5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electric parking brake issues

CO19Laramie

Reaction score
I have a 19 Laramie and I was out getting some groceries and when I tried to leave the store the electric parking brake would not disengage.
I always set the parking brake and this thing is strong and there was no way the truck was moving with the brake engaged.
I have 24k miles on the truck and was extremely frustrated since it meant a call to road side assistance and a tow to the dealership.
Well after 45 minutes on the phone with FCA and the dealer and 20 some attempts the brake agreed to disengage.
My question to all of you is this a common known problem?
Is there a way to manually disengage the brake?
Anything I can to avoid the issue? Yes I know not setting the brake keeps this from happening, but I was taught to always set the brake to avoid binding the transmission.

For now I've taped over the brake to avoid using it until I can get it looked at.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far that's one of my biggest concerns - it's been noted in another thread that there's no emergency parking-brake release. So if the truck needs to be towed with a locked parking-brake, it'll need dollys or drug along to get up on a flatbed.

I happen to use the auto-parking brake feature which only disengages automatically when the seatbelt is secured / foot on brake pedal / shifted out of park. There's days that I flip from P to Drive while I'm belting up and it doesn't release that certainly make me wince

CO19Laramie

Reaction score
So far that's one of my biggest concerns - it's been noted in another thread that there's no emergency parking-brake release. So if the truck needs to be towed with a locked parking-brake, it'll need dollys or drug along to get up on a flatbed.

I happen to use the auto-parking brake feature which only disengages automatically when the seatbelt is secured / foot on brake pedal / shifted out of park. There's days that I flip from P to Drive while I'm belting up and it doesn't release that certainly make me wince
That is just a silly safety feature, but I have had the same reaction.
I wonder if I need to carry a spare relay or something?
I'll post back in the thread when the dealer takes a look and tells me what the issue was.
The real odd this was there are no message in the message center. You'd think it would pop in a message saying something was real unhappy.

GAscooter

Reaction score
I believe this is the manual parking brake release.

Attachments

• CD0195B8-20C0-431E-9F57-2CF332EB6CE8.jpeg
    CD0195B8-20C0-431E-9F57-2CF332EB6CE8.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 257

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe this is the manual parking brake release.
That is the park release for the transmission, not the parking (emergency) brake.
see pages 470-472 in the fifth edition 2019 RAM Owners manual.

Eletrinic Parking brake Operation and possible faults start on page 294 thru page 298.

Last edited:

CO19Laramie

Reaction score
That is the park release for the transmission, not the parking (emergency) brake.
see pages 470-472 in the fifth edition 2019 RAM Owners manual.
Good information to have even if it was the transmission park release. After taking the truck in for a recall, it would not start and I was wondering if there was a way to get it out of park when it would not start.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps anyone or not...I don't normally use the EPB

One stupid question...did you have your seatbelt fastened?

CO19Laramie

Reaction score
I did and it should release with the handle regardless. The auto release requires the seatbelt the handle does not.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I added what info I had from the service manual

Thanks for that! Any chance your service manual has a removal / replacement of the EPB system section? I'd like to know if the rear calipers are mechanically or hydraulically actuated by the EPB system. Depending on that, there could be a way to override the EPB from under the truck in a worst-case scenario

CO19Laramie

Reaction score
This is what is on the service manifest when I took it to the dealer. I'm not really happy since I am not confident it just won't happen again because nothing was replaced.

"Found ABS DTC C10D0-9A Electronic Parking Break module component or system operating condition stored. Verified
Correction:
Cleared DTC then performed electronic parking break initialization procedure cycled ignition. DTC did not return. Verefied peoper operation of vehicle electronic parking break. Vehicle operates as designed at this point in time"

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"Found ABS DTC C10D0-9A Electronic Parking Break module component or system operating condition stored.

Thanks for updating and posting that!

Any Mopar Techs available to chime in on how an ABS code on a parked sensor could trigger parking brake lockout?

Still looking for the parking brake system exploded diagram to see if there's a mechanical override / field disassembly method should one get stuck out in the middle of nowhere

CO19Laramie

Reaction score
Thanks for updating and posting that!

Any Mopar Techs available to chime in on how an ABS code on a parked sensor could trigger parking brake lockout?

Still looking for the parking brake system exploded diagram to see if there's a mechanical override / field disassembly method should one get stuck out in the middle of nowhere
I'd really like to know if there is a way to manually disengage this as well.
I got stuck and was not thrilled about having to get towed just because my e-brake was stuck.

R

Rob5589

Our Sorento just had that happen. Had to be towed to dealer. Found out it was a recall item. Not a fan of the electric parking brakes, at all. There really needs to be a manual override for that exact reason. In the future when I am out in the boonies, leaving that thing turned OFF.

U

User_21361

This just happened to me today. Based on the error message in the driver's console, the truck thought I was pressing and holding the switch. I tried pulling the wire for the switch to see if that would reset everything, but it didn’t. I ended up pulling the battery cable (Leatherman to the rescue) to see if the system would reset which did work. It’s extremely annoying that now my apps are screwed up for the next few hours while everything resets. Glad to not be towing or stuck in a parking lot though.

Just wanted to report what worked for me in case someone else runs into the same issue.

1610749514440.png

Frank142

Reaction score
I have a 19 Laramie and I was out getting some groceries and when I tried to leave the store the electric parking brake would not disengage.
I always set the parking brake and this thing is strong and there was no way the truck was moving with the brake engaged.
I have 24k miles on the truck and was extremely frustrated since it meant a call to road side assistance and a tow to the dealership.
Well after 45 minutes on the phone with FCA and the dealer and 20 some attempts the brake agreed to disengage.
My question to all of you is this a common known problem?
Is there a way to manually disengage the brake?
Anything I can to avoid the issue? Yes I know not setting the brake keeps this from happening, but I was taught to always set the brake to avoid binding the transmission.

For now I've taped over the brake to avoid using it until I can get it looked a

Frank142

Reaction score
I carry a 12mm wrench to disconnect the battery then reconnect then all was good. I had the sam problem truck goes in gear but break stayed on.

theRamguy

Reaction score
Just had mine towed to the dealership for this issue. lets hope it gets fixed soon.

Users who are viewing this thread