5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edmunds Towing an Airstream

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review of the towing features and capability of the new Ram:

Good video, sounds like the truck handled well. Rams have been very good at grade braking since the introduction of the 8 speed, sounds like that hasn't changed at all. I look forward to what else they do with it in the future.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The grand cherokee is another tow rig that impresses me when I see them towing.

What is the specs on that setup @YoAdrian
My TV is a 2015 JGC 4x4 Overland Ecodiesel which gives you a 7200 tow rating. I had a receiver brace welded to the frame by Can-Am RV increasing the tongue weight capacity since I tow a little front heavy with solar panels and batteries. When I weighed I was close to but still under axle and vehicle ratings.

The trailer is a 2008 27FB Safari SE, which is very much like a Flying Cloud. We don’t pack much and keep the weight under limits. The picture was from when we first picked up the trailer so the hitch had not been adjusted. It’s all leveled out and balanced with the WD setup now.

Although within limits I still drove her easy to prevent additional stress and heat which you still need to do even with the full tow package. I was cruising out of town on level terrain at 55mph when my Ecodiesel went out requiring replacement, so besides wanting to change to a different engine for reliability, I decided to buy “more tow vehicle” because we LOVE the trailer. I would feel confident with a JGC Hemi combo with this setup though as long as I didn’t expect it to race up the Ike Gauntlet or anything. Regardless that video back there got us pumped up about towing and camping!

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Just noticed that there was some confusion with some folks having the hitch line in the center of the rear guidelines, while others couldn't find that in their trucks.

The long term test vehicle from Edmunds doesn't have it either.. I wonder if it is only available in the higher trims?

4midlife

Reaction score
Great review of the towing features and capability of the new Ram:

I wish he would have discussed what his payload rating was on the truck and how that compared to his cargo and Tongue weight. Based on what the truck looks like it probably doesn't have a payload of more than 1350-1400 lbs.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He also mentions the 55 mph speed limit for towing.

It is amazing the amount of research that goes into towing a travel trailer...and I figure very few people do it

We are planning a multistate trip here in the future and I was pretty surprised how much the rules are different in each state.

I am really impressed how well the Ram tows. I too wish he would have spent some time on payload.

Users who are viewing this thread