5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edmunds 2019 Sierra Denali first drive

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well Ram's my favorite too hence my order. A few opinions on the Denali:

LOVE the running board for bed access. That's hot - had not seen it before. Also love the rear view camera built into the mirror. If they have a way to pickup other cameras, like rear of trailer mounted, that's a clear winner.

And then we get into the what were they thinking area. That dash looks like a 2008 rental car. Did you notice the floor mats? Those are the cheapest possible mats they could throw in. I also do not like the beltline at the back of the rear windows. The way it curves up really reminds me of a Colorado and I'm sure they don't want that kind of association with a vaunted Denali.
The tailgate looks maybe interesting but a little gimicky. Interested to see how they sell.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
GMC and Silverado Interior.. man... once you see RAM the rest really do look so ugly.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOVE the running board for bed access. That's hot - had not seen it before.
I do agree with the kick switch board functionality, and they've had that for years. The tradeoff is that they don't "hide" when they are folded like the Ram or Ford.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do agree with the kick switch board functionality, and they've had that for years. The tradeoff is that they don't "hide" when they are folded like the Ram or Ford.
Ahh, thanks for pointing that out. That will put an end to any delusion of mounting them on my Ram. ;)

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I agree, I like the idea in theory, except for the fact that they don't hide well as you said. I'm still indifferent on the tailgate, still don't like the rest of the truck much. I actually saw this 0-60 video yesterday and while I previously was of the impression that the 6.2 would be a beast I'm not sure if it's just me but this doesn't look much quicker than the Hemi.

Also that guage cluster looks so 80's GM full size car to me its not even funny. (The analog part of course)

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, I like the idea in theory, except for the fact that they don't hide well as you said. I'm still indifferent on the tailgate, still don't like the rest of the truck much. I actually saw this 0-60 video yesterday and while I previously was of the impression that the 6.2 would be a beast I'm not sure if it's just me but this doesn't look much quicker than the Hemi.

Also that guage cluster looks so 80's GM full size car to me its not even funny. (The analog part of course)

You are spot on in regards to the gauges. I'm thinking Caprice when I see them.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I just can't get over how terribly bland, boring, and downmarket that interior is for a $67k truck!

I actually like how the exterior looks (I thought the previous gen was one of the best looking trucks), the multipro tailgate looks pretty nifty, and I really like the running board thing.

However, given that I'd spend 90% of my time actually inside the truck, that cab is a hard no for me.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's exactly what I think too.

Now to be fair, I don't love the font that Ram uses on either Limited or Longhorn gauges. I just dismiss it as "nothing's perfect" since I overall love the Ram interior.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Now to be fair, I don't love the font that Ram uses on either Limited or Longhorn gauges. I just dismiss it as "nothing's perfect" since I overall love the Ram interior.

I really like the Limited and Rebel font, but I'm not a fan of the fonts on the gauges on other trims. That said I think the cluster is a nice design and well laid out.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like the Limited and Rebel font, but I'm not a fan of the fonts on the gauges on other trims. That said I think the cluster is a nice design and well laid out.

Yes, definitely well laid out.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I actually saw this 0-60 video yesterday and while I previously was of the impression that the 6.2 would be a beast I'm not sure if it's just me but this doesn't look much quicker than the Hemi.
That's one (the only?) area where there's no doubt about the GMC, in my opinion. It's a great motor.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
"The difference in powertrains is also rather shocking in that there doesn't seem to be much of a performance difference between the V-8 engines when you have an empty truck. The 5.3-liter V-8 in the SLT was punchy, smooth and never lacked for grunt. It makes 355 horsepower and 383 pounds-feet of torque, and it's mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission driving all four wheels through an optional automatic four-wheel-drive system with low range. This is also the standard powertrain for the Denali, but you can option up to something bigger if you want: the 6.2-liter V-8 pumping out 420 hp and 460 pounds-feet of torque. It's mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission, again driving all four wheels through an optional four-wheel-drive system (though it should be noted that you can also opt for the 6.2-liter V-8 in the SLT trim if you so choose)."

"Inside, however, I expected more from the Sierra, especially in the expensive Denali trim. The latest Sierra does little to move the bar for interior quality or luxury, and while luxury may not be terribly important on the Silverado, it's a key factor for the GMC Sierra. For many pickup owners, the quality of the leather or the fluidity of the switches or the gaps and fitment of the doors and panels on the interior are secondary to the truck's capabilities and durability — but when we're now talking about a $70,000 pickup billed as a premium model, you have to deliver the goods.

Sadly, the Sierra Denali doesn't move the needle at all from the previous-generation truck's interior appointments or choice of materials. GMC describes the Denali's trim-exclusive leather hides as both luxurious and durable instead of soft and supple — "professional grade," which is frankly not an appealing descriptor of an expensive leather interior. We can rejoice in the fact that the steering wheel is now centered on the driver seat (unlike the previous generation). But in what is most likely a cost-cutting move, GM has removed height-adjustable shoulder belts from the interior. When it comes to premium feel and luxuriousness, the new Sierra simply doesn't meet the bar set by the new 2019 Ram 1500 Limited or the latest Ford F-150 Limited, both of which feature cabin environments that are far more plush, with much nicer quality wood, authentic-looking metal trim and overall designs that look more up-to-date."

I mentioned in the video above that the 6.2 didn't look too quick to me. I wonder if the 10 speed slowed it down like it did with the 2.7 EcoBoost F150. The fact that they said there wasn't much performance difference between the 5.3 and 6.2 is a little telling. I don't think the 5.3 got much faster and reviews of the previous truck with the 6.2 always noted how it was a powerhouse where here they're saying it's not a big difference between either. Interior got a similar review to what we have been seeing as well.

Check out the full review from pickuptrucks.com here.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
"The difference in powertrains is also rather shocking in that there doesn't seem to be much of a performance difference between the V-8 engines when you have an empty truck. The 5.3-liter V-8 in the SLT was punchy, smooth and never lacked for grunt. It makes 355 horsepower and 383 pounds-feet of torque, and it's mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission driving all four wheels through an optional automatic four-wheel-drive system with low range. This is also the standard powertrain for the Denali, but you can option up to something bigger if you want: the 6.2-liter V-8 pumping out 420 hp and 460 pounds-feet of torque. It's mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission, again driving all four wheels through an optional four-wheel-drive system (though it should be noted that you can also opt for the 6.2-liter V-8 in the SLT trim if you so choose)."

"Inside, however, I expected more from the Sierra, especially in the expensive Denali trim. The latest Sierra does little to move the bar for interior quality or luxury, and while luxury may not be terribly important on the Silverado, it's a key factor for the GMC Sierra. For many pickup owners, the quality of the leather or the fluidity of the switches or the gaps and fitment of the doors and panels on the interior are secondary to the truck's capabilities and durability — but when we're now talking about a $70,000 pickup billed as a premium model, you have to deliver the goods.

Sadly, the Sierra Denali doesn't move the needle at all from the previous-generation truck's interior appointments or choice of materials. GMC describes the Denali's trim-exclusive leather hides as both luxurious and durable instead of soft and supple — "professional grade," which is frankly not an appealing descriptor of an expensive leather interior. We can rejoice in the fact that the steering wheel is now centered on the driver seat (unlike the previous generation). But in what is most likely a cost-cutting move, GM has removed height-adjustable shoulder belts from the interior. When it comes to premium feel and luxuriousness, the new Sierra simply doesn't meet the bar set by the new 2019 Ram 1500 Limited or the latest Ford F-150 Limited, both of which feature cabin environments that are far more plush, with much nicer quality wood, authentic-looking metal trim and overall designs that look more up-to-date."

I mentioned in the video above that the 6.2 didn't look too quick to me. I wonder if the 10 speed slowed it down like it did with the 2.7 EcoBoost F150. The fact that they said there wasn't much performance difference between the 5.3 and 6.2 is a little telling. I don't think the 5.3 got much faster and reviews of the previous truck with the 6.2 always noted how it was a powerhouse where here they're saying it's not a big difference between either. Interior got a similar review to what we have been seeing as well.

Check out the full review from pickuptrucks.com here.
My "16 out of factory w/ 6.2 was fairly quick, after my cousin and I made some changes it got strong. I do remember reading in a chevy forum about some '17 and "18 owners not as happy with the 6.2. Not sure what could have happened, all 3 years they had the same transmission.
oh yea, the 5.3 I owned before the 6.2 could not tow much with hills, The 6.2 didn't know anything was behind it.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My "16 out of factory w/ 6.2 was fairly quick, after my cousin and I made some changes it got strong. I do remember reading in a chevy forum about some '17 and "18 owners not as happy with the 6.2. Not sure what could have happened, all 3 years they had the same transmission.
oh yea, the 5.3 I owned before the 6.2 could not tow much with hills, The 6.2 didn't know anything was behind it.

I was just having a similar conversation with one of my closest friends the other day. He's a die hard GM guy and owns an 09 Silverado with the 5.3. He said he towed with his truck once and just hated the way the engine had to rev to keep any momentum. As he will be ordering a 2019 Silverado/Sierra and plans on buying a camper I told him that he has to get the 6.2 no matter what which he pretty much agreed that would be the best way to go.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
I was just having a similar conversation with one of my closest friends the other day. He's a die hard GM guy and owns an 09 Silverado with the 5.3. He said he towed with his truck once and just hated the way the engine had to rev to keep any momentum. As he will be ordering a 2019 Silverado/Sierra and plans on buying a camper I told him that he has to get the 6.2 no matter what which he pretty much agreed that would be the best way to go.[/QUOTE

Absolutely, the 6.2 is what GM has going for it, in my opinion.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You would think they would at least put the dash from the Tahoe/Yukon into the higher end models.

Users who are viewing this thread