5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EcoDiesel Crankshaft target wheel, position sensor question

hunter1234

Reaction score
I have a question related to the new eco diesels. I have a 2016 eco diesels and have just had a recurring issues that I am hoping was addressed in the new design. The issue: Right after the diesel emission recall was done and then the throttle response recall done. I was driving my normal commute (last 12 years, 4 with this truck) and when accelerating on the onramp to the freeway the engine stopped threw all kinds of error codes and I had to coast to the shoulder. Towed it to the dealer and they identified the issue as a defective reluctor (sp)/target/tone (seems everyone has a name for it) wheel. The wheel has a magnetic strip around it and part of it broke off. They fixed it and it worked fine for six months and the in the exact same spot while accelerating it appears to have broke again and I had it towed , it is in the shop this week to verify but they agree it is likely that part. They also had one other eco on the rack for the same issue. This repair should be under warranty (the dealer guarantees parts and labor for two years) and they did give me a loaner so I should have no out of pocket. Talking to the mechanic, and going over the event leading up to the failures, he thought is may be do to the recall on the throttle that may be spooling the turbo up in certain situations throwing torque to the shaft that the wheel can not handle. This issue did not occur for three years of driving that ramp before the recalls.

My question, I just bought a 2020 ecodiesel which is in the build stage now, does anyone know if this issue has been fixed or addressed. I have reviewed the diesel forum and it seems like it was a common issue on the older generation of eco diesels? I like the truck and I have 130,000 miles on it (long work commutes all freeway) and this is the only issue out side of normal maintenance I have had on it. But at $1,700 a fix it is not a cheap issue and I hope not an issue on the new one, the money is one thing, sitting on the freeway for 2-3 hours waiting for a tow at night is not my idea of fun and about 3-4 days in the shop is not a joy.

Users who are viewing this thread