5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drove in 4wd high for short distance am i ok?

country4life

Reaction score
hi i accidentally drove in 4wd high for about 10minutes in my 2020 ram 1500 sport is it ok?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shouldn’t be a problem at all. Heck in my old Sierra the owners manual actually says it’s good to put it in 4wd high every so often for a short distance to lubricate the power terrain.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I try to do that about once a month when the road is straight just to keep everything lubed .

You should be able to use 4 auto for that, no? Even if 4wd doesn't actually engage in auto while driving straight on pavement, I believe the only thing that isn't working (as opposed to 4hi) is the clutch isn't engaged, but everything else WRT 4wd should be turning?

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I try to do that about once a month when the road is straight just to keep everything lubed .
I do the same thing. I drive out of my neighborhood in 4hi every month. it's about .5 miles and has one turn.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
You should be able to use 4 auto for that, no? Even if 4wd doesn't actually engage in auto while driving straight on pavement, I believe the only thing that isn't working (as opposed to 4hi) is the clutch isn't engaged, but everything else WRT 4wd should be turning?
Sounds right but I don't have 4WD auto .

leaddude

Reaction score
I feel like I was an idiot for buying my 2020 Ram 3500 Dually with it's sluggish 4-wheel drive. You just CAN'T steer the wheel in 4WD more than about 1/4 turn left or right withot incurring binding and bucking from under the hood. Negotiatiing a parking space is fruitless.
Is there a relatively cheap fix? A recall? A 4wd removal Kit? An aftermarket add-on? Virgin Sacrifice? What SHOULD I have purchased? For $80+ G's, I really expected more.

3500 HD Dually w/ HO Cummins, 3.73 Rear End, 6-speed AISIN
Longhorn Limited (loaded); we pull a 35 ft, 15,000 lb. 5th wheel. Effortlessly.
As long a it's in a straight line.
No other complaints, really, but, this WAS my first rodeo, and I apparently blew it.

Last edited:

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I feel like I was an idiot for buying my 2020 Ram 3500 Dually with it's sluggish 4-wheel drive. You just CAN'T steer the wheel in 4WD more than about 1/4 turn left or right withot incurring binding and bucking from under the hood. Negotiatiing a parking space is fruitless.
Is there a relatively cheap fix? A recall? A 4wd removal Kit? An aftermarket add-on? Virgin Sacrifice? What SHOULD I have purchased? For $80+ G's, I really expected more.

No other complaints, really, but, this WAS my first rodeo, and I apparently blew it.
4WD should only be used in low-traction situations. So if that parking space is dry pavement the steering problem is caused by the nut behind the steering wheel. ;)

If there's something else going on with it, you'll probably have better luck asking at https://hdrams.com

country4life

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 sport and the 4wd works flawlessly off road I just bumped 4wd hi button when I was leaving Home Depot and drove for 5minutes if that before Noticing I’ve had the dealer look it over nothing is wrong with it and truck drives solid much happier with this truck over my 17 longhorn

silver billet

Reaction score

You should never be using 4wd on pavement and/or parking lots. Put it in 2wd and the bucking will go away.

country4life

Reaction score
You should never be using 4wd on pavement and/or parking lots. Put it in 2wd and the bucking will go away.
i agree but i accidentally bumped my 4wd hi button when leaving home depot and drove through the parking lot made 2 turns no problem before realizing haha had the dealer check it over nothing is wrong with it for short distance won't hurt anything! and possibly the 2020 ram has a saftey feature to not engage when on dry payment even though i was in 4wd hi in was blinking on the dash letting me know... you would have to drive for at least 30-45minutes to wear out anything

country4life

Reaction score
so you don't think driving out of home depot in 4wd hi and making 2 turns damaged anything my dealer says its fine
and the light was blinking on the dash i think the 2020 has a feature where it detects to not go into 4wd when dry pavement as the
light was blinking on the dash

silver billet

Reaction score
You absolutely did not damage a thing. I would just pay attention a little more to make sure you are running in 2wd on dry pavement, but these trucks aren't made from plastic, you can't possibly damage anything in 10 minutes unless you're jumping ditches or something equally "serious".

Fatherof3

Reaction score
so you don't think driving out of home depot in 4wd hi and making 2 turns damaged anything my dealer says its fine
and the light was blinking on the dash i think the 2020 has a feature where it detects to not go into 4wd when dry pavement as the
light was blinking on the dash
No I don’t think you damaged anything . I only use it on dry pavement when in a straight line but a couple turns by accident won’t hurt it and if it did you’d know it .

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Don't listen to these guys. They are all just pulling your leg. Fact is the truck is trashed, junk, kaput. Tell you what, since I am a nice guy, I'll take it off your hands. Just sign the title and let me know a good time to come by and I will get that junk off your property free of charge.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is one thing you need to watch for after an occurrence like this. Let us know if you see the dreaded “ID10T” error code pop up. 😆

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Come on. Fess up. How many of you out there had to Google that code to see what it was?

Users who are viewing this thread