5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

duratrac or ko2

armymp1130

Reaction score
Im looking into getting either ko2’s or the wrangler duratracs need opinions size would be 275/60r20

ChimneyJim

Reaction score
Im looking into getting either ko2’s or the wrangler duratracs need opinions size would be 275/60r20
Don't know abut the ko2s but the duratrac in that size keeps you out of Light Truck tires if you didn't know. This is probably what I'm going to go with. Less load carrying that I don't need anyway, much cheaper and probably better ride quality.

CJR28

Reaction score
Ive heard great things about both duratracs and ko2s. Im planning on going with duratracs based on winter weather performance. I also like the tread pattern and design a bit more. I dont think you can go wrong with either. Also the Falken Wildpeak ATW3s (Not the ATW3a’s that come with the offroad package) are a excellent tire with rave reviews, theyre just a bit heavy in LT sizes.

armymp1130

Reaction score
i have the falkens now but i think my alignment was off cause their vibrating and ive had them balance twice now so kindve just thinking of upgrading

puba08

Reaction score
Duratracs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CJR28

Reaction score
i have the falkens now but i think my alignment was off cause their vibrating and ive had them balance twice now so kindve just thinking of upgrading
I have also heard that they are very hard to balance, a buddy has had issues on his 2500

Ranger

Reaction score
I had the KO2s on my last truck (half ton). The tires were incredible in the snow. Road noise was more than OEM; however, given their tread pattern, load rating, and wet/snow performance they were absolutely worth the trade off for slightly more noise and slightly less comfort.

if you want to drive the speed limit through a winter storm, or leave your transfer case in auto instead of 4HI on an unplowed Highway, or forget what hydroplaning feels like ...... go with the KO2

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I had KO2’s on my last truck as well (‘12 Titan), and was very impressed. They had 40k miles on them when I traded it (rotated them every 5k), and still has some life left. I will say the winter performance was starting to slip a bit ( :ROFLMAO:.... :rolleyes:) by that point.

However, I will say, they absolutely destroyed my highway mileage. I could occasionally muster 17mpg before in that truck, and after them I never saw over 14. Usually was more like 13.

I did a quick comparison between the two on tirerack, and as ChimneyJim and Cjr282 mentioned, the LT designation comes with a 9lbs/tire premium - 55 vs 46. If I were buying today, I’d probably go with the Duratracs if the performance was basically equal (which it seems to be according to tirerack, anyway).

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the KO2s on my last truck (half ton). The tires were incredible in the snow. Road noise was more than OEM; however, given their tread pattern, load rating, and wet/snow performance they were absolutely worth the trade off for slightly more noise and slightly less comfort.

if you want to drive the speed limit through a winter storm, or leave your transfer case in auto instead of 4HI on an unplowed Highway, or forget what hydroplaning feels like ...... go with the KO2

I had KO2s on my old Ram rebel, and Had the duratracs stock on this second gen one.
Between those, KO2s for the above stated reasons.

I think both tires are good, but I think the KO2 was better.

johnyb777

Reaction score
I had KO2’s on my last truck as well (‘12 Titan), and was very impressed. They had 40k miles on them when I traded it (rotated them every 5k), and still has some life left. I will say the winter performance was starting to slip a bit ( :ROFLMAO:.... :rolleyes:) by that point.

However, I will say, they absolutely destroyed my highway mileage. I could occasionally muster 17mpg before in that truck, and after them I never saw over 14. Usually was more like 13.

I did a quick comparison between the two on tirerack, and as ChimneyJim and Cjr282 mentioned, the LT designation comes with a 9lbs/tire premium - 55 vs 46. If I were buying today, I’d probably go with the Duratracs if the performance was basically equal (which it seems to be according to tirerack, anyway).

I thought I was unique in seeing a huge drop in MPG with KO2s. I also noticed very poor traction on wet roads with KO2s after about 40k miles on them. They still looked great, lots of tread, etc., but I had to be really light on the throttle in my 2009 F150 to start moving at a traffic light if it was raining or had recently rained. Considering the 5.4L in that had much less power than my Hemi, I am likely not going KO2s in my RAM.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up about the poor MPG with the KO2's. (y)

Looks like I will be staying with the Duratracs.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up about the poor MPG with the KO2's. (y)

Looks like I will be staying with the Duratracs.

Now that I think about it, with the last rebel with KO2s (and a nice exhaust I loved to hear), I think my mpg was like 13.8mpg around town?
With the Gen2 rebel on duratracs it got up to like 14.7 around town.
With the mopar CAI I haven't gotten below 15 at all, 15.3+ on average.

Now that the Toyo AT3s are breaking in, same there, but with more traffic lately.
To note, according to tiresize.com, the Duratracs are 33.2s
The Toyos with the white letters are 33.4s. I actually believe my trip computer is UNDER estimating the MPG with these tires.
The truck stays in MDS longer up inclines and a few other things that make me think that. I do believe the rolling resistance is lower, but the tires a smidge larger. I think I'm getting closer to 15.5, I might run a hand calculation to confirm it on a tank.

To me the 4 best A/T tires for this truck, in no particular order:
- Duratrac, BFG KO2, Toyo AT3, Falken AT3W.
They have their plusses, honestly I could see running any of them and being happy.
I've had 3 of the 4 and none of them are in the "WOW I HATED THOSE AND WILL NEVER RUN THEM AGAIN"

Though I only had the KO2s for about 30,000 miles.
If rain performance goes and noise shows up around 40,000, I can understand why some people talk about those issues.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Goodyear tires are terrible....way too many issues with them from many people.
If you want LTs...go with KO2
If you're sticking with P rated....Falken Wildpeak.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I thought I was unique in seeing a huge drop in MPG with KO2s. I also noticed very poor traction on wet roads with KO2s after about 40k miles on them. They still looked great, lots of tread, etc., but I had to be really light on the throttle in my 2009 F150 to start moving at a traffic light if it was raining or had recently rained. Considering the 5.4L in that had much less power than my Hemi, I am likely not going KO2s in my RAM.
Definitely not alone. :) And it’s funny you mention the traction.. when I sold my Titan, the KO2’s also had around 40k. And while they looked fine, as you said, I had definitely had a more slippery winter leading up to when I sold it. In fact, after that winter, I had basically decided I was going to replace them before the next winter.

......ended up not mattering, as it turns out new trucks come with new tires! Who knew?? ;)

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Goodyear tires are terrible....way too many issues with them from many people.
If you want LTs...go with KO2
If you're sticking with P rated....Falken Wildpeak.

Yes, that's why they got the nickname "Goodforayear".

Goodyears are notoriously hard to balance and are often out of round. The set of Duratracs I ran showed up at my house with sticky weights double stacked and two rows deep. They also get really loud after the first couple of cross rotations. The rain traction is HORRENDOUS which you'd expect if you look at the tread pattern. Lots of oddly shaped void for hydroplaning and very little surface contact.

I will say though, they're lightweight, fuel efficient, and do well in mud and deep snow. They also seem to last a long time.

The KO2s I ran on my Gladiator started wearing odd at only 5,000 miles. I hadn't seen that with other tires. Not sure if I just got a freak set or what but I rotate my stuff religiously and I didn't see good wear pattern from those.

The Falken A/T3W is the best tire on the market hands down. I was one of the first guys to run them when they first came out in winter 2016 and they've been an amazing tire ever since.

CJR28

Reaction score

Goodyears are notoriously hard to balance and are often out of round. The set of Duratracs I ran showed up at my house with sticky weights double stacked and two rows deep. They also get really loud after the first couple of cross rotations. The rain traction is HORRENDOUS which you'd expect if you look at the tread pattern. Lots of oddly shaped void for hydroplaning and very little surface contact.

I will say though, they're lightweight, fuel efficient, and do well in mud and deep snow. They also seem to last a long time.

The KO2s I ran on my Gladiator started wearing odd at only 5,000 miles. I hadn't seen that with other tires. Not sure if I just got a freak set or what but I rotate my stuff religiously and I didn't see good wear pattern from those.

The Falken A/T3W is the best tire on the market hands down. I was one of the first guys to run them when they first came out in winter 2016 and they've been an amazing tire ever since.
Ive heard good things about the Falkens, but Ive heard of balancing issues on the LT rated tires. No matter what tire you go with theres always going to be some sort of setback whether theyre too heavy or not good in the rain after they start wearing.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Lmao! "Good4AYear" I like that one.
I have a buddy that works at Goodyear production in AZ. He always said that Goodyear is great for everything....except cars and trucks lol. He re-treads the aircraft tires and he says that all the left over recycled rubber gets sent out to be used in the car/truck tires. ALL OF IT

Users who are viewing this thread