5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enclosed cargo trailer

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
I need to buy a trailer. Primarily for moving but also for other stuff.

I'm looking at 20' or 24' trailers. Nothing over 7k lbs. Just wondering if the 24' is going to be overkill for my application.

The official tow rating for my truck is around 8,200 lbs. Not sure right off hand what the tongue weight is supposed to be though.

I'm leaning towards the 24' for a little extra space but it seems like the extra tongue weight might be a bit much.

Price being basically equal in my situation? Any feedback?

redneck2

Reaction score
24' cargo trailer is huge the cross wind will blow the truck all over. i pull a 16 foot v nose it is 3000 lb empty & 6000 full it plows thru the wind ok at 80 mph but the cross winds will blow you in the other lane if you are not carefull

kittyjo

Reaction score
I’m in the same group looking at 24ft aluminum which will save a 1100lb when empty. Question do I need to add airbags if I’m gonna be pushing max weight? Have 3.21 gears

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
I am thinking 20' is the safer bet. I'm moving about 800 miles away. I just want enough space to not have to leave top much in storage for the 2nd trip later. There will definitely be moves in the future too.

A u-haul for my move would be about $2600 + fuel. Needing to make two trips means about $5k, so I figure might as well just buy a trailer.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I pull a legend v-nose all aluminum 7x17 trailer with my rebel eco diesel with ease. I find loaded or unloaded it doesn’t make much different on fuel economy, most of my driving is highway and these things are like dragging a wall behind you, especially if you get one with the extra height.

I would recommend a weight distribution hitch with anti sway capabilities if your going to go over 20ft, the wind really affects these trailers when they are empty.

redneck2

Reaction score
yes^^ mine is a 7x16 v nose that is 6.8 inside so about 9' hi off the pavement & the wind resistance is a killer on mpg. you aint going to get a good 20' trailer for 5k better figure 8k. unless you get the cheep unsafe ones built with c-channel on 24" centers & 3/8 plywood walls. i went with express trailers as my first one lasted 24years before it rusted out. entire frame is 2x6 sq tube ,aluminum rims & radial trailer tires not car tires as alot of trailer manf use

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
I'm definitely expecting more like $8k. I just meant if I was spending $5k on a rental I might as well put that toward one I didn't have to give back.

I've found a used 2016 8.5' x 24' for $7800 locally and a new 20' for $7500. So not much difference in price between the two and the used one hasn't had a ton of use. Pretty clean.

They're hard to find these days. If I hear back from the credit union tomorrow I'll probably grab the 20' before it disappears. I'd kinda rather have a new one. But we'll see.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other than more crosswind sensitivity, and less maneuverability, length isn’t the limiting factor. Weight and weight distribution will be your towing limiting factors, and wind resistance will impact mileage.

Get a really good WDH with anti-sway, make sure you’re load total is under 8200 or so, drive with care, and you’ll be fine with the 20’ or 24...

I pull a Neo 7x16 aluminum (purchased like u for a move, that’s currently a shed), great trailer, at 6k gross, pulled beautifully. If you’re used to pulling a TT, remember that 7’ wide and up cargo trailers are actually wider than travel trailers...

ps - first thing to do with used trailers is check the brakes. Second is to grease the bearings (who knows what maint the previous owner did...). And on new (or used), check the tires. I always replace the cheap imported crap the OEMs use with Goodyear Endurance, one load rating up.

Last edited:

TheGoogleNinja

Reaction score
A little update to this thread. I ended up getting a new 20' x 8.5' Wells Cargo. A few days later I was on the road for the maiden voyage from Utah to Arizona and back. There will be one more long trip, beyond that it'll probably only get used for shorter trips.

I have the 3.21 gears and it pulled it just fine. That said, it got heinous fuel economy, averaging about 8 mpg for the trip. The biggest factor was the wind and sway. The trip down, unloaded felt a little sketchy, but by the time I got home I had basically figured out it was pretty much just me and my nerves. It handled the wind better when loaded, of course.

I have the one more long trip to make and I am thinking I should probably add some sort of a sway control device before then.

20210312_162640.jpg

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A little update to this thread. I ended up getting a new 20' x 8.5' Wells Cargo. A few days later I was on the road for the maiden voyage from Utah to Arizona and back. There will be one more long trip, beyond that it'll probably only get used for shorter trips.

I have the 3.21 gears and it pulled it just fine. That said, it got heinous fuel economy, averaging about 8 mpg for the trip. The biggest factor was the wind and sway. The trip down, unloaded felt a little sketchy, but by the time I got home I had basically figured out it was pretty much just me and my nerves. It handled the wind better when loaded, of course.

I have the one more long trip to make and I am thinking I should probably add some sort of a sway control device before then.

View attachment 88405
Nice trailer!! Jealous...
From now on, don‘t pull it without a anti-sway WDH....best investment you will make.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice trailer!

WDH with sway will make a world of difference. I tow a 20x8.5 enclosed, ext 5.5' Vnose, and once loaded, it's basically untowable without one.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I towed a 7x16 V nose and in a severe cross wind it was all over. It's just a giant sheet in the wind, not much you can do with it. I'm sure with a WDH or anti sway it would be world's better.

Whodeysrt

Reaction score
Picked this up about 3 months ago...24’....tows good with sway Bar setup...3400lbs empty....used mainly to tow my 2 Challengers to shows and track ...and the golf carts around

Attachments

• 3F8DC2BB-3BD8-4934-8226-8803FB0AA23B.jpeg
    3F8DC2BB-3BD8-4934-8226-8803FB0AA23B.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 59

kittyjo

Reaction score
Picked this up about 3 months ago...24’....tows good with sway Bar setup...3400lbs empty....used mainly to tow my 2 Challengers to shows and track ...and the golf carts around
Good looking trailer!! What brand is that?

kittyjo

Reaction score
Looking to get a 24ft enclosed aluminum trailer for starting my own business any good decent brand recommendations? Thanks

kittyjo

Reaction score
Which is for better travel on axel torsion or spring? I’m new to this stuff I know I’m going 24ft aluminum just not sure about the suspension and axle thanks

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have torsion axles on my trailer and it rides very smooth. They are not serviceable like a regular leaf spring suspension, if you have any issues the axle itself will need to be replaced. A torsion axle equipped trailer will usually sit lower than a leaf spring trailer aswell requiring you to use a hitch with significant drop when towing to keep the trailer level. I use a 6” drop hitch on my rebel.

I would recommend dexter easy lube axles with whichever suspension setup you choose. I’ve put 20-25000km on my trailer loaded as heavy as 6500 lbs and my wheel bearings are as smooth and tight as day one.

Trailers aren’t built to the same standards a car or truck is built so don’t be surprised if you discover a few issues or it seems like they cheaped out on a thing or two in the trailer. Tires are the first thing I’d recommend upgrading for piece of mind, stock tires are usually cheaply made.

Users who are viewing this thread