5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eco Mode

19blueram

I have a 2 in mopar lift with 35 inch tires I also have the 3.21 gears. I only see eco mode come on during in town low speed driving Shouldn’t I see it at higher speeds like on freeway speeds ? I know the bigger tires and lower gear ratio affects rpms and stuff it but I wasn’t expecting eco mode in town ? Am I missing something?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With 35s and taller gearing, I’m not surprised at your results. Your truck is working too hard at highway speeds to use MDS.

19blueram

But doesn’t the bigger tires and gear ratio i have lower the rpms ? I guess I’m confused Doesn’t the eco mode work based off of rpms and vehicle speed ? I know the combo I have isn’t the best but since I don’t haul or tow anything I didn’t think it would be a big deal.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But doesn’t the bigger tires and gear ratio i have lower the rpms ? I guess I’m confused Doesn’t the eco mode work based off of rpms and vehicle speed ? I know the combo I have isn’t the best but since I don’t haul or tow anything I didn’t think it would be a big deal.

Eco mode works at certain rpm's under light loads. Regardless of rpm, if the truck is working hard (ex: pushing 6000 lbs at 70 mph with heavier / oversize tires) it's not going to come on.

Have you corrected the speedometer error yet? That may help.

Last edited:

19blueram

I haven’t corrected the Speedo issue I will do that. . But I guess I won’t worry to much about eco mode. The bigger tires look better then the stock factory whimpy ones.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just got my truck yesterday; hopped in, found the gauge for tracking mileage and had a brief heart attack, 16.1 L/100 KM (14.6 MPG). But I was expecting that, sorta, just hits you a little harder when it's in your face :) But as I was driving today in the country and the highway, it just kept dropping and dropping, think I'm around 14 now (17 mpg). The very interesting thing for me though, was that it was really good during highway, instant read out moved around between 8 - 11 (21 - 29 mpg). This is only the computer of course, not hand calc'ed, but at just over 200 km on the gauge so far that hwy mpg looks very promising since that is the majority of my driving and is basically just a tiny bit worse than what my v6 Jeep GC got.

Anyway, I noticed the little ECO light was on a fair amount and that was when I got those good readouts. But this thing has 410 ft/lb of torque, dropping to half gets you 200. Shouldn't that be enough to maintain hwy speed in a truck with only the driver, no passengers, and no payload/trailer? Not complaining, at all, just curious more than anything else. The trick appears to be keeping the pedal movements extremely slow and tiny. I just have to wonder if RAM had offered an "eco button" to click that maybe sacrificed instant power for keeping us longer in eco, maybe requiring a bit more of a jab to wake up into full v8 mode. Seems like that hemi should be more than capable of spending a little longer in 4 cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread