5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engage auto parking brake

cbadge

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 bighorn

I've been manually engaging the auto parking brake by using the button each time I park.

When I reverse it's automatically releasing as long as my seatbelt is on.

What do I need to do in order to get it to automatically engage when I put the vehicle in Park?

Thanks for the help!

Wheeler

Reaction score
Option in you setting brake system on u connect. I won't set auto parking brake since only used on downhill parking situations. My experience with auto parking brake not too good with previous vehicles. After certain cycles it start acting up so only use when necessary

Bearman95

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 bighorn

I've been manually engaging the auto parking brake by using the button each time I park.

When I reverse it's automatically releasing as long as my seatbelt is on.

What do I need to do in order to get it to automatically engage when I put the vehicle in Park?

Thanks for the help!
You can go into the settings if you have an 8.4 alpine radio system and set it to come on and off automatically!

aametzger

Reaction score
I use this feature too. No issues so far, but I only have 3800 miles, so I'm not a good example of a long use case. It took me a bit to realize that you have to have your seat belt fastened for it to auto-release when engaging the gear. One benefit I like is it prevents the truck from rolling forward (or backward) a few inches when you release the foot brake after putting the truck in park. This helps if I am in a tight parking space and have pulled pretty close nose to nose to another vehicle.

embo_9

Reaction score
I use this feature too. No issues so far, but I only have 3800 miles, so I'm not a good example of a long use case. It took me a bit to realize that you have to have your seat belt fastened for it to auto-release when engaging the gear. One benefit I like is it prevents the truck from rolling forward (or backward) a few inches when you release the foot brake after putting the truck in park. This helps if I am in a tight parking space and have pulled pretty close nose to nose to another vehicle.
So is there a particular sequence one needs to do to get it to disengage? Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. Thanks.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the auto parking brake all the time with no problems. If I jump in on the farm and don't want the seat belt on, I just hit the release with my foot on the brake, and drive off.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So is there a particular sequence one needs to do to get it to disengage? Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. Thanks.
The trick is to click on your seatbelt. If you put it drive without fastening belt, brake will not release automatically until you do.

aametzger

Reaction score
As others have stated, it's all tied to your seatbelt being fastened. Since this post, I identified that once you fasten your seatbelt after you already selected a drive gear, it will release the brake when you press the gas pedal. Before, if I had already selected reverse and the parking brake was engaged, I would fasten my seatbelt and switch it to park and then back to reverse and the parking brake would release. The main difference if you put your seatbelt on before engaging the gear is that it will immediately turn off the parking brake when you select a gear. If you fasten after you selected the gear, I believe the parking brake light stays on until you give it gas. There is also a slight hesitation when you hit the gas for it to turn off the parking brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online