5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecodiesel worth it if you live in the city?

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
I live and work in Phoenix, so while we have lots of long stretches do highway, I still live in the city, and maybe average 40-60 miles a day between 2-3 different trips a day, so some trips are 11 miles, some are 5, some are 20.

I do take long drives to southern and northern AZ about twice a month.

The engineers on YouTube state that getting an EcoDiesel and living somewhere where you're not driving 80 miles a day is actually bad for the engine. Strange part is I've never seen this issue come up on the forums with any EcoDiesel owner.

Can anyone confirm this? I don't drive 80 plus miles straight a day, and while I love the EcoDiesel (test drove it this weekend), I also want to be smart about my purchase. thank you all

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will be fine, we see trucks driven like that(your mileage) with no issues.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as you get it on the highway and up to temp to cook off the soot in the DPF it'll be fine. It's the short trips that never let the DPF go to regen that cause problems, as well as the EGR system choking the engine. Getting it nice and hot under a load is what is needed to cook it all off.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since it's being phased out, you may have trouble finding one if you wait too long. Not sure you can still order one so you'd be looking at existing inventory. ETA, I see you might be considering the one you actually test drove...

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supposedly they are still taking orders for ED until sometime in January. Might depend on the dealership though, as a couple of members report their dealership says they can't order them anymore.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Supposedly they are still taking orders for ED until sometime in January. Might depend on the dealership though, as a couple of members report their dealership says they can't order them anymore.

I know 2 dealerships here in Wisconsin that will not let me order any Eco diesel right now this last week. Said orders have not opened for the eco. So with that I will be exploring the 3.0 Duramax in line 6. Anymore auto makers is just about as good as the other and they all have their problems with certain products. Just depends on what suits you best I guess and to me service department's is also important.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know 2 dealerships here in Wisconsin that will not me order any Eco diesel right now this last week. Said orders have not opened for the eco. So with that I will be exploring the 3.0 Duramax in line 6. Anymore auto makers is just about as good as the other and they all have their problems with certain products. Just depends on what suits you best I guess and to me service department's is also important.
For real, I know you can't currently order a 3.0 in a 6'4" bed. You can get it in the 5'7" bed.

Just order across the lake in Michigan and call it good.

Last edited:

vitaminz

Reaction score
I have a ‘21 ED andI live in Denver and don’t commute to work, but do have to take the kids on short trips to games and such. I find that the with my OBD App it’s about 8-10 city trips that it will get to 80% soot build up and start to regen. So, yes, I try and take our other car if I haven’t taken a long ED trip in about 8 city trips and then take the ED on a longer trip. It’s a bit of a pain but worth the good mileage and driving dynamics when I do finally take those longer trips.

Fillet1

Reaction score
I picked up a cpo 22 eco Laramie with 7k miles. I drive 26 miles each way to work every day and the beat around town on the weekends. I don’t expect to have any regen issues.

Users who are viewing this thread