5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eco Mode Indicator Light

ryelinek

Reaction score
Crazy question maybe and almost embarrassed to ask but where on earth in the dash is the Eco Light?

I’m either blind or mine is broken and not showing because I’ve never noticed it haha....

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is located on the upper left of the dash instrument cluster next to where my coolant temp gauge is. Lights up ECO in green.

Fozz

Reaction score
Hi, I got my limited 3 weeks ago, I noticed the ECO Mode light indicator never lights on, I already activated it on the menu, but it will never show, not even when I let my foot go off the gas. also the milage I get from my truck is a lot worse than what I use to get with my 2016 limited. So I am suspecting also that the MDS is not working, any ideas?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anything is possible. But your truck is still learning and breaking in. I didn't see much of the eco light for the first 500 miles or so. Now it's on all the time and I can feel the MDS in the pedal... but not as strong as my 16 which is a nice change. I hated that bog and girgle. Nothing like that now, very smooth transition.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Hi, I got my limited 3 weeks ago, I noticed the ECO Mode light indicator never lights on, I already activated it on the menu, but it will never show, not even when I let my foot go off the gas. also the milage I get from my truck is a lot worse than what I use to get with my 2016 limited. So I am suspecting also that the MDS is not working, any ideas?
Can you post your truck specs in your sig so we can help problem solve? Thanks!

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ECO light seems to be tied somewhat, if not directly, to MDS function. I played with it for a day and found it pointless. Cruising at highway speeds the ECO light never came on! Had to be going below 60 to ever see it. If you pay close attention and have music/HVAC off, you can definitely hear/feel the MDS kick on/off at low speeds. MDS should operate as low as 20 MPH, maybe even lower. I'm not sure if mileage on a new truck has anything to do with it, but having the truck for 3 weeks I'd imagine you've surpassed any requirement there.

Fozz

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers I will pay attention on the feel of the truck today with no music, thanks.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine comes on all the time...whenever I let off the gas a bit on the highway, tooling around town, etc. And I have <100 miles on the truck :)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just don’t baby the brakes, or they’ll start squealing...
Yeah, you guys have me nervous about that. With eTorque's regenerative braking and 'cautious' driving during break-in in rainy weather this weekend, I feel like I've hardly used the brakes!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anything is possible. But your truck is still learning and breaking in. I didn't see much of the eco light for the first 500 miles or so. Now it's on all the time and I can feel the MDS in the pedal... but not as strong as my 16 which is a nice change. I hated that bog and girgle. Nothing like that now, very smooth transition.

Ditto. In fact, the first three days I don't think it came on once even though I had set it in the menu. As I built up some miles I began to see it more frequently. I will say it seems a little lazy to come on when I take my foot off the gas pedal compared to my 2010 & 2014s.

regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 003178 miles.

Remixznflow

Reaction score
I'm just now seeing better fuel mileage and the ecolight regularly... i just reached about 1500 miles. It definitely comes on ALOT now. MPG has picked up about 2 to 3 depending and my fuel is lasting alot longer... very happy. I think if you arent seeing it yet you probably need a nice long road trip or a few weeks of regular driving. Like others in this thread have said it has to "learn"....

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The eco light is most definitely for signifying that MDS is active. I have the instant MPG readout turned on in the upper left corner of my gauge cluster and the eco light does not correspond to mpg, throttle pressure, gear position, speed, or anything else. However, when its on, I can hear MDS, and when I can't hear the MDS, I don't see the eco light. For the record, I also had to turn mine on. I played with the menus before I took delivery of the truck and did it then, so I never even drove the truck without it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/