5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual battery setups for a 1500 for 12v accessories?

mulebarn

Reaction score
Hey follks,

First time poster here. I’m wondering if anyone with the Hemi eTorque has installed a dual battery system for running things like a fridge, auxiliary lights, and so forth. I’m coming from the world of Toyotas where this is commonplace with well known, well made kits, but there is an absolute dearth of information online about Ram 1500s with dual battery setups. I’m particularly interested in learning if there are any special considerations for the eTorque engines, or is it just a typical BCDC battery isolator sitting between the start battery and the aux battery.

Thanks,
Gino

TittoPollito

Reaction score
I haven't looked into it recently as I did something different with my trailer/truck set up for the track but at one time (maybe still) SCD IIRC was the only place making a dual set up for the DT. It was the battery, mount box , and meter but it was like 4/5K a little steep for my pocket book.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't looked into it recently as I did something different with my trailer/truck set up for the track but at one time (maybe still) SCD IIRC was the only place making a dual set up for the DT. It was the battery, mount box , and meter but it was like 4/5K a little steep for my pocket book.
Google search for scd didn't come up with anything useful. You have a link?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pricey! Oh and it looks like they are putting it *under* the truck somewhere. :unsure: Not quite what I had in mind, but an interesting approach. Thanks for the links. :)

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Pricey! Oh and it looks like they are putting it *under* the truck somewhere. :unsure: Not quite what I had in mind, but an interesting approach. Thanks for the links. :)
You could always go with a Vararam or the MP CIA and add a second battery in the orig air box location and use a disconnect/meter like what they do for 12v - 12v charging for a pop or small camper. It was either on here or the Youtube someone used a 2500 PS battery box to mount a second battery. I think it takes some "modification" but you can make it work. I watched so many videos/read so many different posts that it all kind of blurred together sorry.

mulebarn

Reaction score
It’s a bit alarming in how little aftermarket support there is for these trucks. Coming from Toyota land, where it’s dead simple to install a Redarc BCDC and a second battery (AGM or Lithium), I can’t for the life of me figure out why Ram owners wouldn’t want a way to power a fridge and run various 12v accessories! And yeah, only the Aussie dudes seems to be publishing or making anything in this regard, which is funny because you can’t really buy a Ram in Oz; only a Ram that has been converted to right hand drive.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
It’s a bit alarming in how little aftermarket support there is for these trucks. Coming from Toyota land, where it’s dead simple to install a Redarc BCDC and a second battery (AGM or Lithium), I can’t for the life of me figure out why Ram owners wouldn’t want a way to power a fridge and run various 12v accessories! And yeah, only the Aussie dudes seems to be publishing or making anything in this regard, which is funny because you can’t really buy a Ram in Oz; only a Ram that has been converted to right hand drive.
i agree so little aftermarket support

my 1995 ram had plenty of room for a second battery
the 2022, 1500 not so much

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Your mileage may vary but at least in my part of the world the Ram along with every other full size truck is more of the soccer dad mobile than anything else. We have about 600 people just in my building at work, if you look in the parking lot about 70% of those are full size trucks and about 2/3 of that are Diesels that are used for a 15 mile round trip to work everyday, the rest is a mix of BMW, Mercedes, Tesla etc. other than the one OBS F350 I can bet you the most Off Road any have done is drive down a dirt road to a friends house (we are on the edge of a rural area). Heck we even have the unofficial Raptor and TRX clubs at work and all of them are cleaner then the day the guys took delivery.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
I am in the came boat with a nonce torque hemi. I really wish they would make an aftermarket battery tray tbh. I am thinking about going with a dc to dc solar mppt charger.

Vicdog

Reaction score
I put a battery in the bed with an isolator. I do have a cap. Changed isolator over to a renogy dc-dc charger. Works great. I run my 12V fridge 24/7, inverter, coffee maker, light, chargers.

HookedonRam

Reaction score
I put a battery in the bed with an isolator. I do have a cap. Changed isolator over to a renogy dc-dc charger. Works great. I run my 12V fridge 24/7, inverter, coffee maker, light, chargers.
Do you have pictures by any chance? Did you go with renogy dc2dc 50A mpp by any chance?

Accessory.Parts

Reaction score
Remember seeing this before. I don't remember if he has the Vararam or the Mopar Air Flow intake but it frees up the passenger side then he modded a 2500 battery box. Here's a link to the post:

1666728309917.png

Accessory.Parts

Reaction score
Remember seeing this before. I don't remember if he has the Vararam or the Mopar Air Flow intake but it frees up the passenger side then he modded a 2500 battery box. Here's a link to the post:

View attachment 142185
@RAM Patriot 's build by the way.

HookedonRam

Reaction score

View attachment 142185
yeah, I saw that before and I was hoping someone had come up with a better option by now.

Vicdog

Reaction score
Do you have pictures by any chance? Did you go with renogy dc2dc 50A mpp by any chance?
It’s a renogy 30 amp dc with mppt. Works great. pics of what part? I have the Solar input wired for a portable panel if needed. The renogy has been detecting the truck running fine so far. I did not wire an engine running wire.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too came from Toyota world and am spoiled by the aftermarket support. However, on my 4Runner I ran a LiFePO4 battery with solar controlled by Renogy solar controller. Fridge's left on 24/7 and no problem, and battery would last 2 days of straight overcast days. I had a 100w solar panel mounted on my RTT and that thing's so old i think it's only pushing out 80W max.

Anyways, I am planning to do the same setup with my etorque hemi. I'm not worried about battery getting drained, as it has a reserve bank that I can access with a push of button on the battery itself. it's like a built in jumpstart feature. To me, going down this route is both less wiring and less headache, and the LiFePO4 battery lasts longer than the traditional AGM batteries.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I too came from Toyota world and am spoiled by the aftermarket support. However, on my 4Runner I ran a LiFePO4 battery with solar controlled by Renogy solar controller. Fridge's left on 24/7 and no problem, and battery would last 2 days of straight overcast days. I had a 100w solar panel mounted on my RTT and that thing's so old i think it's only pushing out 80W max.

Anyways, I am planning to do the same setup with my etorque hemi. I'm not worried about battery getting drained, as it has a reserve bank that I can access with a push of button on the battery itself. it's like a built in jumpstart feature. To me, going down this route is both less wiring and less headache, and the LiFePO4 battery lasts longer than the traditional AGM batteries.
Are you planning on replacing your starter battery with an Antigravity LiFePO4 battery? I assume this because you mention a built in jump start button.

I’ve considered something like this, but I’m not sure how I’d tie a solar charger controller into the system.

e55amg2

Reaction score

I was looking into something like this, but mainly so I can power an inverter while the truck isn't running. Also was considering a bed outlet to charge tools, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread