5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eco Mode Vibration

raven_DT

Reaction score
Just developed (@7500 miles) a shutter/harmonics at 1300rpm, ~20mph only in eco mode. Engaged tow/haul mode and it immediately went away. Anyone else run into this issue?

Blueraptor

Reaction score
Just developed (@7500 miles) a shutter/harmonics at 1300rpm, ~20mph only in eco mode. Engaged tow/haul mode and it immediately went away. Anyone else run into this issue?
I have this vibration when in Eco mode too. Does Tow mode turn MDS off?

airgas1998

Reaction score
I've had this from day one.....at around that rpm range....yes tow/haul will eliminate it because the shift point mapping changes...

raven_DT

Reaction score
Is this the exhaust drone that is referenced in a later post? I took mine in to the dealer and they reflashed the truck. No drone for a couple of hundred miles, now its back. Not happy with the drone...

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is this the exhaust drone that is referenced in a later post? I took mine in to the dealer and they reflashed the truck. No drone for a couple of hundred miles, now its back. Not happy with the drone...

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are experiencing, raven_DT. If you plan to address this with your dealer again, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

mgover

Reaction score
Similar problem at 1300- 1500 rpm but mine does it from 10 to 70 mph intermittent and recurring. Just started at 4200 miles. Also noted the tachometer is now very jumpy from 1500- 2000. Tow/haul function on does not seem to improve it. Heading to dealer today. Ram Tradesman 1500, 4x4 5.7 Hemi

kblast523

Reaction score
Similar problem at 1300- 1500 rpm but mine does it from 10 to 70 mph intermittent and recurring. Just started at 4200 miles. Also noted the tachometer is now very jumpy from 1500- 2000. Tow/haul function on does not seem to improve it. Heading to dealer today. Ram Tradesman 1500, 4x4 5.7 Hemi
Mine in shop as I write this. Back in October, finally got it to 'drone' on the service manager's staff, after filing 'Lemon Law' complaint since I've had the truck back to the dealership over 6 times since April. Dealer reflashed ANC and changed the noise from a 300h buzz to a 90-100 hz drone that sounds like a center carrier bearing has failed (doesn't have one). But wait...now we are replacing headliner, right curtain air bag, steering wheel, windshield...all because of service tech neglect. Started with headliner being damaged in Michigan where the vehicle was assembled, now...several months later, by dealer. At last visit the service department dragged something across the steering wheel scratching the leather, left windshield whistling at 60 mph, left sun visor hanging 3" from the ceiling, one of the right side mic's dangling from the headliner, poked a hole in the air curtain and they called it good...that and in changing the oil, spilling oil all over the engine...and just leaving it. I'm ready to go back to Ford....

Dustin1984

Reaction score
Ive experienced this same issue with mine very noticeable in town driving when eco mode engages i feel the vibration in the steering wheel and pedals sounds like a bad wheel bearing. I took it into my local Ram dealer 4 times the did a reflash of the anc and then tried to say its making noise due to a aftermarket mopar exhaust which i looked up and it does not have one its just a normal factory exhaust. The last time i took it there they had it for 2 days and said they cant duplicate the complaint which is bs . I work at a dealership and have compared it to other Ram 1500 same year and engine specs and they drive smooth in and out of eco mode. Very frustrating on a new expensive truck.

Jako

Reaction score
I found the issue with droning just below 1500 RPMs while in the MDS/Eco mode/ANC and particularly noticeable when I had occupants in the rear passenger area or the back seat was loaded with tools and gear. I brought it to the dealership with the back seat loaded and they performed TSB 23-023-19 and all is good. Hope to have better luck than raven DT in post 4.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not had my truck updated but do experience it occasionally, luckily it has not been very bad when it does happen.
The one true way to get rid of it is to search on this forum for how to disconnect the anc mics, that disables the anc system completely.
I may do it at some point but we'll see when that happens...I also have some sound deadening to install in the back of the truck but that will require a full day to work on

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Awood05

Reaction score
I found the issue with droning just below 1500 RPMs while in the MDS/Eco mode/ANC and particularly noticeable when I had occupants in the rear passenger area or the back seat was loaded with tools and gear. I brought it to the dealership with the back seat loaded and they performed TSB 23-023-19 and all is good. Hope to have better luck than raven DT in post 4.
Do you have a copy of this TSB? I’ve searched high and low and can not find it.

Scram1500

Reaction score
A simple fix for this is use the gear selector, and place it in 8th gear. The truck will shift normally and eco mode (MDS) will not engage. The vibration and drone is a normal characteristic of eco mode

The ANC is a whole problem in itself. Mine has been bypassed using a harness from Crutchfield. Use Google to search this forum, the built in search function is terrible

Ram1500Night

Reaction score
A simple fix for this is use the gear selector, and place it in 8th gear. The truck will shift normally and eco mode (MDS) will not engage. The vibration and drone is a normal characteristic of eco mode

The ANC is a whole problem in itself. Mine has been bypassed using a harness from Crutchfield. Use Google to search this forum, the built in search function is terrible
Will try that. Have a new 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Night Edition. Previous Ram wasn’t dual exhaust (2017 ST Classic) and it was fine. Its minor but annoying. Like shifting a manual too early. It’s like they are trying to hard to save a bit of gas.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck engine has been rattling since day one in eco, specially on cold starts or accelerating!

Just kidding everybody, my truck is always on eco, meaning eco diesel .

On my 2011 Ram with the Hemi, I do recall the different tone of the engine when it switched from eco to 8 cylinder modes, the transition was seamless as far of transmission performance but the engine sound was definitely noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread