 miles on the dash.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok I will be the one to ask, as I am new to Hemi. What is happening to cause the noise?

Bpiet378

Reaction score
So does anyone recommend any additives then?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Spend ten minutes reading that Challenger forum post. The guy claiming to know the solution sells the product. How convenient. There is no problem. You will put 50,000 miles on that truck and still hear it and still have no problem. Enjoy your ride.
^^^ This ^^^

It's part of the Hemi "personality". Just enjoy your truck and don't worry about it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a good explanation:

Cheers,
You're joking, right?! That was a snake oil pitch! The conclusion of 7 pages of that thread...nobody knows why a modern HEMI (and only the HEMI, not V8s from the competition) has this unique tick.

EDIT: OK, good...you were joking :)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
You're joking, right?! That was a snake oil pitch! The conclusion of 7 pages of that thread...nobody knows why a modern HEMI (and only the HEMI, not V8s from the competition) has this unique tick.

EDIT: OK, good...you were joking :)
Yep That's my point. Draw your own conclusions.
I'm not worried. Every HEMI I've known does this and they will all probably outlast their owners.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not worried. Every HEMI I've known does this and they will all probably outlast their owners.
Great...I
Great...I can see another “catch can thread” starting here. :love:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My Ford Edge 3.5 has a definite tick/click at idle, all the time. Is it really a hemi? I’ve heard of RAM powered Fords (diesels) maybe I got the experimental detuned hemi powered Ford...
Wait, maybe it’s my hearing aids or pacemaker... I should remove one at a time to see what it is. :unsure:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My Ford Edge 3.5 has a definite tick/click at idle, all the time. Is it really a hemi? I’ve heard of RAM powered Fords (diesels) maybe I got the experimental detuned hemi powered Ford...
Wait, maybe it’s my hearing aids or pacemaker... I should remove one at a time to see what it is. :unsure:
I hear Teslas have the tick as well... :oops:

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does it too. Normal for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread